• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Classic

16 posts in this topic

So I am looking around the at the X-Men Classic series, but I am needing some help on understanding it. I understand that each comic is a reprint with a little more detail of a specific comic like the first issue is a reprint of Giant Sized #1 and issue two is a reprint of X-Men #94. My question though, does anybody know if these comics flow as their own individual mini-series, or since they are reprints of what I see as random comics does that mean they really don't mix together as a story going from issue to issue or do they? I attempted looking it up, but couldn't find much.

3 hours ago, nightcrawl47 said:

So I am looking around the at the X-Men Classic series, but I am needing some help on understanding it. I understand that each comic is a reprint with a little more detail of a specific comic like the first issue is a reprint of Giant Sized #1 and issue two is a reprint of X-Men #94. My question though, does anybody know if these comics flow as their own individual mini-series, or since they are reprints of what I see as random comics does that mean they really don't mix together as a story going from issue to issue or do they? I attempted looking it up, but couldn't find much.

I don't understand your confusion. The Classic X-Men series sequentially reprints the reborn X-Men title (starting with Giant-Size X-Men 1/X-Men 94). It's the same as reading the original issues, except some fill-in issues are skipped. There is also new material added, both as backup stories and interspersed throughout the regular stories. This is because many comics were down to a pathetic 17(!) story pages by the mid-late 70s and Classic was a regular length comic with no ads.

11 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I don't understand your confusion. The Classic X-Men series sequentially reprints the reborn X-Men title (starting with Giant-Size X-Men 1/X-Men 94). It's the same as reading the original issues, except some fill-in issues are skipped. There is also new material added, both as backup stories and interspersed throughout the regular stories. This is because many comics were down to a pathetic 17(!) story pages by the mid-late 70s and Classic was a regular length comic with no ads.

Some of the issues have new art,several pages added in.(23-27 for sure)

#10 and 26 have some neat little Wolverine solo sories in them.

I've always thought part of the  this series was overlooked.

Edited by porcupine48
Part of the series.I didn't continue much past the when the added stories stopped.

11 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I guess what's confusing me is that how is Giant-Size X-Men 1 connected to X-Men 94? I think that's pretty much what is not connecting in my brain

1 minute ago, nightcrawl47 said:

I guess what's confusing me is that how is Giant-Size X-Men 1 connected to X-Men 94?

:whatthe: Um... welcome to comics, I guess.

GSX1 was the beginning of new X-Men stories after the title had been cancelled and then brought back and turned into a reprint title for years. Professor X recruited a bunch of (mostly new) mutants to rescue the original team. X-Men 94 was the first issue of the regular series to feature a new story since issue 66 and featured the formation of a new team out of the large group that ended up together at the end of GSX1.

9 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:whatthe: Um... welcome to comics, I guess.

GSX1 was the beginning of new X-Men stories after the title had been cancelled and then brought back and turned into a reprint title for years. Professor X recruited a bunch of (mostly new) mutants to rescue the original team. X-Men 94 was the first issue of the regular series to feature a new story since issue 66 and featured the formation of a new team out of the large group that ended up together at the end of GSX1.

Sorry for so many questions, I think I am getting it a little bit. So like the GSX 1, 2 and so on are one adventure of mostly new mutant team, but the X-Men #94 is the same team but a more expansion on their adventures?

2 minutes ago, nightcrawl47 said:

Sorry for so many questions, I think I am getting it a little bit. So like the GSX 1, 2 and so on are one adventure of mostly new mutant team, but the X-Men #94 is the same team but a more expansion on their adventures?

Marvel made a bunch of "Giant-Size" books in the 70s, most of which were tied to regular titles. They decided to relaunch the X-Men in one of those books. The story from that issue continued in (issue 94 of) the regular title. There was a second issue of Giant-Size X-Men, but it was just a meaningless reprint book.

20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

There was a second issue of Giant-Size X-Men, but it was just a meaningless reprint book.

Blasphemy! :sumo:

lol

(but true, to a point.) :gossip:

Edited by divad

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, nightcrawl47 said:

X-Men 1-66 is the original X-Men team from the 60's. Was one of Marvels poorest selling titles. Towards the end they put some good artists on it, but not in time to save the book.

X-Men_Vol_1_1.jpg

X-Men 67-93 is reprints of past X-Men issues. Marvel realized the title had improved in sales towards the end and decided to keep it going as a reprint title.

Giant Size X-Men 1 is a re-launch where a new international team is introduced (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, etc). This is the start of the book that went on to be a huge success.. Giant Size was a format Marvel was throwing around at the time, similar to an annual. The story continues in the X-Men title, which was still on the stands as a reprint title, with issue 94. So any reprinting of the bronze age X-Men begins with GS #1 followed by X-Men 94, 95 etc...

giant-size-x-men-cover.jpg

Classic X-Men launched in the late 80's and was a unique reprint title in that corrections and additions were made to the stories, and new short stories were added. Plus lots of great new Arthur Adams covers. At some point in the run, sales were falling and it became a strictly reprint title with no added material.

Generally, when Marvel reprints X-Men in any format, 60's X-Men and "New" X-Men (aka Uncanny X-Men) are separate.

Edited by HarrisonJohn

Man, I loved classic X-Men. It started up when I was just getting into Marvel comics, and it was fascinating to me to read a NEW issue of Uncanny X-Men, along with the Classic X-Men reprint, and try to figure out what had happened to those characters in the years between. Gave me a deep and abiding love for the continuity (which would later become a nightmare...)

Also, as has been pointed out, those terrific back-up stories with art by John Bolton, plus terrific covers by Art Adams, Steve Lightle, and much later Mike Mignola and Adam Hughes. Great stuff!

I've owned a dozen reprints of GS X-Men 1 across various formats since the 80s, but never owned an original. Flipping through the facsimile edition in a comic store a few weeks ago, I was surprised to see it included reprints of 60's X-Men material in the back. Never had any idea they were there, since they are (understandably) never reprinted with it.

It's worth noting that Classic X-Men #1 is not actually a complete reprint of GS X-Men #1.  I think because they did the special edition reprint a couple years before, it's only got a few pages of the original, mostly Xavier recruiting the new members of the team.