• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your favorite Prelims
2 2

87 posts in this topic

Never had these but they're cool.  Would also include but don't have a scan of the rejected ASM 97 cover with a stoner Harry Osborn.

Interesting that the final image was Gwen Stacy but in the prelim she's just a "furious lady."  

ASM 92 cvr prelim.jpg

ASM 112 prelim cvr.gif

Edited by bluechip

On 8/11/2019 at 10:24 AM, bluechip said:

Amazing Spider-man 68 unused cover with logo stat.jpg

Technically "unused" as opposed to "prelim" but the distinction is sometimes lost.

The protest signs have no letters on them, which caused me to look at the art and wonder if it was decided after the fact what the protest was about.  And looking past the text I could see nothing in the art itself which specified what the students were protesting.   So I wonder if Romita left that uncertain and Stan put it in later.  

Edited by bluechip

I have a collection of Dave Cockrum prelims which you can see here: https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=188397

It's hard to choose favorites, but probably these two, due to the amount of detail.  The Black Panther prelim was pretty much used as is for the published cover, while Gil Kane went in a slightly different direction for Captain Marvel #53.

BlackPanther14.jpg

CaptainMarvel53.jpg

Here are two that I really like and the final piece for each. The preliminaries were bought from Anthony Snyder after the artist had passed away. It never occurred to me to ask for them when I did the commission.

Nick Cardy - Bat Lash (click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.01d6b41192f52e1fc458ee430823de72.png

Giordano - JLA (click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.282fdb4496dc375e75d5f48241b2e6c4.png

Mike Mayhew has kinda fingered out how to sell prelims too. Usually his pencils are the cheapest, then there is a painted prelim, and then the final piece. I really liked his ComicMint Detective #1000 variant and picked up the painted prelim. The final is in his personal collection. 

AR prelims are also pricey, but far more reasonable, and are really interesting to study. This one was one of my very first pieces of OA, a gift from my wife on my 40th. 

01FA0A35-C98E-4FFF-992B-0268050DC5E6.jpeg

087BCE79-BB02-4F11-AFDC-C596A7BF4369.jpeg

I absolutely love prelims. Here are some of my Favorites.

Frank Miller: Prelim to the Dark Knight Returns Tenth Anniversary Hard Cover Slipcase. A gorgeous piece and the closest I will ever get to owning a piece from the Dark Knight.

Darwyn Cooke: Prelim to the Cover for Before Watchmen Minutemen issue 2 

Darwyn Cooke: Prelim to Rocketeer Adventures 

885D3E34-49BB-4C77-93DC-E6C34A652B83.jpeg

352D0836-FB67-477E-BAE2-6723C6A0D35F.jpeg

97F6F2A6-7774-461A-9325-DB03DD3F6336.jpeg

Preliminary Movie Poster painting by UK artist Vic Fair for the British release of the 1985 American film, REMO.  Another UK artist, Brian Bysouth, painted the final art (Bysouth would often provide finished paintings based on Vic fair designs).

D204Ey8Z_030717111955lola.jpg