• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we at a peak of back issue worth/sales?
6 6

388 posts in this topic

If you are in this hobby for "investment", then it makes total sense to cash out now.  I have been reading comics on and off for 40 years now and never have seen the prices and interest at this peak before.  The mega keys should be safe, but all others sell sell sell.

1 minute ago, Broke as a Joke said:

If you are in this hobby for "investment", then it makes total sense to cash out now.  I have been reading comics on and off for 40 years now and never have seen the prices and interest at this peak before.  The mega keys should be safe, but all others sell sell sell.

WTB FILLER ASM AND X MEN lol 

1 hour ago, Bookery said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

Comics General usually consists of a bunch of rabid people with strong opinions talking past each other.

That's not even remotely true.  In fact, I remember one of the best chocolate milkshakes I ever had was in a little place in a remote small town in Colorado.

It was a fish taco in Montana, you ahole. :sumo: 

3 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

So yes, I think superhero movies will decrease in popularity starting now.

We got to remember the Marvel Cinematic Universe is a different beast. There really has never been anything like it, even Star Wars got fatigued with the Solo movie. This Marvel Cinematic Universe is uncharted waters. I think we haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg. Marvel has Disney hyping it. Hard to beat Disney with hype. We will see, but I am betting all the Marvel key prices now will look like bargains in 5-10 years.

I actually agree with this and have been thinking the same thing.  The Marvel movie push resulting in some previously obscure dollar comics to rapidly raise in value has a definite shelf life.  The public has already indicated after Endgame that they are being burned out on superhero movies.  I think that will reflect on back issue comics as well.

Jim

2 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

Super hero movies aren’t increasing print runs of modern monthlies, but they are absolutely fueling speculation of back issues. 

But we don't know who are buying those issues.  I would argue that we essentially have two different audience segments enjoying the movies.  The first (the older generation) watch the movies and fuel the back issues that support those movies.  The far larger segment (younger generation) watch the movies but are not called to collect the comics, new or otherwise.

I personally will never get tired of seeing superhero movies.  And I know my son won't either.  

How many issues is Detective Comics up to now?  Or Amazing Spider-Man?  And those come out one a month, not once every couple of years!    I don't think it's possible for me to burnout on any form of Spider-Man :)

On 8/8/2019 at 9:44 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

The Digital Age has created children that don't collect anything like we did when we were kids.  Video games are downloaded or streamed with no thought of having a hard copy.  

Somebody told me to collect old Apple iPhones because that's the only memories this current generation will have of their childhood.  :insane:

I have the first iPhone in the box with all the papers. I also have the first iPod in similar shape. I also have a Sony Walkman. I have no idea of their current worth or what they might bring in the future. Time will tell...

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Comics General usually consists of a bunch of rabid people with strong opinions talking past each other.

It's true, comic movies will eventually run their course, and....wait, what...?

****You Are Paying Attention to this User****

23 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

lol

Nostalgia isn't the reason for the (relative) resurgence of vinyl, which is still a tiny niche in an ever-shrinking music market.

I think a lot of “kids” look it as “retro” and cool. People have also realized the sound quality is vastly better than digital. I have sold a ton of old vinyl to kids at shows for pretty decent money. 

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I think a lot of “kids” look it as “retro” and cool. People have also realized the sound quality is vastly better than digital. I have sold a ton of old vinyl to kids at shows for pretty decent money. 

I've always thought  digital comics sucked.

23 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Technology doesn't really work that way. Nobody is spending big money on old VHS tapes and VCRs just because that's how they used to watch movies.

That doesn't mean that all obsolete tech is worthless, but the vast majority is.

Not yet., but I've read VCRs are becoming a good thrift shop buy as demand is slowly increasing. Never underestimate nostalgia. Every generation has it, only for different things. 

4 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

We haven't seen an increase in comic book sales as a result of the increased popularity of superhero films.  We've actually seen the opposite.  What this means (to me) is that the films aren't driving comic sales.

This is definitely true.  (thumbsu

What we have seen though is a short term speculative jump in prices on the first appearances of these characters heading towards the movie theatres or your TV screens.  Highly speculative and a dangerous minefield to be walking through as it requires you to be quite nimble as the prices are very volatile and tends to drop from their peaks rather quickly.  :eek:

Definitely not an area for me as I am terrible when it comes to trying to time the market, when I find it so much easier to buy vintage quality books and simply spend time in the market.  (thumbsu

As a mid 90's millennial, I love collecting comics because of my memories of the action figures, cartoons, and movies growing up.  I don't give two craps about reading comics to be honest.  I've only read less than 50 probably in my life and don't really enjoy it.  I just like the characters, the covers, and the nostalgia.  I know I'm just a single case, but I imagine there are a decent amount of others with a similar mindset out there.  I would speculate that it will be more from the current kids/teens as they grow up with all of the superhero movies recently and, hopefully, have more disposable income than the average person in my generation.  I think collecting is still a big thing for my age generation: magic cards, digital video game libraries, books, records, etc.  I see it a lot with people and friends.  I think lots of people are more limited in income in my age range, so they may not collect items from the more conventional and generally more expensive collector markets. I do see lots of major collecting of more conventional items/markets in those with higher incomes at my age.  I'm not saying there will be enough to replace all of the older collectors (I don't know about that myself), but I think there will still be a decent market for it in the years to come. Just my opinion at least. (shrug)

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA

16 minutes ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

As a mid 90's millennial, I love collecting comics because of my memories of the action figures, cartoons, and movies growing up.  I don't give two craps about reading comics to be honest.  I've only read less than 50 probably in my life and don't really enjoy it.  I just like the characters, the covers, and the nostalgia.  I know I'm just a single case, but I imagine there are a decent amount of others with a similar mindset out there.  I would speculate that it will be more from the current kids/teens as they grow up with all of the superhero movies recently and, hopefully, have more disposable income than the average person in my generation.  I think collecting is still a big thing for my age generation: magic cards, digital video game libraries, books, records, etc.  I see it a lot with people and friends.  I think lots of people are more limited in income in my age range, so they may not collect items from the more conventional and generally more expensive collector markets. I do see lots of major collecting of more conventional items/markets in those with higher incomes at my age.  I'm not saying there will be enough to replace all of the older collectors (I don't know about that myself), but I think there will still be a decent market for it in the years to come. Just my opinion at least. (shrug)

So you are comic guy (I assume) that goes to a comic grading message boards and even you have not read more then 50 comics in your whole life and don't really enjoy reading comics.  I've said it before but I don't begrudge you and your generation - i wouldn't have read a comic either if I had all the entertainment at my fingertips like you have had for your entire life.

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

So you are comic guy (I assume) that goes to a comic grading message boards and even you have not read more then 50 comics in your whole life and don't really enjoy reading comics.  I've said it before but I don't begrudge you and your generation - i wouldn't have read a comic either if I had all the entertainment at my fingertips like you have had for your entire life.

Yes, I am.  Seeing people's pickups here and auction houses are how I find books that interest me.  I generally don't post anything but a pick up now and then because I don't have much for comic book story knowledge to contribute.  I appreciate the cover art and the characters (from more of a nostalgia perspective) as opposed to the written stories. I prefer other forms of entertainment in my free time.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA