How often (if ever) should a book be re-slabbed?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

38 posts

I’m new to encapsulation.  Are there any ‘recalls’ that we know of regarding cases deteriorating over time or perhaps updates in encapsulation methods/materials that warrant re-slabbing?

We all know plastic is a chemical and deteriorates over time.  ln the absence of any specific identified dates of known defects or improper methods, is there a general rule of thumb for replacing slabs?

The reason I ask is that I bought a comic that was slabbed in 2011.  While the condition of the slab appears to be perfect, I’m curious if I need to update the casing every so often.

36,800 posts
1 hour ago, XxSpideyxX said:

While the condition of the slab appears to be perfect, I’m curious if I need to update the casing every so often.

Nah, you're good. 

1,028 posts

I thought I read somewhere that the cases would last a lifetime I think Mylars claim they will last for 50 years.

166 posts

Bags and boards should be replaced every ten years.  Encapsulation should not require that.  I do not intend to have my graded comics reholdered.

969 posts

I think CGC used to recommend reslabbing every 7(?) years. They've since reversed that recommendation. I've wondered a few times if the comics they slabbed during that first phase needed to be reslabbed.

600 posts

Only if you have a server case of OCD and need the cases to to be all the same generation. I went through a sort period of that :roflmao:.

64 posts

Dracula has been using the same coffin for centuries,same should apply to slabbed comics:devil:

6,433 posts
22 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Only if you have a server case of OCD and need the cases to to be all the same generation. I went through a sort period of that :roflmao:.

:pullhair:

1,028 posts
2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:pullhair:

:roflmao: