• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trip to NYC (From UK) advice
1 1

53 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I seriously need to make a travel guide for the 

I really need to make a travel guide for comic collectors visiting New York.

The first thing I will say is, SKIP the comic shops. 

Go to:

Want more ideas?  Subscribe to:

Feeling adventurous?

• LONG ISLAND - There are many places you can take a trip out by train and then uber to come see... 

Speaking of which... make sure you have the following:

• Uber App
  • Subway App
  • LIRR App - You never know...,

For the love of god though... you are in arguably the greatest city in the world.  Stay the hell away from comic shops. You are basically wasting your time doing the equivalent of dumpster diving to hopefully find something that justifies all that time spent.  Instead you could be seeing a city and experiencing it in a way that goes well above and beyond drawn figures in tights. 

Also... one more thing...

Stay to your right. 

If the Yankees make the post-season?

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

If the Yankees make the post-season?

Never break open the champagne until there is a reason to break open the bottle of champagne.  

We’ve seen epic collapses before in New York... granted it’s usually those that wear orange and blue but we’ve still seen them. 2007? 2008? Mets? I remember that was Randolph’s team. 

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Never break open the champagne until there is a reason to break open the bottle of champagne.  

We’ve seen epic collapses before in New York... granted it’s usually those that wear orange and blue but we’ve still seen them. 2007? 2008? Mets? I remember that was Randolph’s team. 

Willie randolph

Turning back the clock

Lol

Thanks(thumbsu

Just now, Jeffro™ said:

For food in NYC, all I can say is stay away from the Khlav Kalash cart at One World Trade Center. If you must get it though, have it with a crab juice. Avoid the mountain dew

I love city food carts

I know they are a health hazard but man are they tasty

2 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

For food in NYC, all I can say is stay away from the Khlav Kalash cart at One World Trade Center. If you must get it though, have it with a crab juice. Avoid the mountain dew

lol I loved that Simpsons episode.

Only comic store that I like is Mysterious Time Machine owned by Roger Williams

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mysterious-time-machine-new-york-2

If you are considering going to one of the many tourist traps, purchase your tickets on-line.

airbnb is a better choice than one of the expensive hotel rooms.  However chose carefully.  There are many roach infested apartments in NYC.  October will be very humid, so pick a place with air-conditioning.

I've never lived in New York, but I've been there probably 4-5 times as a visitor (note that I'm American, so some things might not translate or be as fun for someone from overseas):

1.  If you can afford it, stay near Times Square - as stated by others, and generally obvious, its the tourist center of NYC, maybe the world? 

2.  In the event that its available, there may be opportunities to see tv show tapings for FREE, provided you either sign up online in advance.  Daily show, late night shows, sitcoms (comedies?), Saturday Night Live, etc might be things you're interested in.

3.  Staten Island Ferry is like a cheaper boat tour to take. It just goes back and forth from Staten Island, but its nice, and probably  a bit cold.  No need to do anything on staten island, just go there and back.

4.  If its early enough in October, you can go to Flushing (Queens) for a Mets game.  If you go during one of the last few games, they'll have tons of free giveaways and the tickets will be cheap since they're so terrible. Plus Flushing has the cheapest GREAT authentic Chinese food in America.  Yes, as previously stated, you could go to a more expensive (and possibly fun) Yankee playoff game in the bronx.

5.  Hockey - Baseball and Basketball and football are more popular in the US, but Hockey is the best of the sports to watch in person IMO.  You can go to Madison Square Garden for a Rangers game.  I would recommend this for a sporting event if you need one, Baseball is too long and October is cold.  Also, football is waaayyyy too long and cold and complicated for most foreigners.

6.  I think an underrated thing in NYC (depending how long your there) would be just to get bagels and lox in the morning.  Go find a long line in the morning and just get in line and order what everyone else is getting.  Their bagels really are like no where else in the world (I'd get lox too).  Other foods are the aforementioned Halal Guys, and I'd just try a knish from street vendors.  Also, google your favorite celebrity chefs now and make your reservations NOW if that's something you're into.  As others have stated, Dave Chang is legit.

Many thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone - really good of you to take the time and effort to respond to my post - much appreciated!  :) 

On 8/7/2019 at 3:53 PM, Buzzetta said:

David Chang opened up a Fuku over in Hudson Yards... :gossip:  https://eatfuku.com/

Now I am no longer restricted to going to MSG or Citi Field for a Section 119 Fuku Spicy Chicken Sandwich. 

David Chang's overrated.  :whistle:  (I went to Momofuku Ramen and it was the worst ramen i've ever had.  Never have I been to a place where I didn't at least finish my bowl.)

On 8/8/2019 at 7:40 AM, Krishosein said:

Toronto is nice if you have Baller Cash.... As its freaking expensive. 

Is it?  I guess I consider myself blessed that my American dollars go further in Canada.

@Buzzetta pretty much hit it on the head with his great post on the first page.  If you're going to NY, skip the comic shops and go for the sites.  One World Trade Center, Central Park, Grand Central Station, the New York Public Library (go see the actual Winnie the Pooh...and Tigger too!), High Line, Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, Pebble Beach @ DUMBO, Rockefeller Center (the view from 30 Rock > the view from Empire State Building), etc.

