• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Books with Interior Tears

6 posts in this topic

Over the years I've owned several golden age books with interior page tears, ranging from very small 1/16" to longer than 1". Several years ago I sent in a raw book that had enough cover wear to drop it to a 7.0 of 7.5 (it was graded as a 6.5 by the dealer). The book also had a few pages with 1" long tears along the right side. CGC graded the book as a 7.5. I've also owned other books with very minor interior tears that have graded at 8.5 or 9.0.

My question is how does CGC tend to grade these books? For instance, if a book has an outer cover that looks like a 9.4/9.6, would CGC factor in a couple of 1/8" interior page tears into the final grade?

In your 7.5 example, could they have missed the tears entirely? :eek:

I’ve always hammered books with interior tears; it does sometimes seem like CGC is more lenient. I don’t really get it either.

20 hours ago, Point Five said:

In your 7.5 example, could they have missed the tears entirely? :eek:

I’ve always hammered books with interior tears; it does sometimes seem like CGC is more lenient. I don’t really get it either.

The tears did not extend to the story panels, but very noticeable, especially when CGC is counting the pages.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:38 AM, skybolt said:

My question is how does CGC tend to grade these books? For instance, if a book has an outer cover that looks like a 9.4/9.6, would CGC factor in a couple of 1/8" interior page tears into the final grade?

You're assuming they open the books to grade them :kidaround: