• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Purchase Decision - Daredevil #269
1 1

9 posts in this topic

So I've been offered a Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #269 for the equivalent to $25. As I'm just starting out I'd like to grow the collection a bit but I also don't want to really waste the money on something that won't grow in value, I do love the cover though which is pushing me towards a go for it but I also have that voice saying saying the money to put towards something else that may come down the line. I see there are only like 10 of these graded which kind of tells me it's not worth the money to grade :)

There are a few others to choose from also graded at 9.8 but none seem to be of any value either and the cover on this drew me to it.

dT9xx3L.jpg

If I were you; I would look at ebay completed sales and look at the prices they have sold for or invest in GPA so you can track the values there. As to what will grow in price your playing a dangerous game of Russian Roulette comrade... lol 

I highly doubt that that issue will ever increase in value. I collect Daredevil (just completed a #158 to #300 issue run), so I’m fairly attuned to the value of the high-numbered issues especially. Only the Typhoid Mary issues go for more than a couple bucks, even in higher grades, so spending $25 on that one, even graded at 9.8, would be a hard pass for me. 

You could probably flip it on eBay and make a few bucks on that $25, but if it’s an investment you’re after, keep your eyes peeled for something else to come along. 

Consider, a couple of months ago I bought a pair of G.I. Joe #1s for $50 total. One ended up getting graded at 9.8, and the other 9.6. So there are bargains of coveted books to be found out there. Just takes some patience.

Welcome to collecting comics!  My recommendation is to buy what you’re attracted to and excited about, raw, and forget about being worth a lot some day.  The biggest mistake I find among new collectors is that they’re worried about value to others and not paying attention to what’s valuable to them and why.  You should always be in a place where the entire comic market can collapse and you’re still glad you have your books.  2c

I'd try and find a raw copy.  As the others have said, it should be cheap.   If you want a graded copy, a 9.8 for $25 is about as good a deal as you'll find (I would think).  It costs more to have a book graded than $25 (once you factor in the shipping).  

On 8/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, IbukiLord said:

So I've been offered a Daredevil: The Man Without Fear #269 for the equivalent to $25. As I'm just starting out I'd like to grow the collection a bit but I also don't want to really waste the money on something that won't grow in value, I do love the cover though which is pushing me towards a go for it but I also have that voice saying saying the money to put towards something else that may come down the line. I see there are only like 10 of these graded which kind of tells me it's not worth the money to grade :)

There are a few others to choose from also graded at 9.8 but none seem to be of any value either and the cover on this drew me to it.

dT9xx3L.jpg

Dude, nice cover, nice grade.  If you're looking to build a 9.8/high grade run of Daredevil or if you love the cover this is a great book.  But there's a reason this is being offered for $25, nothing memorable happened in this issue and down the road when you want to sell it that won't have changed.

If you're looking to buy comics that will increase in value you need to start studying. 

Learn about classic covers like the ones in this pre-code horror thread

Learn about key books that feature first appearances so you'll understand why Fantastic Four #48 for example has jumped in price over the last year.  6.0 copies were selling for about $1100 in 2018 and currently go for about $1700.

Or if you're on a budget look for undervalued newer books

Welcome to collecting! Personally books fall into two categories. Books I want to keep and books I want to invest in. Before buying a book I consider do I really love this book? If so, price is not really an issue at that point. I just get what I can afford to have a book I love. If I want to invest then I start too look at sold prices and book content for speculation purposes. Is this a first appearance? Is there a movie tie-in? Do your research.

Now as you continue to buy books you are going to realize $25 is chump change! If you like it then what are you waiting for? Buy it! =D