• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we at a peak of back issue worth/sales?
6 6

388 posts in this topic

Just also wanted to mention I do believe this hobby is still growing globally.  I do remember threads decades ago mentioning back issues leaving North America, perhaps never to return. That would fuel demand on top of everything else. Now, I don't have anything to back up this statement as I'm not a dealer, but I'm sure some of you out there might?

Sellers, are any of your books still going overseas?

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

He's humble, generous and decent,

Yup.  He's always struck me as a kind, empathic person with a great sense of humour.

We need more like him.  

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hey, CC, you must be five years old if you think that the 'charts' mean anything to anyone here. The only reason you feature on them at all is because you and your buddies have this ridiculous like ring going on.

Ring? Circle? Whatever. They're just clueless jerks.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Another comic that is selling high in volume is 

image.jpeg.85a5607d30ab95e657f12d7f4a6d11eb.jpeg

It sold way many more copies Batman #11 did in the same timespan on Ebay.

The point is I am trying to make is you can make way more profit off these Marvel movie speculation hyped comics books than a lot of those old vg golden age comic books short term. 

Once again, to each their own as it clearly looks like you are talking about 2 completely different kinds of buyers in the comic book book market here with these 2 examples of yours.

With the Batman 11, you are talking about the long term vintage comic book collector who is spending time in the market.  With the Gwen Stacy book, you are talking much more about the day trader where it's all about trying to time the market and flip the book for a big percentage profit before it falls like a rock.  :wishluck:

Any bets that the collector who put their money into say an Amazing-Man #22, Archie 50, Cinderella Love 25, Mystery Men 30, or even a Seven Seas 4 back in the late 80's or early 90's is doing a whole lot better now than the person who put the same amount of money into books like the then hot books of the time like Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters #1, Adventurers #1 (Skeleton Variant cover), Boris the Bear #1,  Lady Death #1, McFarlane's Spidey #1, Malibu's Ultraverse line of books, Jim Lee's X-Men #1, Valiant's Deathmate books, etc., etc., etc.  hm

Personally for myself, I am much better at spending time in the marketplace.  If I was trying to time the market, I am the one that would probably have ended up paying over $30K for the Marvel Super-Heroes #13 or something like $90K for the FF #52.  :tonofbricks:

Are you really Boston Corbett in disguise here?  Wasn't he the economics professor who paid over $12K for a NM 98 in what is now a not so hard to find grade and then proceeded to lectured all of us here on the boards about the dynamic economics of the comic book marketplace and how his book would never ever go down in value.  After being schooled by him on his flawless economic theory of comic book investing, I believe he ended it with his classic line of:  THUS ENDTH THE LESSON.

Well, all I can say is that it certainly did for him.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

If anyone has Netflix, this is an interesting watch that could have some parallels.  I recommend it from a collector's perspective:

https://decider.com/2019/07/25/jack-of-all-trades-netflix-baseball-card-documentary/

Meh.  That flick was more about a father and son reconnecting.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:17 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good but I am one of the bosses of this forum. Where are you on the charts?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/leaderboard/

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topmembers/

How does one acquire points?  :preach: