• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage vs Comic Link vs Comic Connect
3 3

134 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, Spiderturtle said:

Heritage sends out their other collectible catalogs to comic bidders. I get a boat load of their other catalogs sent to me. Do they do the same for non comic bidders?  Do non comic bidders get comic catalogs?  

The catalogs are a waste IMHO. I get them (as a comic auction bidder/buyer), and they go straight into recycle. It is much easier to just look at everything online.

Edited by kimik

26 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

^ Same with me too

I second that. I think the emails are fine as it doesn't have a carbon footprint, but still gets the job done. The catalogues just seem like a waste of paper and money imop. But maybe I'm turning this into too much of an environmental thing lol.

The one big thing that I prefer looking books up online as opposed to the catalog is that you can sort them anyway you want and save the books you have an eye on. Sometimes I'm too lazy looking through the entire catalog especially the really thick ones like HA.

26 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I second that. I think the emails are fine as it doesn't have a carbon footprint, but still gets the job done. The catalogues just seem like a waste of paper and money imop. But maybe I'm turning this into too much of an environmental thing lol.

I recycle the catalogs too.  My guess is that the printed catalogs are part of building a "prestige" image that helps them attract consignors.  Both Heritage and ComicConnect do them, and my sense is that they believe (or want consignors to believe) that the print catalogs reach a select group of wealthy collectors / investors who do not rely on the internet.  (It's worth noting that both of those companies play up multiple alternative bidding methods including phone and proxy, presumably for this same segment of the market.)

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I recycle the catalogs too.  My guess is that the printed catalogs are part of building a "prestige" image that helps them attract consignors.  Both Heritage and ComicConnect do them, and my sense is that they believe (or want consignors to believe) that the print catalogs reach a select group of wealthy collectors / investors who do not rely on the internet.  (It's worth noting that both of those companies play up multiple alternative bidding methods including phone and proxy, presumably for this same segment of the market.)

i'm sure there's a small pool of bidders that don't like to use the internet.  For those people, the catalog would be invaluable

On 8/7/2019 at 6:53 PM, Hamlet said:

I just mailed off a small batch of raw books to MyComicShop for the first time.  From what I have seen, they seem like a good spot to auction fairly low-dollar SA/BA/CA keys if you don’t want to do the work of scanning/shipping them ( and I sure don’t ).

I sent stuff like ASM 252, 316, FF 67, Marvel Premiere 1, Marvel Feature 1, Thor 337, etc.  Nothing all that high dollar, mostly $50-100 books. Stuff that would be a pain to sell and ship individually, but worthwhile to ship as a group to them.  From what I can see, their grading is very tight, but people have figured that out and seem to bid appropriately.

Hopefully it goes reasonably well 🙂

My books got processed today so I could assign them to auctions or set a fixed price for them.  I really like their setup for ease of use so far.  I’ve put a few books into the upcoming auctions and put the rest at fixed prices.  I must have priced one a little low because it sold while I was pricing the others 🙂

Their grading is really strict.  Looking at their sales data, many of their raw books sell for more than a CGC of the same grade.  The book that sold was a 9.0 Secret Wars 8 that I priced at $100.  It was nicer than a 9.0, but how much more than $100 could I expect to get for any raw copy of that book?  Hopefully the buyer is happy with it. 

On 8/29/2019 at 9:48 PM, Hamlet said:

My books got processed today so I could assign them to auctions or set a fixed price for them.  I really like their setup for ease of use so far.  I’ve put a few books into the upcoming auctions and put the rest at fixed prices.  I must have priced one a little low because it sold while I was pricing the others 🙂

Their grading is really strict.  Looking at their sales data, many of their raw books sell for more than a CGC of the same grade.  The book that sold was a 9.0 Secret Wars 8 that I priced at $100.  It was nicer than a 9.0, but how much more than $100 could I expect to get for any raw copy of that book?  Hopefully the buyer is happy with it. 

I’m going to try them for the raw stuff.  I like it that they have it eBay and their own site.  Free advertising on eBay.  If someone wanted to buy and save 10 percent they would just need to go to mycomicshop.com

I have been selling  through and trading with mycomicshop  for several years.

Actually planning on delovering a box with some of my better books to Heritage in Los Angeles  for auction in either their weekly  or their November catalog auction.

Hopefully I will net enough to pay for the used electric car I boought for my wife last month

On 9/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, jmg3637 said:

I have been selling  through and trading with mycomicshop  for several years.

Actually planning on delovering a box with some of my better books to Heritage in Los Angeles  for auction in either their weekly  or their November catalog auction.

Hopefully I will net enough to pay for the used electric car I boought for my wife last month

Yeah, I'm really liking their setup.  I've had pretty good luck with the first batch of books I sent them.  I sent all single books to them in my first consignment.  I'm going to try some lots next.  I saw someone get decent money for some McFarlane Amazings in one of the weekly auctions, so I figured I'd send my extras in and see how they do.  The challenge with the lots is the shipping and that they take 25% or a minimum of $12 for them, so you have to think through whether they are going to be worth selling that way.

I like the way everything is kept track of on their website.  It takes them awhile to grade the books and get them set up on the website, but once they are in you have complete control over setting the prices or putting them in auctions.