• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we at a peak of back issue worth/sales?
6 6

388 posts in this topic

......of course having said that, my IH#181 just scored me 700% as well, but from a purchase 10 years ago with a lot of luck thrown in . There are only a few post-1970 books that one can get lucky with timing and patience, but GA keys and grails have been bullet-proof for a long time

Edited by fishbone

On 8/22/2019 at 5:12 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks. It gave me no pleasure to make it, but what was said was outrageous and needed challenging. 

I wish they'd just switch the leaderboard off. It serves no purpose whatsoever other than to inflate the wholly misguided egos of those who have made it their mission to manipulate and abuse it. Can you imagine the mindset of an adult who spends hours of their time every day looking for historic posts by their mates to like? And then claim that the result is somehow a positive reflection of their worth to / standing on the forum? Come on.

Its insanity, childish, and every other BS thing I cant imagine. 

Good on you my friend. :applause:

Edited by oakman29
Jsilverjanet is the ring leader.

Well, if last night's Heritage auction was any indication, it definitey looks like the good times are still here to rock and roll.  :gossip:

Decided to do one of my very few forays into Heritage's Sunday auctions yesterday afternoon and threw in a pie in the sky crazy bid for this book here:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, Marvel Super-Heroes #13 (Marvel, 1968) Condition: FN-....

Thought for sure that my bid would be safe and forgot all about checking back in to see if anybody would be even crazier than me.

Looks like there was as some crazy fool out there :screwy: went one increment higher than me and bidded $240 on the book for a final price of $288.  My bad as I really should have gone back in and check, especially since I would have been willing to up my bid to $260 for an all-in price of $310 or about a 20% discount to condition guide.  :takeit:

My problem is that I just can't figure out if we are still on a continuation of the uptrend :whee:on the $31,111 that was paid less than a year ago for the then NOT highest graded CGC 9.6 graded copy of this book or are we now over the peak and starting to hit the downward side   :tonofbricks:of the chart for this red hot book here.  hm  (shrug)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:39 PM, fishbone said:

I can put that doubt to rest. My Action 1 and Tec27 (albeit both restored) purchased 9 and 10 years ago respectively, would give me a return of 200% on both initial "investments", where my house I bought at the same time in a very hot market (Toronto) right now would get me a 75% return if I sold today.

I sold my Action #13 last year and made a 750% profit from original price in 2008!!   No real estate, and very few investments at all, could out-perform the grail GA market over the last decade I would respectfully suggest.

The reason Batman#11 doesn't outsell ASM#300 and IH#181 is because there AREN'T MANY OUT THERE.  If there were, it would sell like crazy.     

Real estate gains are tax free here (for your primary residence) up to $250K for singles/$500k for couples. Comic gains not so much. The S&P 500 has more than tripled (quadrupled?) since it tanked in 2008/9. Obviously a 750% return is great over 10 years, but that 200% return has been matched in many places.

Wasn’t there a time when earning a consistent 10% annual roi made you some kind of market genius? Reminds me of the housing bubble. Not just comics, there are countless things earning a reliable insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof 10% or more. My house is doing 50k a year in equity, probably not after next year though 

19 hours ago, the blob said:

Real estate gains are tax free here (for your primary residence) up to $250K for singles/$500k for couples. Comic gains not so much. The S&P 500 has more than tripled (quadrupled?) since it tanked in 2008/9. Obviously a 750% return is great over 10 years, but that 200% return has been matched in many places.

I included tax implications in my percentages .... 

1 hour ago, fishbone said:
21 hours ago, the blob said:

I included tax implications in my percentages .... 

:idea:  Have you included all of your losses for your MA newsstand comic book purcahses to offset some of your gains?  

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

So you get points by liking and reacting to other peoples' posts? sounds silly.

no you get points by people liking your own posts.... you can't give yoirself points

cointanly

21 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Wasn’t there a time when earning a consistent 10% annual roi made you some kind of market genius? Reminds me of the housing bubble. Not just comics, there are countless things earning a reliable insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof 10% or more. My house is doing 50k a year in equity, probably not after next year though 

Yeah, I never understood the Madoff mess. His fake returns were not that great. The S&P 500, with dividend reinvestment, has done better than that over the last 35 years, I believe (not accounting for taxes), even with a few crashes thrown in, assuming you are putting in a certain amount each month. Not so much if you started putting in right before the 2000 crash. Timing is important. Luck is too. If you had plopped all your money down on it in May 2000 you would have not done that well the last nearly 20 years. (Dividend reinvestment is crucial though.)