• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage vs Comic Link vs Comic Connect
3 3

134 posts in this topic

That is what I thought

Was getting ready to bring a box down to Beverly hills  and presented me with a contract that says  15% sellers.

I questioned them and was told  "it has ALWAYS BEEN 15% Sellers" except on certain high dollar books

Sorry for the Newbee question, but comparing these sites, which ones has tighter grading on raw books?

Some books on Heritage seem to look good for the assigned grade, but back cover scans are usually not shown...

Thanks!

Edited by Frederic9494

14 minutes ago, Frederic9494 said:

Sorry for the Newbee question, but comparing these sites, which ones has tighter grading on raw books?

Some books on Heritage seem to look good for the assigned grade, but back cover scans are usually not shown...

Thanks!

In my experience, all three of these sites focus almost all of their attention on CGC and other third-party graded books, with much less emphasis on raw books.  This is especially true when it comes to their auctions -- I have only seen raw books at auction on Heritage, and even then very often lumped together in lots as opposed to single issues.

Of the three, ComicConnect (through its sister company MetropolisComics.com) has by far the largest inventory of books they actually own themselves, and this includes a significant selection of raw books.  The vast majority of the books you see on Heritage and ComicLink, and also a significant portion of the books on ComicConnect, are owned by consignors who are selling through the site.

I know that for raw books, ComicConnect will show the label "ComicConnect verified grade" for any book that the ComicConnect staff has graded themselves, as opposed to relying upon the consignor.  I think that generally their grading is quite solid, but they've been in the business a long time -- so it's possible that raw books they acquired and graded more recently are likely to have been graded tighter than books they've had for many years.  Their staff is very friendly, though, so if you had a question about a particular book they will certainly provide you with high-quality scans or even examine a book in hand and describe it to you.  Not surprisingly, their ability to justify the time investment in doing all of this is going to hinge quite a bit on the value of the book(s) you're interested in and whether you come across as a serious buyer as opposed to a tire-kicker.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

My experience is that Mycomicshop.com  is the harshest grader,  which is good for the buyer, but less so for the seller/consignor 

People seem to have figured out that MCS is a tight grader though.  People pay more for a MCS grade than if someone else graded it.  I had a MCS book they graded at 7.5 sell for CGC 8.0 money.  I probably would have graded it at 8.0-8.5, so getting 8.0 money ( minus their 10% ) seemed pretty good. I might have made more if the book had come back an 8.5, but that’s a lot of shipping and hassle to maybe get a little more.

I had a very bad experience with Heritage. I sold a few in August and they can in way below what their estimates and what they were selling for on eBay. I later found out that the items that the buyer purchased on Heritage from me they resold on eBay (tracked the cert. #'s). I will never use Heritage again. They are horrible.

2 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

can you put reserves on heritage auctions?   

Heritage won't allow them for most items.

2 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

alternately can you bid on your on auctions?

No, that's called shilling. (tsk)

Not that that stops some people.

The books I consigned to Heritage are finally making their way to auctions

Of the 100+ books I left with the, they broke them up into 25 lots with the first 16 closing later today.  Best book for today is a Low grade Hulk #2 signed by Stan Lee  

If anyone is interested I have 2 threads in the Market Place  section

All of these are with no reserve.  I was worried when my  VG Atom 1 was languishing at $1.  At least the $200 book is now up to $26

As I type this the 16 lots of raw books are totaling just under 1900

They sent off 4 of my raw books for grading including my Hulk 181  

The remaining 9 auctions are all for slabbed books with a 6.0 All Flash coming up next week.

4 of my books will be in the February 27-29 Signature auction led by a 6.5 Special Edition #1

As a recognition of the board I will buy books ( preferably Four COlors or Classics Illustrateds )  from anyone who wins one of my auctions from Heritage

On 9/10/2019 at 8:03 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 9/10/2019 at 7:24 PM, pickycollector said:

:mad:

I thought I was winning a book tonight on Comic Connect...

...but then came an extended bidding period of 3 min, then another one, and another one..

I am done bidding on that site

You didn't know that's how their site works?

Yes, I actually much prefer the 3 minute extended bidding format because it gives me enough time to think and make a fully informed bidding decision as to whether I should bump it up to the next increment or not.  (thumbsu

Preferable to the traditional live auction format which Heritage uses which gives you about 30 seconds or less to decide if you are going to raise the bid or not.  What's worst of all is the CL format whereby if you really want a book, you probably have throw in an atomic bomb syle bid at the end since you don't have any idea at all of the other bidders will be doing.  Definitely the reason why I pay the least attention of all to the CL auction website since it's almost like bidding with blinders on.  :p

Edited by lou_fine

For CL I just bid the highest I’m comfortable with in the last few seconds. If I win great, if I don’t then I didn’t overpay. I actually prefer not having a system egg me on to bid several increments more than I originally planned. Extended bidding is better for seller but not buyer, and CL’s hard ending is better for buyer but worse for seller. IMO...

11 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

For CL I just bid the highest I’m comfortable with in the last few seconds. If I win great, if I don’t then I didn’t overpay. I actually prefer not having a system egg me on to bid several increments more than I originally planned. Extended bidding is better for seller but not buyer, and CL’s hard ending is better for buyer but worse for seller. IMO...

Exactly, does anyone really sit there watching these auctions and change their mind on how much they're willing to pay for a book spur-of-the-moment at the last second? That's so 20th-century. :preach:

12 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Extended bidding is better for seller but not buyer, and CL’s hard ending is better for buyer but worse for seller. IMO...

Noteworthy.  My experience as a seller would concur.

a couple of my books on CC that i was paying close attention to in auctions that ended just weeks apart:

Flash #123 CGC 9.2 (my copy was old label) - Heritage $7000 hammer ($8400 including 20% BP), CC $8200 hammer

Detective #359 CGC 9.4- Heritage $6500 hammer ($7800 including 20% BP), CC $9725 hammer

Edited by paperheart

17 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

smart bidding...

11 hours ago, paperheart said:

a couple of my books on CC that i was paying close attention to in auctions that ended just weeks apart:

Flash #123 CGC 9.2 (my copy was old label) - Heritage $7000 hammer ($8400 including 20% BP), CC $8200 hammer

Detective #359 CGC 9.4- Heritage $6500 hammer ($7800 including 20% BP), CC $9725 hammer

Congrats on your sales results here. :applause:

After factoring in all of the associated auction fees, it looks like you are going to be quite a bit further ahead here by having gone with CC over HA for these 2 specific books. (thumbsu

On 12/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, drbanner said:

Exactly, does anyone really sit there watching these auctions and change their mind on how much they're willing to pay for a book spur-of-the-moment at the last second? That's so 20th-century. :preach:

We haven't become emotionless Vulcans yet!

The last time I stayed up for the floor auction at Heritage, I ended up spending so much more money than I planned to, just because I got caught up in the emotion of it all:

"What, someone outbid me?!  Mf-er, I'll show them!  Take that, mf-er!  Die!  Die!  Die! 

Why won't you die?!  Honey, I read an article that a college degree is overrated, so there's no point in saving all this money for the kid's college fund! 

That's it, we're pushing all of our chips in now! 

Yes!!!! 

Oh my god, what have I done?"  

So I don't do live bidding anymore. :sorry: