• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we at a peak of back issue worth/sales?
6 6

388 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2019 at 5:53 AM, lou_fine said:

Back to the original question as per the title of this thread here.

Looks like we aren't quite at the peak just yet, since we still have another day for all of you lucky boardies to bid here:

RAD5D93820151223_23446.jpg

After all, who wouldn't bid since it's still sitting here at the bargain basement price of only $74,000 with just one more day to go.  :takeit:  :screwy:

It finished at $85.000 that is insane,

3 hours ago, batmiesta said:

It finished at $85.000 that is insane,

Compared to what I paid for my 9.6 copy, I thought the run up in price on my cheaper, "lowly" NM+ had itself been insane.

170 x difference, all for timing and avoiding a couple of barely visible, non-colour-breaking spine ticks, and a perfectly-registered copy in my case.

Yup, it's gone a bit mental.

Edited by Ken Aldred

49 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

If I am the seller I am laughing my way to the bank at the guy that handed me the money for this. 

Buzzetta could get that much for his socks-

8 hours ago, kav said:

Buzzetta could get that much for his socks-

We shall see.  2019 Edition 1:1 flip flops are almost done. 

3 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Yeah! Can you imagine being the seller watching the price go up and up ? I would be hyperventilating .:ohnoez:

Wasn't this offered at a fixed price of somewhere in the $100-150K range not that long ago?  Anyone able to confirm that? 

If so, maybe the seller was disappointed by the result. :fear:

On 8/31/2019 at 8:16 AM, delekkerste said:
On 8/31/2019 at 5:04 AM, batmiesta said:

Yeah! Can you imagine being the seller watching the price go up and up ? I would be hyperventilating .:ohnoez:

Wasn't this offered at a fixed price of somewhere in the $100-150K range not that long ago?  Anyone able to confirm that? 

If so, maybe the seller was disappointed by the result. :fear:

This might actually be the case as apparently the consignor had a big reserve set on the book and possibly the only reason why the book even got up to such lofty levels in the end.  :gossip:

Nevertheless, it appears to have been a very astute move on the part of the consignor as the book was apparently only sitting at $25K before CL had to kick in the reserve at the one bid increment lower than the $70K reserve price one day prior to the end of the auction.  If they hadn't done that, I somehow suspect there would not have been 2 bidders out there who would have thrown in atomic bomb style bids at the end which would have taken the book to such astronomical levels in the end.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

40 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This might actually be the case as apparently the consignor had a big reserve set on the book and possibly the only reason why the book even got up to such lofty levels in the end.  :gossip:

Nevertheless, it appears to have been a very astute move on the part of the consignor as the book was apparently only sitting at $25K before CL had to kick in the reserve at the one bid increment lower than the $70K reserve price one day prior to the end of the auction.  If they hadn't done that, I somehow suspect there would not have been 2 bidders out there who would have thrown in atomic bomb style bids at the end which would have taken the book to such astronomical levels in the end.  hm

I’m confused.  Are you saying that CL added a reserve to an auction that originally didn’t have one?

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m confused.  Are you saying that CL added a reserve to an auction that originally didn’t have one?

According to a previous board member who was folling the action on this book, the lot always had a reserve set on it from the get go.

When auction lots do not hit their reserve price on CL, the auction house will then bump the bid up to 1 increment just below the reserve price just before (one day I believe) the end of the auction.  They note this with an asterick on the auction bid when it has been set at the 1 increment below the reserve price, but will remove it when the reserve is met.  I clearly noticed this on the first book in the auction here which was an Action 16 and clicked onto the asterick to see what it meant.

I was not following the book myself, but this is what I saw from a post by another board member here.  The auction price history would tend to confirm that there must have been some kind of reserve in there for the book to jump like that.   (shrug)

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

According to a previous board member who was folling the action on this book, the lot always had a reserve set on it from the get go.

When auction lots do not hit their reserve price on CL, the auction house will then bump the bid up to 1 increment just below the reserve price just before (one day I believe) the end of the auction.  They note this with an asterick on the auction bid when it has been set at the 1 increment below the reserve price, but will remove it when the reserve is met.  I clearly noticed this on the first book in the auction here which was an Action 16 and clicked onto the asterick to see what it meant.

I was not following the book myself, but this is what I saw from a post by another board member here.  The auction price history would tend to confirm that there must have been some kind of reserve in there for the book to jump like that.   (shrug)

The auction house basically shill bids the auction to just under the reserve?

8 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

There was always a reserve for this one, and it was met (it says "Reserve Met" if you look at the listing).  

My only question is am I recalling correctly that this book was offered in the $100Ks recently?  Wasn't it on CLink's "Exchange" earlier this year or last year? 

On 8/31/2019 at 1:17 PM, Bronty said:

How did you like the result being the owner of the cover?

I don't know that it has much bearing on the price of the cover art (I mean, there are million-dollar pieces of art like the Jim Lee X-Men #1 gatefold cover, where the book is worth peanuts), so, I'm a polite (shrug) about the result, which was a fraction of what I've been offered (and turned down) for the cover in the past few months.  Would have been nice to see an even bigger number though. :devil: 

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

There was always a reserve for this one, and it was met (it says "Reserve Met" if you look at the listing).  

My only question is am I recalling correctly that this book was offered in the $100Ks recently?  Wasn't it on CLink's "Exchange" earlier this year or last year? 

I don't know that it has much bearing on the price of the cover art (I mean, there are million-dollar pieces of art like the Jim Lee X-Men #1 gatefold cover, where the book is worth peanuts), so, I'm a polite (shrug) about the result, which was a fraction of what I've been offered (and turned down) for the cover in the past few months.  Would have been nice to see an even bigger number though. :devil: 

Yeah I figured it wasn’t a huge deal to you either way but I was curious . 

Xmen 1 for a million dollars?   How do I say this politely?  

Got it:

To each his own. 

10 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Here is a CGC thread from 2017 mentioning the TOD 9.9 at $125K on ComicLink:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/406763-tomb-of-dracula-fans/page/3/