• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trip to NYC (From UK) advice
1 1

53 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2019 at 3:04 PM, Buzzetta said:

I seriously need to make a travel guide for the 

I really need to make a travel guide for comic collectors visiting New York.

The first thing I will say is, SKIP the comic shops. 

Go to:

Want more ideas?  Subscribe to:

Feeling adventurous?

• LONG ISLAND - There are many places you can take a trip out by train and then uber to come see... 

Speaking of which... make sure you have the following:

• Uber App
  • Subway App
  • LIRR App - You never know...,

For the love of god though... you are in arguably the greatest city in the world.  Stay the hell away from comic shops. You are basically wasting your time doing the equivalent of dumpster diving to hopefully find something that justifies all that time spent.  Instead you could be seeing a city and experiencing it in a way that goes well above and beyond drawn figures in tights. 

Also... one more thing...

Stay to your right. 

And stay outta Bed Stuy.:eek:

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

And stay outta Bed Stuy.:eek:

Bed Stuy is actually undergoing a gentrification process unlike anyone has seen since the hipsters moved into Williamsburg.   You would be surprised what is going on there in the last three years. 

Check this out... Current advertised rentals... In 10 years, the cost of rent in Bed Stuy has almost doubled.  

Current Rentals in Bed Stuy - Apartments.com

Gentrification increases rent by 40% in Bed Stuy

Now, I live out on the island and would never live in Bed Stuy, not so much because of the neighborhood but because I don't want to hear my neighbors or deal with city nonsense. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Bed Stuy is actually undergoing a gentrification process unlike anyone has seen since the hipsters moved into Williamsburg.   You would be surprised what is going on there in the last three years. 

Check this out... Current advertised rentals... In 10 years, the cost of rent in Bed Stuy has almost doubled.  

Current Rentals in Bed Stuy - Apartments.com

Gentrification increases rent by 40% in Bed Stuy

Now, I live out on the island and would never live in Bed Stuy, not so much because of the neighborhood but because I don't want to hear my neighbors or deal with city nonsense. 

Wow!

Studios are priced as much as my house payment.:eek:

Didn't see this post until now.

Stay away from Time Square. Far too noisy and busy for your situation.

We stayed (a month ago) in the upper west side. 72nd St. Two blocks from Central Park. Supermarket across the street. A block from a subway station. My family felt absolutely safe walking the streets at night. We were there for two weeks! Good restaurants, not too pricey.

My opinion as a simple tourist.

I'm also going to NY, the first week of october, for NYCC. I've been to the city before and already done the touristy stuff, was thinking about focusing on Brooklyn and all the comic shops there. Any tips on hidden gems (restaurants, comic book shops etc) are welcome. :)

Edit: I'm travelling from Sweden though, not the UK like OP. Comic book shops will be awesome as long as they have dollar bins and a somewhat wide selection to preuse (dollar bin back issues here usually lands around the equivalent of 5$ and up).

Edited by Ssantoss

On 8/9/2019 at 3:08 PM, Jmchnaway said:

If you find yourself in the West Village, check out the Mysterious Time machine. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been as a New Yorker, but I always hear great things about the places, and there are bins galore to dig through:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mysterious-time-machine-new-york-2?osq=comics

Agreed. It's the last of the old timely shops. It is 20% the size it used to be after it moved, but he has some interesting stuff and works with you on price if he thinks you actually care about comics and aren't there just for a quick flip. Bring your kids. Last time I was there Roger was doing shots with customers.

Edited by the blob

As for where to go with kids, I have no idea. As a native I enjoyed the dinos at natural history and the armor and Egyptian stuff at metropolitan museum of art as a kid. You can walk through central park to and from each, check out belvedere castle en route, buy some mushrooms in the meadow? Just kidding. 

Edited by the blob

3 hours ago, Ssantoss said:

I'm also going to NY, the first week of october, for NYCC. I've been to the city before and already done the touristy stuff, was thinking about focusing on Brooklyn and all the comic shops there. Any tips on hidden gems (restaurants, comic book shops etc) are welcome. :)

Edit: I'm travelling from Sweden though, not the UK like OP. Comic book shops will be awesome as long as they have dollar bins and a somewhat wide selection to preuse (dollar bin back issues here usually lands around the equivalent of 5$ and up).

A bunch of the shops in Brooklyn closed. Confirm they are open before travel. High rent is killing shops. Joe Koch is in the middle of nowhere, but intetesting and tons of cheap stuff.

Edited by the blob

On 8/15/2019 at 9:19 AM, HeyMoe said:

Didn't see this post until now.

Stay away from Time Square. Far too noisy and busy for your situation.

We stayed (a month ago) in the upper west side. 72nd St. Two blocks from Central Park. Supermarket across the street. A block from a subway station. My family felt absolutely safe walking the streets at night. We were there for two weeks! Good restaurants, not too pricey.

My opinion as a simple tourist.

72nd street is peak yuppie land, don't worry about anything in areas like that. I used to live there. You'd have to go out of your way to get mugged there. Nyc is the safest decent size city in the country. Times Square puts you in the middle of stuff, but is kind of nuts and crazy to walk around. I hate going there.

Broadway tickets don't necessarily have to be expensive if you are open to what show you see.  Check out the TKS booths for daily discounted tickets to various shows, there is a decent variety. You won't find tickets to the absolute hottest shows there, but tickets for like 50 to 100 bucks each for many other fun shows is a pretty good deal. If you do this, check out the TKS booth at the South Street Sea Port downtown. It's usually much faster than standing in line at the Times Square location.

Don't take the advice regarding Times Square to heart if you've never been before. It's an interesting place with many worthwhile spots to visit within a short walk. It is a place to be absolutely avoided if you either live here or have seen it once before. But if you've never been under those lights at night? Check it out. Just be prepared for a ton of people.

Midtown Comics (Times Square location is the biggest with the most wow factor), Time Machine, Alex's MVP on the UES are just a few shops worth checking out. Who gives a if you don't get an amazing deal or even buy something. You like comics? Visit the comic shops. Everything here is over priced; It's New York City.  

On 8/18/2019 at 11:44 AM, BitterOldMan said:

For kids, Museum of Natural History (similar to the one in London), USS Intrepid, and if you want to travel on the subway, Coney Island (similar to Blackpool), but avoid the ripoff carnival games. If you go to Coney Island, ride the Cyclone, before eating.

Museum of Natural History is awesome, my favorite museum of all.  And don't forget to get some real Pizza, not the Pizza Hut type garbage.

Edited by aszumilo