• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Autograph on cgc case?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Totally up to the individual on what they want or don’t want signed for whatever reason.  They’re your comics (assuming they’re your comics, don’t go around signing other people’s comics)

12 hours ago, Colossus96 said:

Noob question.... I prefer my comics in the cgc case not signed. However is it ok  to have the cgc cases signed? 

5 minutes ago, revat said:

Totally up to the individual on what they want or don’t want signed for whatever reason.  They’re your comics (assuming they’re your comics, don’t go around signing other people’s comics)

100% this.

Idk why you'd want the case signed. Doesn't make any sense to me.

To each their own, though.

19 hours ago, Colossus96 said:

Noob question.... I prefer my comics in the cgc case not signed. However is it ok  to have the cgc cases signed? 

Ditto revat and theCapraAegagrus. It is your collection, and so my advice would be to collect what you like. Remember that not everyone will like what you like, so bear this in mind if you think you might sell your collection or items from it one day.

The 'Sharpie' https://www.sharpie.com is probably the best pen to use, as it is the most permanent on shiny surfaces.

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

100% this.

I bought an artist print once which came with a mat.  When I asked for a signature, the artist inexplicably signed the mat and not the art.  I was so confused, but too embarrassed to ask them to sign the actual print.  So now I have a signed mat.  :S

10 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I bought an artist print once which came with a mat.  When I asked for a signature, the artist inexplicably signed the mat and not the art.  I was so confused, but too embarrassed to ask them to sign the actual print.  So now I have a signed mat.  :S

lol

But also:

:p

20 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

100% this.

I'm personally not a fan of signatures especially on a CGC case but I get it....let's say you have a comic already graded but you really want the artist to sign it because you are into those things but don't want the green unverified signature case....the only option is to have them sign the case.  Plus a green label usually devalues the book so imagine having an expensive book, really wanting a signature but not wanting to devalue it....the only real option is to have them sign the case.

4 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I'm personally not a fan of signatures especially on a CGC case but I get it....let's say you have a comic already graded but you really want the artist to sign it because you are into those things but don't want the green unverified signature case....the only option is to have them sign the case.  Plus a green label usually devalues the book so imagine having an expensive book, really wanting a signature but not wanting to devalue it....the only real option is to have them sign the case.

I don't think that the Qualified labels devalue "signed" books. Maybe a tiny bit if the buyer thinks the sig reduces the comic's condition.

The CGC case just won't protect any signatures. Probably very easy to clean off with your own sweat/oil...

37 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that the Qualified labels devalue "signed" books. Maybe a tiny bit if the buyer thinks the sig reduces the comic's condition.

The CGC case just won't protect any signatures. Probably very easy to clean off with your own sweat/oil...

It absolutely does devalue a book.  For one, the signature isn't verified so it could be fake and secondly, it narrows the market to people who collect signatures and don't mind a green label.  Most collectors I know won't touch a book with a green label.  Neither would I.  

2 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

It absolutely does devalue a book.  For one, the signature isn't verified so it could be fake and secondly, it narrows the market to people who collect signatures and don't mind a green label.  Most collectors I know won't touch a book with a green label.  Neither would I.  

Based on my research - that isn't true. There are even people here who say it increases value (it doesn't for me).

Obviously the signature isn't verified and could be fake. It's why I don't buy them. We agree on that. We also agree that it narrows the market. However, SS products are also a more-narrow market. Prices are always higher on those, from my experience.

34 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Based on my research - that isn't true. There are even people here who say it increases value (it doesn't for me). 

Obviously the signature isn't verified and could be fake. It's why I don't buy them. We agree on that. We also agree that it narrows the market. However, SS products are also a more-narrow market. Prices are always higher on those, from my experience.

I agree that the green Qualified label doesn't "devalue" the book.  I don't know about increasing the value (perhaps over a non-graded and signed book of same quality...then at least I have solid confirmation of the Qualified version's condition), but for me personally, I'd buy a Qualified CGC graded item with signature on the cover if I want that signature bad enough and the price is right.  Granted, it can't be a confirmed signature, but if I'm buying it, it's for the purpose of my collection and not for flipping or quick resell.  So, I'd say the Qualified label more "sets" a value to a specific buyer (which is different for anyone who considers it) and the Signature Series attracts a premium.

