• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we at a peak of back issue worth/sales?
6 6

388 posts in this topic

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

I hear what your saying, but honestly you could make a lot more money selling hot rookie sportscards quick. Think of rookie sports cards as Walking Dead #1 on steroids. Think of when those Zion Williamson rookie cards hit in late October/early November. Some people who play it right and will buy new cars from selling those Zion rookies. That is a normal thing every year in sportscards if you get the right rookie cards.

CC

isn't this what modern comic book speculation buying is? What's the difference? 

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I hear what your saying, but honestly you could make a lot more money selling hot rookie sportscards quick. Think of rookie sports cards as Walking Dead #1 on steroids. Think of when those Zion Williamson rookie cards hit in late October/early November. Some people who play it right will buy new cars for selling those Zion rookies. That is a normal thing every year in sportscards if you get the right rookie cards.

CC

I think RJ Barrett will be good too

The big money is buying hot modern rookie cards and selling short term than buying a Mantle and Pete Rose rookie card now and selling it for like a 5 -10 percent profit in 5 years.

The person who loaded up on Marvel Super-Heroes #13,Eternals #1 and Spider-Gwen #1 most likely made more money than someone who bought 1 copy of golden age Batman #11.

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The big money is buying hot modern rookie cards and selling short term than buying a Mantle and Pete Rose rookie card now and selling it for like a 5 -10 percent profit in 5 years.

The person who loaded up on Marvel Super-Heroes #13,Eternals #1 and Spider-Gwen #1 most likely made more money than someone who bought 1 copy of golden age Batman #11.

I understand your logic in regards to quick strike profitability,but longevity I would choose the Batman

And when you say Spider Gwen you mean Edge of Spiderverse right?

49 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I understand your logic in regards to quick strike profitability,but longevity I would choose the Batman

And when you say Spider Gwen you mean Edge of Spiderverse right?

yes with Spider Gwen. Remember sometimes getting quick money is better because do to inflation money devalues over the years.

A $1000 in hand today is better today than $1500 in hand 30 years from now.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The person who loaded up on Fantastic Four #4 and #48, Giant-Size X-Men #1, TOD #10, WBN #32, and Marvel Spotlight #5 last year most likely made more money than someone who bought 1 copy of golden age Batman #11.

I have a slight correction above on your suggested books. While I understand and agree with your argument, your examples are a bit off. Since EOSV #2 in CGC 9.4 - 9.8 only jumped around $100 from 2018 to 2019 in each grade, you would have had to spend more time chasing 10+ copies to generate a respectable profit. Eternals #1 from 2018 to 2019 is a similar story in sub 9.8 grades, and if you bought MSH #13 last year to sell this year you sold for a huge loss - the CGC 9.4 $10,000 average from 2018 is now a $4,775 average in 2019. The time to buy these books was 2016 and 2017, which is when the rumors first started.

Last year was a better time to load up on other BA keys after Hulk #181 topped $10K in 9.4 (although buying IH 181s in Jan - Mar 2018 would have netted you 100% by the end of the year). And FF #4 and #48 as well as early X-Men (due to Fox/Disney deal). Those were all books that a number of us speculated on in 2018 to sell in 2019 based on 1) movie/tv rumors and 2) the doubling of Hulk #181 floating multiple other BA key boats. 

That being said, buying a Batman #11 in the right grades could have netted a few $1000s as well. It takes a lot of $100 profits to add up to that.

Edited by kimik

On 8/8/2019 at 2:09 PM, NoMan said:

i'm sort of the doom-and-gloom school in all of this. I wrote a very detailed post describing my feelings but I'm not really sure anybody around here gave a s****, including myself.

THE MCU movies will stop and disappear as quickly as the westerns. Now is the time to sell. I'm not currently buying comics and instead I'm selling them and buying old issues of Swank and Club, especially those with Christy Canyon in them.

I dunno. Westerns were HUGE from approx. 1935 thru 1975 or so but they never died....and in the last 10 years I've seen perhaps 7-8 newer Westerns and I've really liked all of them. I don't see that genre going away anytime soon. 

With the MCU I think it comes down to the ideas and the execution of the idea. As long as Marvel/Disney continues to bring in fresh blood and place them in well written movies people will flock to them. Marvel has a huge catalog of characters and stories just ready to be developed for the screen and the Disney Channel. Plus they have good writers coming up with their own unique stories - Thor Ragnarok and GOTG are great examples - they may be based on existing Marvel characters but the directors and writers put their own unique spin on things and focused on character before everything else - I just don't see this dying anytime soon. It's unprecedented how well Marvel has handled the MCU.

New Avengers Vol 1 is tailor made for someone to develop it and add their own spin on it. 80% of those characters are already in the MCU now. 

Now if they would only listen to me and develop Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts and Jeff Parker's Agents of Atlas for the screen. 

1 hour ago, Kramerica said:

I dunno. Westerns were HUGE from approx. 1935 thru 1975 or so but they never died....and in the last 10 years I've seen perhaps 7-8 newer Westerns and I've really liked all of them. I don't see that genre going away anytime soon. 

