• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this color touch?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 5:25 PM, Motor City Rob said:

I've never seen this before in person, but I'm assuming this is a classic case of color touch.  Super disappointed as this seller stated there was no restoration whatsoever.

IMG_20190807_194330.thumb.jpg.82c917c230602a8960a63e4040a9795b.jpg

IMG_20190807_194345.thumb.jpg.b9fbdd5b11236375dc0343329c597edb.jpg

IMG_20190807_194352.thumb.jpg.246fdfbc8c00dda95e871f8a893a9817.jpg

I'm not convinced that's color touch. Can you take clear closeups of the cover area from the other side of these inside shots and post them please?

16 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This one reminds me of something the restoration guys used to say: "If we don't hit it for color touch, everyone will think we missed it..."

I'd like to see the area that's supposed to be hit from the other side. I don't see even a thin spot where some of those darker streaks are on the inside cover and on the cover (externally), I don't see a tell. I see about a mile of fine creases, all without tells for c.t.. Be very strange if someone just picked out a few inches out of a mile of flaked fissures to color touch. Wouldn't be the first time of course.

Edited by James J Johnson

5 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

The diagonal line is very obviously a CT bleed.

Because CT was used there, then you have to assume the other spine spots are CT too.

I'd still like to line up what's on the front cover right at that point. I don't assume. It sorta', kinda' looks like color touch, but it sorta'  kinda' looks like it could be something else as well. Closeups of the front cover at that point would be best to see. And it would very easy for him to simply take a picture exactly like he did of the inside, of the outside. Same size, clarity, res., etc.

Edited by James J Johnson

Just now, James J Johnson said:

I'd like to see the area that's supposed to be hit from the other side. I don't see even a thin spot where some of those darker streaks are on the inside cover and on the cover (externally), I don't see a tell. I see about a mile of fine creases, all without tells for c.t.. Be very strange if someone just picked out a few inches out of a mile of flaked fissures to color touch.

I was thinking that it may have been color touched and after that it was exposed to some moisture, which caused it to partially wash out. But it definitely would help to see the other side...

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

I'd still like to line up what's on the front cover right at that point. I don't assume. It sorta', kinda' looks like color touch, but it sorta'  kinda' looks like it could be something else as well. Closeups of the front cover at that point would be best to see.

the diagonal line seems to correspond to the color breaking crease on the front cover. That crease is hard to see but that would make sense if it were touched up

I am a newb at this sort of thing but that crease seems fishy

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I'd like to see the area that's supposed to be hit from the other side. I don't see even a thin spot where some of those darker streaks are on the inside cover and on the cover (externally), I don't see a tell. I see about a mile of fine creases, all without tells for c.t.. Be very strange if someone just picked out a few inches out of a mile of flaked fissures to color touch.

It's because black markers are the most common markers for amateur CT. 

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

I was thinking that it may have been color touched and after that it was exposed to some moisture, which caused it to partially wash out. But it definitely would help to see the other side...

This. It's the only way to give a responsible answer. Need to see both sides, same size, same rez. That will take all the guesswork out of it.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

He doesn't need to. I was able to get the right settings to come in close and retain rez to pick it up on the large cover scan. It's color touch. No doubt. Wanted to be sure. And it is.

That was a close one...I thought my instincts may have been wrong. Not good for the king of the jungle... lol 

my question was similar to JJJ why would someone do a small CT when there are other better areas that would more than likely get CT like the bottom spine tick and why would they not CT that, it seems off to me that the CT is on the diagonal crease and near the staple but not on the lower book.. but then I though maybe those ticks happened after the CT and that's why the CT is only in those 2 spots...  

4 hours ago, Krishosein said:

my question was similar to JJJ why would someone do a small CT when there are other better areas that would more than likely get CT like the bottom spine tick and why would they not CT that, it seems off to me that the CT is on the diagonal crease and near the staple but not on the lower book.. but then I though maybe those ticks happened after the CT and that's why the CT is only in those 2 spots...  

There's more than those two spots, there's actually quite a few hits of c.t. on it, but still, he attempted to conceal less than 1% of the crease flaking of just the dark (black and brown) areas alone, let alone when you consider that it doesn't look like he even picked up a red or orange marker for the rest. What he did failed to improve the appearance even one iota. What he did is like spitting at the ocean to moisten it. I was almost positive it was color-touch immediately. I just wanted to be sure because it made no sense to color touch it like he did.