• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ordering OA sized mylar from eGerber
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone else ordered from eGerber? Their prices are very good and the quality of the mylar is excellent but holy cow they make it a true headache to get anything from them. You can't order off the website and you can't order via email. You have to phone it in between 10-4 M-F EST only, they don't take Paypal, Venmo or AmEx and it takes them 2-4 weeks to get your stuff into the mail. I asked if embracing the 19th century like that was a conscious decision and the woman told me "Yes."  I'll be happy to get the sleeves before the seasons change, but I think they haven't updated their methods since the reign of Howard Rogofsky. 

Edited by glendgold
Remembered more ways that ordering annoyed me

23 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Has anyone else ordered from eGerber? Their prices are very good and the quality of the mylar is excellent but holy cow they make it a true headache to get anything from them. You can't order off the website and you can't order via email. You have to phone it in, they don't take Paypal, Venmo or AmEx and it takes them 2-4 weeks to get your stuff into the mail. I asked if embracing the 19th century like that was a conscious decision and the woman told me "Yes."  I'll be happy to get the sleeves before the seasons change, but I think they haven't updated their methods since the reign of Howard Rogofsky. 

I think you’re going to make CGC board history by writing the first post to be included in Best American Nonrequired Reading. 

Sorry Glen. Have you tried ordering mylars  from Bags Unlimited? That’s where I get mine and other supplies and ordering is easy. Drawback is that if you don’t order a minimum ($25-$30?) you get a slapped with a “West of Mississippi” surcharge. 

2 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I think you’re going to make CGC board history by writing the first post to be included in Best American Nonrequired Reading. 

Sorry Glen. Have you tried ordering mylars  from Bags Unlimited? That’s where I get mine and other supplies and ordering is easy. Drawback is that if you don’t order a minimum ($25-$30?) you get a slapped with a “West of Mississippi” surcharge. 

Cool, because that would be my first anything to be included in any best thing anywhere. 

eGerber, just to keep it hilarious all the way around, has a $100 minimum order. I tried Bags Unlimited years ago, but had some quality control issues with them -- have they upped their game in the last, I dunno, 5 years?

4 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Cool, because that would be my first anything to be included in any best thing anywhere. 

eGerber, just to keep it hilarious all the way around, has a $100 minimum order. I tried Bags Unlimited years ago, but had some quality control issues with them -- have they upped their game in the last, I dunno, 5 years?

I have ordered in the last 5 years but not in the last 18 months. Had ordered enough to keep me stocked. Not sure how severe your quality control issues were, but one time I had ordered comic mailers and the way they had packed them with cardboard fillers resulted in half a dozen mailers to be bent which rendered them useless. I tried flattening them out but it didn’t work 100%. I ended up using them for things that had nothing to do with the original purpose. Otherwise, I don’t mind ordering from them (and I feel confident that had I called customer service to complain I would’ve been compensated but who has the time?).

I hope someone can fill you in on eGerber; otherwise, I say just put the order in now watch the leaves turn color. 

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Has anyone else ordered from eGerber? Their prices are very good and the quality of the mylar is excellent but holy cow they make it a true headache to get anything from them. You can't order off the website and you can't order via email. You have to phone it in, they don't take Paypal, Venmo or AmEx and it takes them 2-4 weeks to get your stuff into the mail. I asked if embracing the 19th century like that was a conscious decision and the woman told me "Yes."  I'll be happy to get the sleeves before the seasons change, but I think they haven't updated their methods since the reign of Howard Rogofsky. 

eGerber is my primarily Mylar supplier!  They are dirt cheap compared to everyone else.  I think someone said all the other sellers get it from eGerber.

I put up with their antiquated ways due to the savings. I practically mylar everything and order a few hundred mylar of various sizes each time.

Malvin

eGerber is the go to supplier for comic-sized mylars and backing boards. Best prices, and quality, if you buy in bulk. Especially the Mylite 2's.

