• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Animated Movies

35 posts in this topic

The Lion King

26 years later and it is still breathtaking... 

And yes, I know that Lion King borrows its influences from many other movies.  However, if I had to pick an almost 'perfect' movie, (as James Gunn has been discussing on Twitter) this is one of them or damn near close.  From Lebo M's vocals over the Hans Zimmer score, from the casting of every character, from the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern influenced Timon and Pumbaa, no minute or character is wasted and the plot is still engaging and relevant.  On top of that, many people forget that unlike many Disney villains, Scar actually achieves his goal of ruling over the Pridelands.  While almost the entire film is animated through the use of the computer it is still considered a typical 2D animated film. The computer allowed animators to capture the flow of the characters in ways never before seen as evidenced with the stampede scene. However, it is still considered a 2D movie. 

When it comes to animated flicks, this is the 2D film that deserves the accolades and delivers on the hype. 

BTW... if allowed to consider 3D / Pixar movies or even 3D Disney movies, 

I consider Moana to be this generation's Lion King.  It is not as good as LK but it is close. 

In the Pixar realm, the Toy Story series always delivers... 

Wall-E is a very under-appreciated film when compared to the other Pixar movies.

My all-time favorite, “The Hobbit” animated TV movie from 1977.  Just incredible. They rushed out a sequel, “The Return of the King”, which was basically the whole “Lord of the Rings” story boiled down.  It’s not as good as “The Hobbit” but has it’s moments. There is another “Lord of the Rings” version from Ralph Bakshi that uses rotoscoping. I found it a little dreary and strange, but worth a look.  It’s often sold with the first two I mentioned but is completely different.

AA67BA33-0246-409B-B12D-68A8259E9070.jpeg

14073B32-A08E-446D-9732-E128BEB418BD.jpeg

CC88BB11-9706-4B62-BC64-7C5CF936CCE0.jpeg

On 4/26/2020 at 12:48 AM, bpc3qh said:

If w'ere sticking to the comic book films, nothing beats Mask of the Phantasm, followed by Return of the Joker. The DCAU/Timmverse, generally, is the peak of comic book animation.

Kept waiting for someone to mention this. Return of the Joker was so very entertaining. Batman Beyond in general is just a great, great series. The first two seasons of Young Justice is excellent as well, but I just couldn't get into season 3 on DC Universe.

Mask of the Phantasm was really good.  I don't think I appreciated it as a kid when I saw it.  I went back and rewatched it a couple years ago and it is very well done.  It's one of my top Batman movies overall.  I don't recall much about any of the Marvel animated stuff other than X-Men and Spider-Man series (both of which had some strong runs), although both the Transformers and GI Joe movies were technically Marvel films.  So I'm going with Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, pretty much any of Disney's output during the Golden Age of American Animation, Robotech/Macross, and Heavy Metal.  

So I’ve never been a fan of the DC animated films in terms of the animation despite some great writing in dialogue and stories. The animation for the most part seems too simple, bland and basic. I know it’s a style that Bruce Timm made popular but I’m just not a fan.  I’m in the middle of watching the unfortunately titled Batman Ninja and it’s the best animation I’ve ever seen in a Batman cartoon. Why can’t this type of detailed quality be done in a regular storyline?

F4FD20BD-01DD-4772-B1CA-3B3DE07129BA.png

66CEF829-A9C2-4FFA-A4F5-28FE6F6B2D13.jpeg

Edited by Grails