When it comes down to it...if a specific book, signed by a specific artist, is only available as a green Qualified label...someone who wants it bad enough will buy it.

13 minutes ago, Donald Jack said:

I agree that the green Qualified label doesn't "devalue" the book.  I don't know about increasing the value (perhaps over a non-graded and signed book of same quality...then at least I have solid confirmation of the Qualified version's condition), but for me personally, I'd buy a Qualified CGC graded item with signature on the cover if I want that signature bad enough and the price is right.  Granted, it can't be a confirmed signature, but if I'm buying it, it's for the purpose of my collection and not for flipping or quick resell.  So, I'd say the Qualified label more "sets" a value to a specific buyer (which is different for anyone who considers it) and the Signature Series attracts a premium.

When it comes down to it...if a specific book, signed by a specific artist, is only available as a green Qualified label...someone who wants it bad enough will buy it.

This is only true for a certain type of sig - Dave Stevens, Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko are the three that come to mind. There are no SS books with contemporaneous witnessing for these three (and I'm sure for others), so the Green label version with good provenance commands high values.  If you look at guys that are available (Adam Hughes, J. Scott Campbell, Greg Capullo, even Todd McFarlane etc.) Green label books are waaaay below Yellow label books in price with grade being equal.

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

Umm... wouldn't you crack the book out of the holder and get it CGC SS? Unless it was a Green label book to begin with but then I would just get a blue label one and sell of the green label if you really don't like green labels. The only time I would keep them is if they have one of the Signatures @seanfingh talked about such as Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko. 

On 8/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, Colossus96 said:

to answer your question its ok to do whatever you want with your comic but if your worried about what it will do to re-sale then you should be careful with what would increase the value and what won't but end up costing you money that you wont be able to get back out. 

As for a slab being signed no one will pay extra for signature even if you paid for the signature as its unverified and its on the plastic which could rub off etc.. Storing it will also be another problem as chances are if your store it incorrectly or get the wrong sharpie signing it might lift off or smudge or transfer to whatever is touching it. 

42 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Umm... wouldn't you crack the book out of the holder and get it CGC SS? Unless it was a Green label book to begin with but then I would just get a blue label one and sell of the green label if you really don't like green labels. The only time I would keep them is if they have one of the Signatures @seanfingh talked about such as Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko. 

Umm...not all signings allow for a CGC SS

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

Umm...not all signings allow for a CGC SS

I understand that there are sometimes situations that might occur where you wouldn't be able to get a witness for the signature and of course if it came down to it you can have the slab signed, your arm, your T shirt, etc.. but I am stating that I am assuming majority of signings have a chance to happen at a Con or through a facilitator etc.. where you can get a CGC SS. 

A lot of books are signed already, so I never understood why anyone would get it signed again with an ugly pen or sharpie.

Stan Lee added his signature to his monthly soapbox.

I have lots of Kirby's and Ditko's. 

Adding another signature is of course whatever you like.

But krapping on my nice book with a sharpie never appealed to me.

I also never grade cases, could care less about minor scuffing on a case - it's all about the book.

So sounds good to me to have the sig on the case.

13 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

A lot of books are signed already, so I never understood why anyone would get it signed again with an ugly pen or sharpie.

Stan Lee added his signature to his monthly soapbox.

I have lots of Kirby's and Ditko's. 

Adding another signature is of course whatever you like.

But krapping on my nice book with a sharpie never appealed to me.

I also never grade cases, could care less about minor scuffing on a case - it's all about the book.

So sounds good to me to have the sig on the case.

to argue the other side the reason people like CGC SS is that they know this is a authentic signature I would buy a Stan lee Signature or pay for that premium of a signature on a book unless it was CGC SS as some Random could just forge his signature and charge a premium. Also the signatures your talking about are printed from the press signatures. its like getting memorabilia autographed. Some love the experience, the collectability etc...