• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF5 CGC 5.5 but looks better? Opinions wanted
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I purchased this book from a forum member here, great guy. I received it and was blown away how nice it looked for a 5.5. The left spine marks are really all I see.  I have some 6.5 slabs and even some 7.5s that don’t look this good.  Curious what you guys think.  Also, do I just send to CGC and ask for a regrade?  Or is there another process?  Thanks guys. Back is fine too, that’s iPad and other reflections.  No tears or stains.  

Anyone have success on a regrade?

EE4CCDC3-BFC5-4A40-AB8B-A2CEC51810C1.jpeg

6AAF2715-C488-4602-89EE-D0CC87CCD2B0.jpeg

AFC7096B-C6A3-4F51-9707-DAEC1AFA4682.jpeg

Edited by Gruson

Got the notes 

Front Cover Lite Stain

Spine Crease Breaks Color

Spine Stress Lines

Looks like it’s this stain here, above my thumb, missed it originally. Do they really take off that much for a stain because it doesn’t have much else wrong other than spine. It’s very small.  Should I resubmit?

Pic:

B0ECD490-2ADF-44C9-8326-27A0B2E9EC29.jpeg

And spine closeup:

4EDE45B3-FA34-4D1E-8A09-CA1881318C91.jpeg

Just looks so much better than a 5.5 so guessing they take off a lot for a small stain?

lmk if you think I can get a 6.0 or better.  Thanks. 

Edited by Gruson

11 hours ago, Gruson said:

Well dang, guess that explains it then. Now maybe I can find an AF15 with a similar stain and grade. :)  

This book presents very well.

Please bear in mind that even the best graders can be tougher one week than the next; the truth is that it does happen sometimes. Given the value of this book, it almost certainly went through the Express or Walkthrough tier, which means the finalizer was one of the senior graders at the time. However, that grader may no longer be an active member of the CGC team. 

I think it's worth a shot...  :wishluck:

8 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would send it in for re-holder, though.

I would just be happy with such a damn-nice looking comic. FF #5 might be my grail for that title.

is the current holder damaged? I didn't see that

57 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would send it in for re-holder, though.

I would just be happy with such a damn-nice looking comic. FF #5 might be my grail for that title.

Thanks. I do love it.  

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

with the spine stress I can see and the stain 5.5 seems right. I wouldn't send it in again.

wow, at first glance/first pics you posted, that thing is gorgeous, but i'm glad you posted the 2nd set.  the stain doesn't look like much, but i was hammered a full grade for similar type items, and there are more vertical color-breaks along the spine that really show up in the 2nd pics.  plus the spine breaks.  also have to question the gloss/reflectivity, or lack thereof; might come back a 6.0, sadly it's probably not worth the regrade.

having said that, what a dynamite book.  trade you my next born...

Even though I feel you have a legitimate shot at a higher grade, as you and others here have pointed out, I still have to wonder if it's worth the time, trouble and money for a possible upgrade.

Personally, I'd be happy with it, but it's ultimately your decision.  :foryou:

What kills me is when I see some books get a 6.5 or 7.5 and they have handwriting on the front cover like this one.  Higher grade than my little bitty stain for some stranger’s handwriting and personal name. Surprised handwriting doesn’t bring it down more honestly.  

I will probably send it in for a regrade since I want it in a new slab anyway.  Dealing with another CGC issue now...loose internal case inside the slab I just got from them...can see and feel it move around  🤦🏻‍♂️ 

AA5EA5BD-E83C-4116-8FC4-BBBE45930E37.png