• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage vs Comic Link vs Comic Connect
3 3

134 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2019 at 10:12 PM, blazingbob said:

The auction houses are also very good at setting some good low numbers to.  How did the Avengers #4 9.2 ($8100) do in the last auction?  Showcase #4 7.0 ($37.200)?  Set any new records on these where the seller left money on the table?    

I did say "While you eliminate the downside risk" as one of the benefits of consigning to a dealer or selling at fixed price in general. :gossip:

On 8/6/2019 at 10:12 PM, blazingbob said:

Does the same logic apply to 9.2 copies,  I doubt it. 

Put down the pom pom's.  

Sounds to me like the solution is not to own 9.2 copies. (shrug) 

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

I did say "While you eliminate the downside risk" as one of the benefits of consigning to a dealer or selling at fixed price in general. :gossip:

Sounds to me like the solution is not to own 9.2 copies. (shrug) 

You can realize GPA record prices consigning to Bob, too.  

While I would be reluctant to auction a high-value comic via MyComicShop they do have good consignment rates for those who wish to follow that route - as low as 6% for sales of $3000 or higher. Otherwise, Comiclink has always been my go to as far as auctions go. (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Black_Adam said:

While I would be reluctant to auction a high-value comic via MyComicShop they do have good consignment rates for those who wish to follow that route - as low as 6% for sales of $3000 or higher. Otherwise, Comiclink has always been my go to as far as auctions go. (thumbsu

I just mailed off a small batch of raw books to MyComicShop for the first time.  From what I have seen, they seem like a good spot to auction fairly low-dollar SA/BA/CA keys if you don’t want to do the work of scanning/shipping them ( and I sure don’t ).

I sent stuff like ASM 252, 316, FF 67, Marvel Premiere 1, Marvel Feature 1, Thor 337, etc.  Nothing all that high dollar, mostly $50-100 books. Stuff that would be a pain to sell and ship individually, but worthwhile to ship as a group to them.  From what I can see, their grading is very tight, but people have figured that out and seem to bid appropriately.

Hopefully it goes reasonably well 🙂

32 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

I just mailed off a small batch of raw books to MyComicShop for the first time.  From what I have seen, they seem like a good spot to auction fairly low-dollar SA/BA/CA keys if you don’t want to do the work of scanning/shipping them ( and I sure don’t ).

I sent stuff like ASM 252, 316, FF 67, Marvel Premiere 1, Marvel Feature 1, Thor 337, etc.  Nothing all that high dollar, mostly $50-100 books. Stuff that would be a pain to sell and ship individually, but worthwhile to ship as a group to them.  From what I can see, their grading is very tight, but people have figured that out and seem to bid appropriately.

Hopefully it goes reasonably well 🙂

As you have noted, be prepared for tight grades! In addition to auctions, consigning raws to MCS (and pricing them reasonably once listed for sale on their site) is also a good avenue for moving comics in the value range you have described  (unless you need them sold within a week). Especially with keys/semi-keys. GLWTS!

8 hours ago, namisgr said:

You can realize GPA record prices consigning to Bob, too.  

But can you realize a new record price that obliterates the old GPA record price by 1000%?

37 minutes ago, tth2 said:

But can you realize a new record price that obliterates the old GPA record price by 1000%?

For 99% of the comics you're looking to sell, that's not relevant.  Sure, sell the 1% at auction.

8 hours ago, namisgr said:
8 hours ago, tth2 said:

For 99% of the comics you're looking to sell, that's not relevant.  Sure, sell the 1% at auction.

It's like venture capital investing Bob.  You're inevitably going to have losers, but you hope to have a few home runs that more than make up for the losers.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:56 PM, Darthbryan said:

After watching an X-Men 1 8.0 set a new high water mark on Heritage this weekend I got to thinking about which auction house offers the best return for sellers, specifically for higher dollar silver age books.  I tend to sell on ebay for lower valued slabs but in the event I ever sell the five figured books I'm wondering who regularly realizes the highest prices after commissions? 

What did the X-Men #1 go for?

On 8/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, tth2 said:

"Net benefit" can mean more than just the commission/fees.  For me, customer service, access to senior decision-makers who can resolve issues quickly, etc., have value.  For example, with Heritage, I have a deal that for any book that I'm consigning, no other copy within 2 grades of mine can be in the same auction. 

An auction house that makes a consignor feel like a valued customer and provides personalized service can be worth a few percentage points compared to an auction house that acts like it's doing the consignor a favor by allowing him/her to consign books.  And if the consignor happen to get the exact same or better financial terms, then it's a no-brainer.   

Having said that, for Marvel SA, it's pretty much been commoditized and all the same players follow all 3 auction houses equally, so the gross result will probably be the same across the board. 

So if you had 10 silver age keys mid grade (top 10 overstreet silver age keys), which of the 3 auction houses will get you the least net gross?

Edited by Spiderturtle

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, namisgr said:

I would consider heritage over CL or CC on a book like a Spirou 1071 cgc 9.6 (single highest graded 1st smurfs 1958).  Would it get a higher hammer than comiclink?

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dspirou%2B%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1316539

Wider group of collectors (non comic book collectors) that heritage can draw from on a relevant pop culture item.  A book that most people don't know about.  This might be a book that falls in that 1% category

I've had two categories of books that performed a lot better at auction than expected and crushed the current GPA record high prices at the time.  The first were keys that hadn't come up for auction in their grades in some time.  For examples, a Strange Tales #110 in cgc 9.0 fetched $20K at auction when the all-time GPA high was $6250.  It was shortly after it was announced that Marvel planned to make a Dr. Strange movie, and was the first high grade copy to come to market.  A Doctor Solar (Gold Key) #1 in cgc 9.4 sold for $5200 at auction, when the highest price recorded in GPA was for $4K and all sales prior to that were for under $2K.

The second category of record setting sales at auction were for books that buyers wanted to crack-press-resubmit.  A Journey Into Mystery #93 in cgc 9.2 sold for $2500 when the GPA record at the time was $1750.  It was upgraded first to a 9.4 and then a 9.6.  A Journey #122 in cgc 9.6 sold for $3700 when the record price was $825.  It later became the first 9.8 copy.

So if you're looking to sell a book that's highly desirable and hasn't been available at auction for a long time, if ever, like the first Smurfs book you mentioned, or is wanted by the folks looking for books to flip, an auction helps realize a record price.  But for most everything else, consignment to a top dealer with a large customer base can get a seller great prices, too.

Edited by namisgr

On 8/8/2019 at 11:38 PM, Spiderturtle said:

So if you had 10 silver age keys mid grade (top 10 overstreet silver age keys), which of the 3 auction houses will get you the least net gross?

If you haven't negotiated any deal with Heritage, then you'll definitely net the least with Heritage, because the gross sale prices will be pretty much the same across the board.

As between comiclink and CC, I couldn't say.

Heritage sends out their other collectible catalogs to comic bidders. I get a boat load of their other catalogs sent to me. Do they do the same for non comic bidders?  Do non comic bidders get comic catalogs?  

Edited by Spiderturtle