Have never ordered OA sized bags from them, though. I ordered one custom sized Mylar OA bag for an oversized piece that I bought, but have stuck to the polyethylene bags you can buy in assorted sizes at your average craft store. 

I've bought mylars from eGerber for a decade now, excellent quality and prices.  I get eGerber mylar in these sizes: 1218R for standard pages, 1422R for twice-up/oversize and 1824R for DPS / wrap covers...no problems with the larger size mylars.

Edited by GreatEscape

35 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I ordered one custom sized Mylar OA bag

What were the rough dimensions ?  Was this a recent purchase ??  Was there an odious upcharge for special orders ??

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

Has anyone else ordered from eGerber?

Yes. My experience was the same as yours but it was 2000. I saw it for what it was though and ordered so many...in all sizes...I'm still good ;)

33 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

I've bought mylars from eGerber for a decade now, excellent quality and prices.  I get eGerber mylar in these sizes: 1218R for standard pages, 1422R for twice-up/oversize and 1824R for DPS / wrap covers...no problems with the larger size mylars.

Are the 1620R too small for twice-up?  That's what I ordered. 

20 hours ago, glendgold said:

I'm afraid I can echo Glen's experience with BU. My issue was that their larger (art sized) mylars had very fragile seals. Half my order would arrive conveniently pre-split for me, while the rest would eagerly split upon use. They were very nice about replacing them, but the replacements would have the same flaws. I have just ordered from Gerber for the first time and, delay notwithstanding, I'm hoping that they can bear up to the rigors of having a thin piece of bristol slid into them.

20 hours ago, glendgold said:

Are the 1620R too small for twice-up?  That's what I ordered. 

If helpful, this photo shows the relative mylar sizes.  Twice-up pages have 12.5" x 18" or 13" x 19" image areas but the boards typically extend beyond 20" length due to bigger top/bottom margins.  That's why 1422R mylars fit twice-up better.

Mylars.jpg.904964d00bfff53a2c196f3cafa7de0f.jpg

24 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Welp, I just called eGerber back to order the 1824R and they are out of stock. Till October. And you can't order them or be put on a waitlist. You just have to call back. In October.  (shrug)

Postcard.

18 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

I'm afraid I can echo Glen's experience with BU. My issue was that their larger (art sized) mylars had very fragile seals. Half my order would arrive conveniently pre-split for me, while the rest would eagerly split upon use. They were very nice about replacing them, but the replacements would have the same flaws. I have just ordered from Gerber for the first time and, delay notwithstanding, I'm hoping that they can bear up to the rigors of having a thin piece of bristol slid into them.

I was just bagging art today when one of my bags split down the side. Could have been another bag from an art purchase, but not likely. 

16 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

If helpful, this photo shows the relative mylar sizes.  Twice-up pages have 12.5" x 18" or 13" x 19" image areas but the boards typically extend beyond 20" length due to bigger top/bottom margins.  That's why 1422R mylars fit twice-up better.

Mylars.jpg.904964d00bfff53a2c196f3cafa7de0f.jpg

I’m curious about this photo. Is that how you usually store your art? Bag and board inside a bigger bag? What is that blue label?

Like most everyone else I use Itoyas but I don’t find them all that great. 

On 8/8/2019 at 5:37 AM, Jay Olie Espy said:

I’m curious about this photo. Is that how you usually store your art? Bag and board inside a bigger bag? What is that blue label?

Like most everyone else I use Itoyas but I don’t find them all that great. 

My preferred storage is mylar + board (actually conservation acid-free foam board, lighter and thicker than standard board) and bundled in groups of 8-10 pieces in large ziplock bags for further protection and easy handling.  I like my art organized upright in bins so I can flip through my collection (like I did comics) instead of Itoya portfolios. The custom blue stickers (with my name and contact info) keep each mylar tight up top and serve as tabs— allowing fingers to naturally flip through without any mylars ‘opening’ up.  

Edited by GreatEscape