• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finlay

99 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

It's a great starter pulp, in fact the first (and for years only) pulp I owned was an issue of FFM.  

FFM_1953_06_c.jpg

:cloud9::cloud9: Make a great metal lp cover.

My first pulps were a half dozen Argosy from an estate sale,cost maybe a fin.

(of course I still have them someplace,I keep EVERYTHING)

Edit-There's a paperback of Anthem in the house,I enjoyed it.

Edited by porcupine48

On 8/6/2019 at 2:30 AM, OtherEric said:

Here's the splash page for one of his very few comic stories.  He really didn't do much at all beyond the "Just Imagine" pages for Real Fact.  Cover isn't by him, but might as well include it.

Mystery_in_space_019.jpg

Mystery_in_space_019a.jpg

I know Finlay did the artwork for a story in the book below. This might also be the only comic book cover he ever did?

IMG_4982.thumb.JPG.2a82347259306b7a5e2f37796cbe785d.JPG

Edited by bronze johnny

Finlay was not involved in Strange Adv 6 cover.

Real Fact 8, where they used one of his panels, was his only cover credit.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Finlay was not involved in Strange Adv 6 cover.

Real Fact 8, where they used one of his panels, was his only cover credit.

Do you know who did the cover to Strange Adventures 6?

There is a hard cover book entitled "Virgil Finlay's Women Of The Ages".   It was published by Underwood-Miller.  It was authored by Lail Finlay Hernandez, his daughter.  There was supposed to be another book issued in 1992 entitled "Virgil Finlay's SF and Horror".

Finlay.thumb.jpg.4d20f2df839c20369a8d02d41ea5fe01.jpg

42 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Do you know who did the cover to Strange Adventures 6?

GCD lists "Cresto" based upon records of Julie Schwartz.  This cover, and the matching interior story, is the only art by this artist and I've not heard any details about him/her.

20 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

GCD lists "Cresto" based upon records of Julie Schwartz.  This cover, and the matching interior story, is the only art by this artist and I've not heard any details about him/her.

Looked everywhere for information the elusive Cresto.

https://pappysgoldenage.blogspot.com/2009/09/number-599-vampire-world-whos-cresto-i.html?m=1

8 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

This is on my list now.

These turn up fairly frequently in my area at flea markets. Pretty cheap too. Let me know what ones you want and I will keep my eye open. If they are in decent shape at cheap prices I would probably buy them anyway.

5 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

I know Finlay did the artwork for a story in the book below. This might also be the only comic book cover he ever did?

IMG_4982.thumb.JPG.2a82347259306b7a5e2f37796cbe785d.JPG

That is a weird cover, the man in the lower left clearly looks like he should be carrying a rifle or something similar.

The Finlay feature (it's not really a story) in this issue is a reprint from Real Fact.  DC reprinted the "Just Imagine" features quite often; one also turns up in Mystery In Space #1.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

These turn up fairly frequently in my area at flea markets. Pretty cheap too. Let me know what ones you want and I will keep my eye open. If they are in decent shape at cheap prices I would probably buy them anyway.

Thanks friend.I'll pm you in a bit so as not to take up the thread.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

That is a weird cover, the man in the lower left clearly looks like he should be carrying a rifle or something similar.

The Finlay feature (it's not really a story) in this issue is a reprint from Real Fact.  DC reprinted the "Just Imagine" features quite often; one also turns up in Mystery In Space #1.

Thx. I think it's a fabulous cover and don't see anything wrong with the way he's running. To each her/his own.

56 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

It’s an awesome cover, I agree; even if the guy seemed odd to me.

I went back and looked at all the covers in the run and picked this one as the best- and we aren't even sure whose work it is. Could be from an artist named Cresto- only in the world of DC Comics! Lol

11 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I agree. Maybe a swipe?

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

He's an ex-bassoon player from a marching band.

1 hour ago, GomerPyleUSMC said:

I'm not sure if it's the same cover artist but the story art looks like John Lehti early 50's.

It is similar though I like it better than everything else I'm familiar with by Lehti.  Editors were sometimes territorial so perhaps he submitted something under an assumed name to Julie?  The SA 6 cover was drawn within the narrow timeframe the Lehti worked for DC.

Edited by adamstrange