With the MCU I think it comes down to the ideas and the execution of the idea. As long as Marvel/Disney continues to bring in fresh blood and place them in well written movies people will flock to them. Marvel has a huge catalog of characters and stories just ready to be developed for the screen and the Disney Channel. Plus they have good writers coming up with their own unique stories - Thor Ragnarok and GOTG are great examples - they may be based on existing Marvel characters but the directors and writers put their own unique spin on things and focused on character before everything else - I just don't see this dying anytime soon. It's unprecedented how well Marvel has handled the MCU.

New Avengers Vol 1 is tailor made for someone to develop it and add their own spin on it. 80% of those characters are already in the MCU now. 

Now if they would only listen to me and develop Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts and Jeff Parker's Agents of Atlas for the screen. 

I know this is the perpetual circle of a discussion we seem to be in, but the OP did ask and well I ask how many of those young ladies and young men that after flocking to see Captain Marvel (or whatever MCU movie of the month) are then flocking to pick up her first appearance (or whatever MCU monthly movie first appearance superhero) slabbed in plastic graded 9.8 (or any grade)? (I'm not counting the comic book speculator Facebook group circle jerkers in between sessions of Fortnight or pretend internet sex club whatever you call it playing hot potato comic book with art and stories they couldn't care anything about if they actually ever took the time to read) I think this is the most important question and it seems to me, at least, to be conveniently brushed aside. Like the monkeys that cover their eyes and ears. I could be wrong. I'll listen to other opinions and welcome them. However, for me, some kinda warning bell is going off inside my head about all this that I'm not smart enough to put into words. 

Isn't the fact that there are fewer actual comic book back issue dealers at SDCC now a warning that is loud enough?

And what's with this undying devotion that Disney can do no wrong? Disney has sunk so much money in their theme park type movie roller coasters or whatever that they will never stop making these movies.  Quality what? They want you to buy a ticket to the theme park and buy a t-shirt. Exit through the gift shop. Like screenwriter/author William Goldman used to say, "In Hollywood nobody knows nothing."

Edited by NoMan

someday but probably not in our lifetimes,.. there will be some valuable back issue run fillers as we discover that some particular issues have become scarce ..

this is slowly happening in the coin collecting community as so many common silver coins have been sold and melted

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

How many of those young ladies and young men that after flocking to see Captain Marvel are flocking to pick up her first appearance slabbed in plastic graded 9.8? I think this is the most important question and it seems to me, at least, to be conveniently brushed aside. I could be wrong. Seems I usually am. But some kinda warning bell is going off inside my head about all this. Paranoia maybe. 

Isn't the fact that there are fewer actual comic book back issue dealers at SDCC now a warning that is loud enough?

Well, not many that's for sure. They simply don't have the money and/or they are concerned with other less material things like their iPhone, Fortnite, GTA, HipHop and browsing p*rnsites. Their allowance allows those things or they're free but they can't be buying key books. They don't want them yet anyway....most are just looking to get to 2nd base.

All I could afford at 13 was a measly Hulk #181 in NM+ or DD #158 when I desperately wanted FF #1, ASM #1, AF #15, Hulk #1 & TOS #39. My big spender at $75.00 was GSX #1. No, it wasn't until I was 28 or so that I could afford keys even with the big price jump they went through in the early 1990's. So hopefully these kids seeing Captain Marvel will want that 9.8 #1 when they've entered the workforce and they can afford it. Owning the movies won't be cool. Anyone can do that. But having a 9.8 is a different story and one that will still be appreciating at a decent, if unspectacular rate.

As to why there are fewer dealers at SDCC? It's simply too expensive. That's where the big $$$ are. There are lots of people out there who would love to set up there but they don't have that kind of money upfront. I'd love to see a graph of how much it has been to set up at SDCC from 1970 to present. I think around 2008 is where it really starts to climb. 

2 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Well, not many that's for sure. They simply don't have the money and/or they are concerned with other less material things like their iPhone, Fortnite, GTA, HipHop and browsing p*rnsites. Their allowance allows those things or they're free but they can't be buying key books. They don't want them yet anyway....most are just looking to get to 2nd base.

All I could afford at 13 was a measly Hulk #181 in NM+ or DD #158 when I desperately wanted FF #1, ASM #1, AF #15, Hulk #1 & TOS #39. My big spender at $75.00 was GSX #1. No, it wasn't until I was 28 or so that I could afford keys even with the big price jump they went through in the early 1990's. So hopefully these kids seeing Captain Marvel will want that 9.8 #1 when they've entered the workforce and they can afford it. Owning the movies won't be cool. Anyone can do that. But having a 9.8 is a different story and one that will still be appreciating at a decent, if unspectacular rate.

As to why there are fewer dealers at SDCC? It's simply too expensive. That's where the big $$$ are. There are lots of people out there who would love to set up there but they don't have that kind of money upfront. I'd love to see a graph of how much it has been to set up at SDCC from 1970 to present. I think around 2008 is where it really starts to climb. 

don't get me wrong. i've got comics and one day i'd like to cash out and make some bread. I won't tho. I buy them because I love the stories and art. Maybe one or two books that are big keys will make me a buck or two, the others, nope. 

