• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage vs Comic Link vs Comic Connect
3 3

134 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

I find it off putting that Comiclink Auctions don't include scans of the back of the book.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here then.........word is that CL is so happy with their no back cover auction results performance that they are now considering removing all front cover scans also.  lol

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here then.........word is that CL is so happy with their no back cover auction results performance that they are now considering removing all front cover scans also.  lol

It will be like a Mystery Box. They can continue to whittle from there. Remove the PQ from the description. Even better the label type...Universal, Restored, Qualified? Better look up those cert numbers!

CL does provide some back cover scans limited to just high profile books. Although I heard that you can request a back cover scan if you email or call them. 

It seems Josh and co. are pretty satisfied with how their auctions run having the same format since they first started auctioning books I believe. No need to put extra $ towards upgrading I guess.

I also prefer that each of the major auction houses have different ways auctioning comics and OA so bidders can have their own choices on where/how to bid and of course implementing different strategies in bidding rather than just limited to one kind. 

I've emailed comic link for a pic of the back of a copy of daredevil #7 and they sent it within 24 hours. 

I was looking at a low grade restored copy of hulk #1 on comic connect and I couldn't see the restoration from the scans, so I emailed them for more info, and they actually zoomed in on the restoration and circled it for me. 

I didn't end up buying that hulk and I've never actually purchased from comic connect, but I've had good experiences with both. I've bought a few things from comic link. 

On 8/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, Darthbryan said:

After watching an X-Men 1 8.0 set a new high water mark on Heritage this weekend I got to thinking about which auction house offers the best return for sellers, specifically for higher dollar silver age books.  I tend to sell on ebay for lower valued slabs but in the event I ever sell the five figured books I'm wondering who regularly realizes the highest prices after commissions? 

I will say I do much better with my auctions on eBay for post 1975, but that doesnt mean vintage doesnt sell well on eBay.  For me selling bigger books with auction houses like C-Link or C-Connect is mainly for risk avoidance.  My threshold for eBay is about 2k and under.  2K and higher I let the big boys handle them with taking care of the marketing and shipping of the item.  Makes my life easier.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:24 PM, pickycollector said:

:mad:

I thought I was winning a book tonight on Comic Connect...

...but then came an extended bidding period of 3 min, then another one, and another one..

I am done bidding on that site

If you’re a seller this is very friendly to you.  As a buyer who mostly does eBay it takes getting used to.  It’s more of a traditional auction that gives the other bidders a chance to consider. That said, the “other three” are often where you can get the hot and rare books because it’s a sellers market.

The recent Key Comics Auction on ComicConnect was really fun to watch how the timers kept resetting due to a bidding war.  That pedigree’d X-men 12 in 9.8 with the bright colors was a battle of wills (and pocket books).  You’d probably never see a book like that go for that price on eBay.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:33 AM, Abibliophobia said:

If you’re a seller this is very friendly to you.  As a buyer who mostly does eBay it takes getting used to.  It’s more of a traditional auction that gives the other bidders a chance to consider. That said, the “other three” are often where you can get the hot and rare books because it’s a sellers market.

The recent Key Comics Auction on ComicConnect was really fun to watch how the timers kept resetting due to a bidding war.  That pedigree’d X-men 12 in 9.8 with the bright colors was a battle of wills (and pocket books).  You’d probably never see a book like that go for that price on eBay.

For Comic Connect I put in my highest bid with 2 minutes left and let it ride...if someone wants to pay more than GPA or FMV for the book, then they can have it. I have won 3 or four books under GPA with that approach within the last couple auctions.

2 hours ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Question on what I think is a new feature on Heritage. I noticed in the sold archives for the “make an offer to owner” button there’s now a price listed. Is this price just a guideline or are sellers using it as the actual asking price? 

Could you show a screenshot of an example? I’ve been to the area you’re talking about and think I know what you’re looking for. I feel it could be one of two things though and just need to see exactly what you’re asking about.

46 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Could you show a screenshot of an example? I’ve been to the area you’re talking about and think I know what you’re looking for. I feel it could be one of two things though and just need to see exactly what you’re asking about.

Sure thing!

B2142935-C937-409E-82F6-FCED822BDC10.jpeg

4 hours ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

Sure thing!

B2142935-C937-409E-82F6-FCED822BDC10.jpeg

Ok, so I believe that is the lowest possible price you can send as an offer to the current owner. It’s like whatever the book sold for plus an additional percentage Heritage requires. I’m not sure that’s new though. I’ve seen that option for some time now.

Edited by LDarkseid1

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Ok, so I believe that is the lowest possible price you can send as an offer to the current owner. It’s like whatever the book sold for plus an additional percentage Heritage requires. I’m not sure that’s new though. I’ve seen that option for some time now.

The former is definitely correct; that's how it's explained to me when I put two things up for sale this morning. I can't confirm as to the newness of the option though.

On 8/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Ah, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for confirming!

On 8/29/2020 at 6:57 PM, bpc3qh said:

The former is definitely correct; that's how it's explained to me when I put two things up for sale this morning. I can't confirm as to the newness of the option though.

On Heritage, Has anyone actually bought anything from the "Green" Buy now offer? Or sold? I submitted one for the amount listed and never heard a thing. I noticed a few have a disclaimer like this "The owner of this item indicated they would sell this item at this amount on Jan 1, 2021, and it may no longer be available at that amount."

Does that mean someone else likely hit the green buy now button?

I emailed HA and did not hear back but had a few offers on the table. 

Edited by PKJ

3 hours ago, PKJ said:
On 8/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, bpc3qh said:

On Heritage, Has anyone actually bought anything from the "Green" Buy now offer? Or sold? I submitted one for the amount listed and never heard a thing. I noticed a few have a disclaimer like this "The owner of this item indicated they would sell this item at this amount on Jan 1, 2021, and it may no longer be available at that amount."

Does that mean someone else likely hit the green buy now button?

I emailed HA and did not hear back but had a few offers on the table. 

Unless you have specifically reqested to opt out of the Make Offer to Owner feature, all winning bids will have this automatically set to show an offer of 30% above the winning bid price.  It is then up to the winner to turn down any bids that might be received.  (thumbsu

Not sure why you did not hear back from HA on your offers, but I guarantee you 100% that you will hear back instantly from them if you had made an offer similar to this one here that was instantly accepted within days of the auction ending:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Book won by bidder for $49,293.75 and then resold a week later for $200,000 through the Make Offer to Owner feature.  :whatthe:

:takeit: , the money that is.  :whee:  :banana:

So, I guess if you really want a book, you will simply have to up your offer to something that the winner cannot refuse.  lol

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unless you have specifically reqested to opt out of the Make Offer to Owner feature, all winning bids will have this automatically set to show an offer of 30% above the winning bid price.  It is then up to the winner to turn down any bids that might be received.  (thumbsu

Not sure why you did not hear back from HA on your offers, but I guarantee you 100% that you will hear back instantly from them if you had made an offer similar to this one here that was instantly accepted within days of the auction ending:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Book won by bidder for $49,293.75 and then resold a week later for $200,000 through the Make Offer to Owner feature.  :whatthe:

:takeit: , the money that is.  :whee:  :banana:

So, I guess if you really want a book, you will simply have to up your offer to something that the winner cannot refuse.  lol

Wow thanks Lou. I am not that aggressive but see the example below. This is similar to what I was describing. Does 9500 buy it? I did the buy it on another book and did not hear back.

HA example.png