• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 4 damaged in transit
1 1

14 posts in this topic

So long story short, a USPS mailed item was damaged.  I don't need a packing lecture - the item was bubble wrapped and double boxed and still got damaged to the extent that USPS actually honored the claim and gave me the book back.  

So it looks like something extremely heavy fell on the box because the case shattered in one spot (think of when a rock hits a windshield) and part of the case pushed into the book leaving some damage - removed some color at Caps knee and left some holes on the cover and page 1 by Wasp's knee.  I posted a photo of the inside of the cover looking out, so you can see the light coming through the areas where the case punctured the cover.  The rest of the book was undamaged.  The jumping off point here was 6.5 Universal with Off White pages.  What will this damage drop me to?

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

First, let me say that I'm really sorry this happened to you... :pullhair:

I looked this over closely, and I do have a couple of observations: The bad news is the damage occurred on a colorful area of the front cover; if it had occurred in the white area or on the back cover you'd likely be much better off. As it is, it's more noticeable, and therefore the grade reduction will likely be a bit more severe. And, since you apparently removed this book from the broken holder, they may treat it as if it's never been graded, even if you submit the label with it. You may have a phone call or two in your future in order to straighten this out... :(

The good news is that the damage is still relatively minor, and the damage to the first page is minimal. I also like the look of the book; it has a nice vibrant appearance, which always helps whenever you're evaluating flaws. I think you're still in the Fine range, but now a 5.5 or 6.0 seems like a realistic possibility.  

My gut told me I was looking at a 1.0 drop but I wanted to get some opinions.  It still presents wonderfully and when I get it regraded I am going to just submit it as a new submission and when I get it back I'll notify CGC to remove the old registration out of the database.  

Like I said, it's basically gravy since I've been paid for the book via USPS insurance and I got the book back.  It's essentially a free book.

16 hours ago, Darthbryan said:

My gut told me I was looking at a 1.0 drop but I wanted to get some opinions.  It still presents wonderfully and when I get it regraded I am going to just submit it as a new submission and when I get it back I'll notify CGC to remove the old registration out of the database.  

Like I said, it's basically gravy since I've been paid for the book via USPS insurance and I got the book back.  It's essentially a free book.

Well, that's great to hear...  :foryou:

that sucks that this happened to your book, I would personally think or treat it as a 1.0 grade drop too as its on the front cover and very noticeable and pushes through the page to the second. 

if your resubmitting as a new submission you might want to check if a pressing can help save a bit of the drop as the back cover and spine has some bends that would come out. I would check it for a pressing Candidate.

Sorry for the bad luck....Receiving a crushed box is not fun. It in fact happened to me today with a box from CGC via pickup from UPS store. Turned excitement into a bit of panic, but luckily my 9.6 ASM 129 survived the trauma, as did I.

IMG_1916 copy.jpg