• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Werewolf by Night #32 so expensive?

74 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2019 at 8:37 PM, Callaway29 said:

I'm confused...you just answered your own question...

For real though...feels overpriced to me as well.

I handed off a small stack of books to comiclink for selling in the Last auction. My Werewolf by Night 32 graded a 7.0

Imagine my surprise when the final hammer was $1289.

I was unaware of the MCU and series speculation driving this issue as red hot. I thought about $100.

It was an unexpected thrill.

Can't wait to see the Moon Knight show.  Moon Knight is one of my favorite comics. The first series was awesome to read. 
I hope they do it right.  I'm glad I picked up WWBN 32 in CGC 9.4 many years ago before the prices shot thru the roof for what seems like just speculation buys.  

On 10/5/2019 at 12:43 PM, grapeape said:

I handed off a small stack of books to comiclink for selling in the Last auction. My Werewolf by Night 32 graded a 7.0

Imagine my surprise when the final hammer was $1289.

I was unaware of the MCU and series speculation driving this issue as red hot. I thought about $100.

It was an unexpected thrill.

The TV show announcement was timed perfectly for me. I had my CGC 9.2 W undercopy up in the Clink August auction - it ended at $3555, which is more than what I paid for my CGC 9.4 W ($3360) last fall. 

This summer was a good one for Marvel Bronze Age 12 month or shorter spec plays due to all of the SDCC and D23 announcements. Since the SA and BA are getting fairly tapped out now, it is likely the CA and Modern Marvel keys that will offer the best spec plays for next year. While I expect the FF and X-Men franchises to see plenty of announcements over the next couple of years, the prices have already had a major spec jump on the SA and BA keys from those runs.

Edited by kimik

12 hours ago, kimik said:

The TV show announcement was timed perfectly for me. I had my CGC 9.2 W undercopy up in the Clink August auction - it ended at $3555, which is more than what I paid for my CGC 9.4 W ($3360) last fall. 

This summer was a good one for Marvel Bronze Age 12 month or shorter spec plays due to all of the SDCC and D23 announcements. Since the SA and BA are getting fairly tapped out now, it is likely the CA and Modern Marvel keys that will offer the best spec plays for next year. While I expect the FF and X-Men franchises to see plenty of announcements over the next couple of years, the prices have already had a major spec jump on the SA and BA keys from those runs.

Agreed. Many FF and X-Men have been speculated over FMV for a long time. Congratulations on getting the WBN 32 9.4 as I believe despite the naysayers there is still room for growth. Getting $3555 for the 9.2 had to feel great.

I won't bore you but I switched over from comic collecting to original comic art collecting in 1996. I've sold off 98% of my silver age books. I had lost touch with most valuations on books 1970 and up because I'm not a collector in the CGC age. MY WBN 32 honestly is a comic book I bought as a six year old for a quarter. I was hoping to get $130-$150 to cover the grading and commission and pocket some dough. I checked with two weeks to go and it was at $455. I was blown away to get $1289. I called my brother and told him to look through his books and yep! He has WBN 32 and 33. He's going to submit them to C-Link.

So I am one of the people that bought a raw WBN 32 and was lucky enough to have to graded a 9.6 years ago. Having been on a bit of a hiatus from collecting seriously I just noticed a few weeks ago a copy sold for $12000 last October (according to GPA). Was this a legit sale? I understood it must have sold officially but it seems astronomically high.

A CGC 9.8 just sold for $31K in the Heritage auction. Seemingly an impressive sale for a bronze book in 9.8, with a character that's not anywhere near the level of Wolverine status. However, a far cry from the $50K C-Link sale in early 2019.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.39.17 PM.png

5 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

A CGC 9.8 just sold for $31K in the Heritage auction. Seemingly an impressive sale for a bronze book in 9.8, with a character that's not anywhere near the level of Wolverine status. However, a far cry from the $50K C-Link sale in early 2019.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.39.17 PM.png

Maybe that $12000 was just misleading or a mistake. It all seems crazy but it might just be time to sell mine 🤣.

2 minutes ago, ignimbrite said:

Maybe that $12000 was just misleading or a mistake. It all seems crazy but it might just be time to sell mine 🤣.

Would be curious where the sale was reported. I guess it's possible, and it was maybe around that at one point, but it's high now. Here's a recent sale.

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 3.57.20 PM.png

1 hour ago, Vikingreed said:

I'd wait to sell. At least until the 1st trailer hits. Books are down across the board right now.

Probably right. Just hoping to cash out and find myself a nice Frank Cho or Adam Hughes Cover.