• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we at a peak of back issue worth/sales?
6 6

388 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, october said:

Didn't you read those auctions? #3 is a "critically important investment piece".

:eek:

lol 

My favorite is when they say:  "Although quite a few of these elite PSA 9 examples exist we can say with confidence that the demand for this card will always exceed supply.", which is a point that they make often.  Like, there can never be enough Michael Jordan rookie cards, because so many millions of people love Michael Jordan.  I mean, it's like they never took Economics 101 and learned that price rations demand.  If the Michael Jordan rookie card is free, then, OK, there can never be enough to meet the demand, but, at/above the going rate of low $30Ks for a PSA 10 graded example, you're not going to have trouble finding people willing to sell them to you there. 

I just question who these people are who pony up $13K for an autographed, limited edition Tiger Woods "rookie card", as if anyone who is a golf or Tiger Woods fan somehow considers...a golf card to be the pinnacle of Tiger Woods collectibles/memorabilia.  And $35K for a 2-year old manufactured collectible Ronald Acuna card?  Surely you can buy entire game-worn uniforms (as in plural) for that kind of dough, and still have loads of cash leftover.  Wasting tens of thousands of dollars on these autographed refractor cards is the height of stupidity; only someone stuck in the last century would think that younger people revere the best graded and most rare of these manufactured collectibles as the pinnacle expression of fandom in this day and age.  One of these stupid manufactured collectible Tom Brady rookie cards sold for $400K (!!!) earlier this year!  Good grief; again, you could buy entire uniforms and game worn helmets and such for that much money, and still have enough left over to buy 50-yard line, front row seats for all of Brady's remaining games at Foxboro over the next 2 or 3 seasons. :facepalm: 

On 8/15/2019 at 1:41 AM, lou_fine said:

Are you really so sure about this?

I believe it really matters when you went and loaded up on these particular books here.  hm

Batman #11 sells about 20 copies a year on eBay compared to Hulk #181 ASM #300 and NM#98 which sell close to 50- 100 a month. 

Please look up ebay completed sales for a source.

One of the first things that shocked me was how slow Golden Age sales are compared to  silver age,bronze, copper and modern age comics.

Modern comics shocked me in the other way as I was surprised how much volume they do, especially Spider-Man and Batman modern comics.

So yeah people who are loading up on these Marvel speculation movie hyped books are making way more profit than someone holding onto a vg golden age Batman #11 for 5 to 10 years.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I did a show on Saturday -- a medium-sized one-day con -- in the Lehigh Valley (PA), and while I sold my fair share of wall-type books, I also sold 3 long boxes worth of comics (50 centers to $50). While there certainly were plenty of people just looking for that hot book, there were a lot of people with their want lists out, checking off that issue of Dr. Strange from the 80s that they needed.

Comic collecting is still going strong. It may not be as strong as in the early 90s, but there was a wide range of collectors out in full force, whether it's that hot variant that came out this week (not that I sell any of that, but others did), to keys, to filler, to random comics that just have a good cover. 

38 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Batman #11 sells about 20 copies a year on eBay compared to,Hulk #181 ASM #300 and NM#98 which sell close to 50- 100 a month. 

One of the first things that shocked me was how slow Golden Age sales are compared to  silver age,bronze, copper and modern age comics.

Modern comics shocked me in the other way as I was surprised how much volume they do, especially Spider-Man and Batman modern comics.

So yeah people who are loading up on these Marvel speculation movie hyped books are making way more profit than someone holding onto a vg golden age Batman #11 for 5 to 10 years.

Sometimes it's not about money, but what you like. I have a Batman 11 that I doubt I'll ever part with, while I'm only mildly interested in Hulk 181. The other two I could care less about. As far as sales go, Batman 11 is pretty rare, while the other three books you mention are so common that almost every dealer has at least one copy of each.

1 hour ago, Larryw7 said:

Sometimes it's not about money, but what you like. I have a Batman 11 that I doubt I'll ever part with, while I'm only mildly interested in Hulk 181. The other two I could care less about. As far as sales go, Batman 11 is pretty rare, while the other three books you mention are so common that almost every dealer has at least one copy of each.

Absolutely.  Batman 11 is a tough book to get while Hulk 181 is common as dirt.

59 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I understand it`s not always about money  and I get that Batman #11 is more rare, but once again sometimes demand is more important than rarity. More people rather have  Hulk #181, NM#98 and ASM #300. That does not mean Batman #11 is a bad bet, but just that the mainstream crowd wants the other three more.

Another comic that is selling high in volume is 

image.jpeg.85a5607d30ab95e657f12d7f4a6d11eb.jpeg

It sold way many more copies Batman #11 did in the same timespan on Ebay.

The point is I am trying to make is you can make way more profit off these Marvel movie speculation hyped comics books than a lot of those old vg golden age comic books short term. 

Just like in sports cards where Luka Doncic, Jayson Tatum, Ohtani and Aaron Judge rookies have made more profit than someone buying vg Ted Williams, DiMaggio and Kevin McHale rookie cards and trying to hold them for a decade.

18 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yes but once again demand for Hulk #181 is off the charts. 

I can,t afford IHn181 but I might get 182 someday soon while still affordable , might get 180 too 👏👏‼️‼️

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Batman #11 sells about 20 copies a year on eBay compared to Hulk #181 ASM #300 and NM#98 which sell close to 50- 100 a month. 

Keep in mind Action #1 rarely sells but that does not mean it is dropping in value.

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I understand it`s not always about money  and I get that Batman #11 is more rare, but once again sometimes demand is more important than rarity. More people rather have  Hulk #181, NM#98 and ASM #300. That does not mean Batman #11 is a bad bet, but just that the mainstream crowd wants the other three more.

Another comic that is selling high in volume is 

image.jpeg.85a5607d30ab95e657f12d7f4a6d11eb.jpeg

It sold way many more copies Batman #11 did in the same timespan on Ebay.

The point is I am trying to make is you can make way more profit off these Marvel movie speculation hyped comics books than a lot of those old vg golden age comic books short term. 

Just like in sports cards where Luka Doncic, Jayson Tatum, Ohtani and Aaron Judge rookies have made more profit than someone buying vg Ted Williams, DiMaggio and Kevin McHale rookie cards and trying to hold them for a decade.

That's because there are hundreds of copies of all of the books you refer to, but only a few Batman 11's. As for demand, Joker covers are.scorching hot, and Batman 11 is a classic Joker cover.

18 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

That's because there are hundreds of copies of all of the books you refer to, but only a few Batman 11's. As for demand, Joker covers are.scorching hot, and Batman 11 is a classic Joker cover.

BUT the demand  for NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181 is much higher quadruple the demand than Batman #11. Actually I was being nice when I said Batman #11 sold about 20 copies during the year on eBay. IT was under 10 copies the whole year. NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181 SELL about 10 copies a day on Ebay. You can tell me all you want how great and rare Batman #11 is but the sales facts on Ebay say more people want  NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181. Facts are more people want those keys than Batman #11. The cover Joker argument is weak as that`s saying ASM #26 a Green Goblin cover is more in demand than NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181.

23 hours ago, kav said:

Keep in mind Action #1 rarely sells but that does not mean it is dropping in value.

What would be a better investment be though buying a few rental properties or buying a Action #1 ?

If I remember correctly it was the auction houses that paid big money for Action #1 a few years ago. A bunch of people teamed up for that book.

I say buying a bunch a real estate is a better bet than buying one expensive comic book.

I seriously doubt the people who paid big bucks for Detective Comics #27 and Action Comics #1 would get their money back now.  They spent the big bucks back then to keep a illusion that the old ga books are hot. Nah, the real money is in the modern stuff. I guarantee CGC makes more money off slabbing modern sig and modern books than GA books. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Certainly CGC makes more money off moderns, that’s mostly what’s submitted. And if you’re looking for a quick $10-$40 flip, moderns CAN be where to look, but they can also be very finicky. You could spend money on a hot modern getting slabbed, but if it comes back a 9.6 it’s not worth the cost. If the thing takes several months to slab and the heat dies down you could be looking at a $5 book nobody wants anymore by the time it comes back. And I think we are all kind of thinking comics today are in a bubble and when that bubble bursts you could have a Batman 10 or hundreds of copies of Walking Dead #193, if day the guy with Batman #10 will do better

49 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

BUT the demand  for NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181 is much higher quadruple the demand than Batman #11. Actually I was being nice when I said Batman #11 sold about 20 copies during the year on eBay. IT was under 10 copies the whole year. NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181 SELL about 10 copies a day on Ebay. You can tell me all you want how great and rare Batman #11 is but the sales facts on Ebay say more people want  NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181. Facts are more people want those keys than Batman #11. The cover Joker argument is weak as that`s saying ASM #26 a Green Goblin cover is more in demand than NM #98,ASM #300 and Hulk #181.

You’re ignoring Batman 11’s much higher price.  I’d much rather have a Batman 11 than any of those books, but it costs much more than even the Hulk 181.  Price a VF Batman 11 at $300 on a table next to a VF ASM 300 at the same price and see what the demand for the books really looks like. 🙂

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I have never seen someone type so many words to explain that they don’t understand the supply part of supply and demand

3 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

You’re ignoring Batman 11’s much higher price.  I’d much rather have a Batman 11 than any of those books, but it costs much more than even the Hulk 181.  Price a VF Batman 11 at $300 on a table next to a VF ASM 300 at the same price and see what the demand for the books really looks like. 🙂

You`re ignoring you could have bought multiple issues of Hulk #181, NM #98 and ASM #300 during the same time frame while buying a Batman #11 in the same time frame.

Damn you are a Wall Street guy and you should know that if someone bought one Batman #11 they could have made way more buying a assortment of multiple copies of ASM#300, NM #98 and Hulk 181.

damn that Spider Gwen Stacy first appearance with multiple copies would have made you more bank than your old Batman #11

3 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

I have never seen someone type so many words to explain that they don’t understand the supply part of supply and demand

Good but I am one of the bosses of this forum. Where are you on the charts?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/leaderboard/

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topmembers/