• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trip to NYC (From UK) advice
1 1

53 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the right section to post  this but potentially looking to book a trip to NYC from the UK for 3/4 days in October and wondered if anyone could recommend -

a) areas to stay and

b) good comic shops

3 of us incl 11 year old son but I’m hoping to negotiate a bit of comic-hunting as well as the usual sightseeing stuff. Any advice welcomed!

@Buzzetta will tell you to see new york, but perhaps skip lcs, unless it's to window shop....

life in NY doesn't really represent prices in the U.S. unless your a BALLER SHOT CALLER :flipbait:

25 minutes ago, Peaky said:

Not sure if this is the right section to post  this but potentially looking to book a trip to NYC from the UK for 3/4 days in October and wondered if anyone could recommend -

a) areas to stay and

b) good comic shops

3 of us incl 11 year old son but I’m hoping to negotiate a bit of comic-hunting as well as the usual sightseeing stuff. Any advice welcomed!

I don't know your budget, but if you're traveling with an 11 year old son, I'd stay in mid-town, near Times Square.  Kids like that area as it has fun and diverting things going on (the lights, toy store, Midtown Comics), it's got kid accessible fast and sorta fast food, and it is convenient to pretty much everywhere else you're going to go either by taxi or subway (for kid recommend the Central Park area attractions of the Met - especially Egyptian temple, Museum of Natural History, Zoo, etc.).  Adults like that area because it is near the theaters, has good restaurants and bars within walking distance, and you can find nice hotels.  Personally, I often stay at the Sofitel, but there are places for every budget including a giant Marriot.  

If you want someplace more hip, try the meat packing district.  It's got the high line, the Whitney Museum of American Art, lots of good bars and restaurants, and is near some of the touristy stuff on the Hudson warterfront (Chelsea Piers, etc.).  I tend to stay at the Gansevoort Hotel in that area, but the Standard Hotel High Line is supposed to be good.  

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

I don't know your budget, but if you're traveling with an 11 year old son, I'd stay in mid-town, near Times Square.  Kids like that area as it has fun and diverting things going on (the lights, toy store, Midtown Comics), it's got kid accessible fast and sorta fast food, and it is convenient to pretty much everywhere else you're going to go either by taxi or subway (for kid recommend the Central Park area attractions of the Met - especially Egyptian temple, Museum of Natural History, Zoo, etc.).  Adults like that area because it is near the theaters, has good restaurants and bars within walking distance, and you can find nice hotels.  Personally, I often stay at the Sofitel, but there are places for every budget including a giant Marriot.  

If you want someplace more hip, try the meat packing district.  It's got the high line, the Whitney Museum of American Art, lots of good bars and restaurants, and is near some of the touristy stuff on the Hudson warterfront (Chelsea Piers, etc.).  I tend to stay at the Gansevoort Hotel in that area, but the Standard Hotel High Line is supposed to be good.  

Thanks sfcityduck, exactly the advice I was looking for, really appreciate your comments 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You are fine in Manhattan... 

stay out of Bed Sty and Brownsville Brooklyn

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/06/nyregion/newyorktoday/nyc-gun-violence.html

I'm not signing up for that.

28 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I seriously need to make a travel guide for the 

I really need to make a travel guide for comic collectors visiting New York.

The first thing I will say is, SKIP the comic shops. 

Go to:

Want more ideas?  Subscribe to:

Feeling adventurous?

• LONG ISLAND - There are many places you can take a trip out by train and then uber to come see... 

Speaking of which... make sure you have the following:

• Uber App
  • Subway App
  • LIRR App - You never know...,

For the love of god though... you are in arguably the greatest city in the world.  Stay the hell away from comic shops. You are basically wasting your time doing the equivalent of dumpster diving to hopefully find something that justifies all that time spent.  Instead you could be seeing a city and experiencing it in a way that goes well above and beyond drawn figures in tights. 

Also... one more thing...

Stay to your right. 

