• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often (if ever) should a book be re-slabbed?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I’m new to encapsulation.  Are there any ‘recalls’ that we know of regarding cases deteriorating over time or perhaps updates in encapsulation methods/materials that warrant re-slabbing?

We all know plastic is a chemical and deteriorates over time.  ln the absence of any specific identified dates of known defects or improper methods, is there a general rule of thumb for replacing slabs?

The reason I ask is that I bought a comic that was slabbed in 2011.  While the condition of the slab appears to be perfect, I’m curious if I need to update the casing every so often.

I thought I read somewhere that the cases would last a lifetime I think Mylars claim they will last for 50 years.

I think CGC used to recommend reslabbing every 7(?) years. They've since reversed that recommendation. I've wondered a few times if the comics they slabbed during that first phase needed to be reslabbed.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:42 AM, Gaard said:

I think CGC used to recommend reslabbing every 7(?) years. They've since reversed that recommendation. I've wondered a few times if the comics they slabbed during that first phase needed to be reslabbed.

It wasn't because of the case - their recommendation was based on the belief that the micro-chamber paper they placed inside the book would reach max capacity after 7 years and would need to be replaced to continue it's acid-absorption process.

They removed this recommendation because:

a) Even if the MCP has become inert, it does nothing to harm the book - it's simply just not doing its thing anymore.

b) There's no evidence that MCP actually becomes inert after 7 years.