• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finlay

99 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Incredible, isn't it?

I love Frazetta's magazine work but Finlay is right there at the top.

agreed with you, when you look thru a pulp and happen to see his work its a great supprise. Ha is auctioning off the a lot of his great work including some paintings next week in the Glen Crain collection

34 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

agreed with you, when you look thru a pulp and happen to see his work its a great supprise. Ha is auctioning off the a lot of his great work including some paintings next week in the Glen Crain collection

I wonder if Finlay's work greatly influenced Frazetta and other magazine artists?

4 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

I wonder if Finlay's work greatly influenced Frazetta and other magazine artists?

I don't see much influence with respect to Frazetta (his biggest influence was Hal Foster but others like Alex Raymond and Wally Wood had an impact on him).

I think Finlay may have been a minor influence on Wolverton.

While a huge fan of Virgil Finley’s B&W work, his color work often comes across as a bit flat, emotionless and posed.  Also, at times his color work ...while well rendered... seems too stylistically similar to more recognizable cover artists of the pulp era like Margaret Brundage.  That said, there are exceptional Finley color covers where his creativity shines as brightly as his magnificently detailed B&W illustrations.  So, in the broader context, while Finley’s work can be scrutinized through a critical lens, it isn’t easy to categorize.

For comparison’s sake, another pulp illustrator & book cover artist of the era whose B&W work is held in high regard is Hannes Bok. While Bok’s color work clearly draws inspiration from Maxfield Parrish ...utilizing classically rendered landscapes, pastel palate and glazing techniques... his whimsically surrealistic science fiction and fantasy art style is uniquely his own.  In my estimation what separates Bok’s and Finley’s achievements is that Bok was a much more accomplished color illustrator.

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

While a huge fan of Virgil Finley’s B&W work, his color work often comes across as a bit flat, emotionless and posed.  Also, at times his color work ...while well rendered... seems too stylistically similar to more recognizable cover artists of the pulp era like Margaret Brundage.  That said, there are exceptional Finley color covers where his creativity shines as brightly as his magnificently detailed B&W illustrations.  So, in the broader context, while Finley’s work can be scrutinized through a critical lens, it isn’t easy to categorize.

For comparison’s sake, another pulp illustrator & book cover artist of the era whose B&W work is held in high regard is Hannes Bok. While Bok’s color work clearly draws inspiration from Maxfield Parrish ...utilizing classically rendered landscapes, pastel palate and glazing techniques... his whimsically surrealistic science fiction and fantasy art style is uniquely his own.  In my estimation what separates Bok’s and Finley’s achievements is that Bok was a much more accomplished color illustrator.

Early Finlay, I agree with you.  However by the mid 40s he was masterful.  

51yu7uwue7L._SL500_.jpg