This makes me wish I could cross the border

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

This makes me wish I could cross the border

Just take that ankle bracelet off, and run for it! :banana: 

Some nice pieces of advice here. I split time between Toronto and NY (Manhattan), definitely some good recs here. A couple additional thoughts: 

- Comic shops: if just for the magnitude, check out Midtown Comics. It's one of the largest in the US, and NY has a few locations. If you do end up staying close to Grand Central, there's one very close by (their "Grand Central" location). Not a huge back-issue selection, but their Wed new comics wall is the largest I've seen before

- Food. So much to try here, really ranging on your budget. Given you'll have an 11yr old in tow, a couple cheap eats that I'd recommend that's easy / quick, but that locals  love: 1) The Halal Guys (basically shwarma food cart - their "chicken & rice" platter is well known and ppl still line up around the block during after-hours late night). They're at 53rd and 6th (near the huge Hilton hotel). If you are going to check this out, do a quick google search for "The Halal Guys", as they're so popular, there are lots of imitators nearby (and even at off-hours, take up the same corners. 2) Pio Pio (this is Portuguese chicken, basically rotisserie style chicken, with an addictive "green sauce"). 3) Sushi - if you like real "omakase" style sushi (you sit at the sushi bar, and you just get nigiri-sushi (piece of fish on small amount of rice pieces)), NY some of the best you can get in North America. Can get up there in price, and don't know what the sushi scene is like in the UK, but something to try if you're interested. If this is of interest, let me know and I can follow-up with some recs; 

7 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Some nice pieces of advice here. I split time between Toronto and NY (Manhattan), definitely some good recs here. A couple additional thoughts: 

- Comic shops: if just for the magnitude, check out Midtown Comics. It's one of the largest in the US, and NY has a few locations. If you do end up staying close to Grand Central, there's one very close by (their "Grand Central" location). Not a huge back-issue selection, but their Wed new comics wall is the largest I've seen before

- Food. So much to try here, really ranging on your budget. Given you'll have an 11yr old in tow, a couple cheap eats that I'd recommend that's easy / quick, but that locals  love: 1) The Halal Guys (basically shwarma food cart - their "chicken & rice" platter is well known and ppl still line up around the block during after-hours late night). They're at 53rd and 6th (near the huge Hilton hotel). If you are going to check this out, do a quick google search for "The Halal Guys", as they're so popular, there are lots of imitators nearby (and even at off-hours, take up the same corners. 2) Pio Pio (this is Portuguese chicken, basically rotisserie style chicken, with an addictive "green sauce"). 3) Sushi - if you like real "omakase" style sushi (you sit at the sushi bar, and you just get nigiri-sushi (piece of fish on small amount of rice pieces)), NY some of the best you can get in North America. Can get up there in price, and don't know what the sushi scene is like in the UK, but something to try if you're interested. If this is of interest, let me know and I can follow-up with some recs; 

Toronto is nice

If your a tourist

14 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

David Chang opened up a Fuku over in Hudson Yards... :gossip:  https://eatfuku.com/

Now I am no longer restricted to going to MSG or Citi Field for a Section 119 Fuku Spicy Chicken Sandwich. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Not even.

It's so brutal at ni e in the morning,going to work,everyone is disconnected,the smog is suffocating,people are rude,your accosted ten times from homeless people asking for money.

One time I said "I have food instead"

I pulled out a protein bar,and what does he do

"No" he says in his nasal voice "I want a hamburger"

Tonight I'm riding my bike,and my friend is texting me ten times,so I pull over at Sherbourne and Dundas, uggh,worst place I coulda stopped.

The city really suffocates you.

Before you book your hotel in mid-town, I'd consider staying on the Jersey side - Secaucus for example.  You'll save $$ and a one bus ride is only a few minutes into mid-town.

Try Katz' Deli for a smoked meat - sour pickles and sour service LOL

Go MAN U!!!!

Edited by pemart1966

15 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Toronto is nice

If your a tourist

Toronto is nice if you have Baller Cash.... As its freaking expensive.