• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your favorite Prelims
2 2

87 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

But Kane prelims are full size, while Bolland prelims are quite small, not even 8.5 x 11 inch. 2c

I was thinking about this last night, I had a Boland prelim at one point, it was about 8x10.

But because things all look about the same size on a computer screen, I feel like the size differences in art can sometimes be undervalued.  Vs when art was bought in person so you can appreciate the true scale of the image.

32 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

But because things all look about the same size on a computer screen, I feel like the size differences in art can sometimes be undervalued.  Vs when art was bought in person so you can appreciate the true scale of the image.

So true. Free advice time: This is never more true than when you are buying paintings. The level of rendering vs size is crucial. Always, always ask for some natural light photos with a person or other objects in the shot for scale.

9 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

So true. Free advice time: This is never more true than when you are buying paintings. The level of rendering vs size is crucial. Always, always ask for some natural light photos with a person or other objects in the shot for scale.

agree 100% .   

On 9/9/2019 at 5:13 AM, vodou said:

Honestly...it's just alright (imo).

Not being a jerk or sarcastic, but punch to the gut art-wise...I've got much nicer. For (duh) much, much less.

I do not have a nice large Burne Hogarth red pencil piece, but most of those I've seen are punch to the gut, especially in direct comparison to this here.

It's the association ("prelim for...") that makes this really desirable (for the image, not the $, we all just have to ignore that to critically discuss it at all).

When comparing Burne Hogarth to x, after already agreeing that the skill (at prelim level) is approximately the same, true one lead the way centuries earlier (but that's like saying St. John kills Frazetta by being "earlier"...no!) then we can figure out what a deal BH is for several k vs. $$$$$$$$ (yes, that's eight figures ;) )

Which reminds me...I need a killer Burne Hogarth, something like this:

image.png.b76119f7c234b375a102257fd213f87c.png

or this:

image.png.e9c53c0195cd4c0d32adb6dd32f47e79.png

Now, please!!

Those don't look like prelims more like the pieces he did for his published books on anatomy.