• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press, or not to press?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

That is the question.

Also as to whether cleaning it - or any other non-restorative based process - would be able to increase the grade? As I'm only really familiar with pressing.

All comments are welcomed :x

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ad0a41cce9624c04889e92ae1ba0092e.jpg

210900948_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.d6c94c51650bd40bbdef3225e9eefdfb.jpg

Edited by Bart Allen

why slab? Are you selling? Value seems to be anywhere from 125 to 250 in cgc 9.4 to 9.8.  If sell for 125 is marginal to slab in my opinion due to cost of slab and shipping eating 50% of the profits.

If it is a 9.2 it is $35 and definitely not worth slabbing.

Risky to slab this book in my opinion

Edited by Artboy99

Hi: I see no reason to press. I once invested a hot press with almost super-human powers, but have learned that in a surprising number of cases there can be very little up-side, and definite potential for harm.

The whole hobby is getting so expensive these days; if forced to choose between the advice of Artboy99 and Krishoseign above (assuming the latter is being serious), I would take Artboy99's. 

Here's my view: collecting is all about enjoyment, at least for me. If you enjoy slabbing as some do, then slab away.  What I might caution you against, however, is adopting as your unconscious mantra "press and slab," as if the pressing and slabbing logically amounted to one choice, or a "single service." The matter can be confusing, especially when the party doing the grading is the same that offering to press. In my view, an ethical lapse unsurprising from CGC, especially when it was a monopoly.

But two different services are involved, and I'd try to bear that in mind, so you can choose wisely on the question.
Unless you have unlimited funds and the very idea of pressing somehow brings you joy, I would press only as necessary. And do my best to learn what that means. Enjoy yourself!!

Edited by phampton17371