• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finlay

99 posts in this topic

Virgil Finlay has been referred to as one of the greatest science fiction, fantasy, and horror graphic artists of the 20th Century.  The level of Finlay's creative genius is seen in the corpus of his pulp work. His artistic technique required a great deal of time. Not my copy, but you get an idea (similar in a way to Elias' cover for Black Cat Mystery 48)

IMG_4978.JPG.6f633970a52ba6b2110727303d258f8d.JPG

Sadly for the comic book genre, Finlay did very little work. His artwork can be found in the precode '50s DC comics. 

I was wondering if there are any boardies who collect Finlay's works?

Thanks for sharing!

john

45 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

Nothing to do with Finlay, but couldn't help but wonder at the name on that cover: Nictzin Dyalhis. Seriously?

Well, apparently it really was the guy's name: Wikipedia entry

Anyway, now on the deluge from Finlay fans!

Nictzin Dyalhis is probably the most mysterious of the Weird Tales writers.  Very little is known about him.  I don't even think there's a known photograph of him.  But he was immensely popular with the Weird Tales readers, even though he only published 7 stories over a 16 year period.

OK, sorry to hi-jack.  I'll post some Finlay stuff now.

A lot of his black and white illustration work was done on scratch board which is a technique that starts out as a black over white board and the white is revealed by scratching away the covering. Very effective for outer space types of scenes as well as nocturnal images, really stunning work.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

He also did book jackets. Some completely original, some amalgams of interior illos like the legendary Arkham House Outsider and Others by H.P. Lovecraft. Not my copy - kicking myself for years for not getting a copy when they were less than 1K.

Outsider.jpg

I need one of these for my Arkham House collection.