These kids today aren't gonna remember Captain Marvel when and if (and that a big IF) they ever have discretionary income. They aren't gonna remember Captain Marvel two weeks after seeing it. And by the time they MAYBE have some money for buying back their childhood there will already by 750 more MCU movies, 500 more Star Wars movies, 200 Star Wars reboots and about 1700 more other reboots and 400 more reboots of those reboots, 10,000 websites and 3,000 tv stations over 200 platforms. Where is an adult of tomorrow that is a kid of today even gonna know where to focus? He's gonna be living with his mom and dad. Forever. And God love mom and dad but they'll probably be sick of 'em. Sure honey, you can't afford your own apartment but buying a Tony Stark Gold Armor Statue for $750.00 because someone on your internet Facebook group thinks it's a good idea and the "woman" you're having virtual sex with thinks it looks cute!

This of course in not all encompassing to all kids. Many study and work very hard. But every kid I'm familiar with, yeah, it's just like what I wrote above.

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Kramerica said:

Now if they would only listen to me and develop Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts and Jeff Parker's Agents of Atlas for the screen. 

Interesting to see if the Atlas Foundation team is included in the Shang-Chi film.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I honestly believe that if Marvel and DC would produce inexpensive books (print them on less fancy paper) and put them on spinning racks in grocery / drug stores kids will buy them. When I was a kid in the early 80’s I would ask my mom for one every time we went into Eckerds. A big problem, I think, is that the average 10 year old kid isn’t exposed to any comics. They have to go out of their way to buy one at a comic shop. I wouldn’t have done that, or even known what a comic shop is if I hadn’t been introduced to them at the drugstore.

Of course the characters/ IP will be fine, there’s no question about that. Everybody knows who spider-man is. Disney, you own Marvel, put some effort into improving the comics side of the business. It will only help the movies/toys and other products.

Edited by BrooksR

4 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Interesting to see if the Atlas Foundation team is included in the Shang-Chi film.

By all rights they should be. I loved that series. Such a cool cast of characters. I doubt they'd make it into the movie though....not enough time. And now that I think of it I think they'd be better served on Marvel/Disney streaming much like Doom Patrol has been. That will give you much more time to focus on the characters.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:27 AM, 1Cool said:

I think the biggest indication of a "crash" will be the number of e-bay auctions.  If that number skyrockets (especially if the number of $0.99 auctions jump up) you will know people are blowing out books.  Take a look what books are in the $2 / $5 boxes at Cons and you get a clear indication of how desperate dealers are to move stock and possibly sell at nearly no profit.  I'm in no way saying there is a crash going on but saying younger people will pick up comic books as they get older and stop a decline in prices over the next couple decades is just shortsighted.

Why 6 or 7 years for a crash?  I represent a big chunk of the collectors right now (45 years old) and I'll only be 52 in 7 years.  The older baby boomers will unfortunately being leaving us in droves in the next 10 years but there seems to be a ton of us mid 40 year olds to pick up the slack.  Speculators leaving will bring down the prices of mini key books like X-Men 221 or FF 67 but the true keys books like X-Men 1 or FF 1 should do just fine if the speculators leave.  I think we will have to look out 15 - 20 years to really see a "crash" in prices since most of the baby boomers will have left us and my generation will be full swing gearing up for retirement. 

So..... your .....saying there.....is still a chance 

I could get a Detective 27 when I'm 80?

^^

On 8/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, Wolverinex said:

Hmm is the silver demographic dying off or going into retirement?

Or is it possible they are taking their bags of money and spending it on the much more challenging and rewarding GA comic book market, considering how much some of those prices have moved up in such a short period of time? hm

Especially when collecting SA books, and in particular Marvel SA is really not much of a challenge at all as a complete set can probably be obtained in a week's time, depending on how fast you are willing to open your wallet. :p

7 hours ago, kimik said:

if you bought MSH #13 last year to sell this year you sold for a huge loss - the CGC 9.4 $10,000 average from 2018 is now a $4,775 average in 2019. 

So, are you really trying to tell me the person who paid over $30K :screwy: for a CGC 9.6 graded copy of MSH #13 last year is not going to be the bulk of that money any time soon?  doh!  :tonofbricks:

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you really trying to tell me the person who paid over $30K :screwy: for a CGC 9.6 graded copy of MSH #13 last year is not going to be the bulk of that money any time soon?  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Why was there such a massive drop in the book’s value?

21 minutes ago, alexanderjk said:
41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why was there such a massive drop in the book’s value?

Most likely because it made no sense for anybody to be paying that kind of money for that book in the first place, especially when there were already several other equivalent graded copies along with another higher graded copy on the census already.  :gossip:

Nothing more than a return to normalcy after a short time period of hyper irrational exuberence.  hm

Edited by lou_fine