I personally enjoy staying in Midtown simply because of accessibility.  Plus, if I'm honest, I enjoy how vibrant the area is.  It helps that it's close to a lot of places I like to eat at (Ess-A-Bagel, Ippudo Ramen, Halal Guys (is there anything better to eat after a night out drinking?)).

19 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

David Chang's overrated.  :whistle:  (I went to Momofuku Ramen and it was the worst ramen i've ever had.  Never have I been to a place where I didn't at least finish my bowl.)

Is it?  I guess I consider myself blessed that my American dollars go further in Canada.

@Buzzetta pretty much hit it on the head with his great post on the first page.  If you're going to NY, skip the comic shops and go for the sites.  One World Trade Center, Central Park, Grand Central Station, the New York Public Library (go see the actual Winnie the Pooh...and Tigger too!), High Line, Brooklyn Bridge, Battery Park, Pebble Beach @ DUMBO, Rockefeller Center (the view from 30 Rock > the view from Empire State Building), etc.

I personally enjoy staying in Midtown simply because of accessibility.  Plus, if I'm honest, I enjoy how vibrant the area is.  It helps that it's close to a lot of places I like to eat at (Ess-A-Bagel, Ippudo Ramen, Halal Guys (is there anything better to eat after a night out drinking?)).

lol 

I became a fan of the spicy chicken sandwich after searching for something new during the 13 night Phish concert at MSG back in 2017.  They were quick, easy and delicious.  

https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/chicken-madison-square-garden/

By the Phish NYE run of 2017, Chang 'gets it.' and is in on the joke... 

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 2.56.39 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol 

I became a fan of the spicy chicken sandwich after searching for something new during the 13 night Phish concert at MSG back in 2017.  They were quick, easy and delicious.  

https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/chicken-madison-square-garden/

By the Phish NYE run of 2017, Chang 'gets it.' and is in on the joke... 

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 2.56.39 PM.png

Sigh...the foodie in me says I've got to try it the next time i'm in town.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

Sigh...the foodie in me says I've got to try it the next time i'm in town.  Thanks.

Go to the one in Hudson Yards... I have not been there myself but supposedly it is the same sandwich.  Sometimes the people at MSG actually screw the sandwich up due to having limited resources to cook and shelve and process food orders at a concert venue. 

8 hours ago, Jmchnaway said:

If you find yourself in the West Village, check out the Mysterious Time machine. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been as a New Yorker, but I always hear great things about the places, and there are bins galore to dig through:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mysterious-time-machine-new-york-2?osq=comics

I cry BS on that.  Seriously... don't bother with comics. 

If you are in the West Village

• West Fourth Street Basketball Court (The Cage)  This is a very famous court where NBA and Amateur ballers go to play REAL basketball.  There is always a crowd watching. I will watch better b-ball there than most anything put on TV. 
  • Down the Hatch and Atomic Wings - I honestly love the wings there.  When a boardie wanted to meet up one time in NYC I met them at Atomic Wings... they loved the wings there... @PeteFromPetesBasement just had a meetup there for his show. Shameless plug for Pete.  
  • Roccos Pastry of Bleeker Street - OMG... place is amazing.  We wanted good pastry and cappuccino a few weeks ago.  It was either here or go to Brooklyn to Fortunato's Brothers Bakery.  Since the L train sucks sewage through a straw we stayed in the city. Rocco's is amazing and has later hours than most other city bakeries. 

Seriously... I may have to make a boardie travel guide... "New York's hottest club is... "

bill-hader-snl-stefon_1.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 6:39 PM, CKinTO said:

Some nice pieces of advice here. I split time between Toronto and NY (Manhattan), definitely some good recs here. A couple additional thoughts: 

- Comic shops: if just for the magnitude, check out Midtown Comics. It's one of the largest in the US, and NY has a few locations. If you do end up staying close to Grand Central, there's one very close by (their "Grand Central" location). Not a huge back-issue selection, but their Wed new comics wall is the largest I've seen before

- Food. So much to try here, really ranging on your budget. Given you'll have an 11yr old in tow, a couple cheap eats that I'd recommend that's easy / quick, but that locals  love: 1) The Halal Guys (basically shwarma food cart - their "chicken & rice" platter is well known and ppl still line up around the block during after-hours late night). They're at 53rd and 6th (near the huge Hilton hotel). If you are going to check this out, do a quick google search for "The Halal Guys", as they're so popular, there are lots of imitators nearby (and even at off-hours, take up the same corners. 2) Pio Pio (this is Portuguese chicken, basically rotisserie style chicken, with an addictive "green sauce"). 3) Sushi - if you like real "omakase" style sushi (you sit at the sushi bar, and you just get nigiri-sushi (piece of fish on small amount of rice pieces)), NY some of the best you can get in North America. Can get up there in price, and don't know what the sushi scene is like in the UK, but something to try if you're interested. If this is of interest, let me know and I can follow-up with some recs; 

:gossip: Pio Pio is actually Peruvian style chicken and highly recommended. Also check out Shake Shack for the best burgers anywhere. :sumo: