• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: TOS 39

34 posts in this topic

This was THE mega find hidden in a collection I just bought.

The spine looks a little rough but it actually has only a 1/2" split and that split is slightly above the bottom staple where you can just make out a small stain below the word "who".

The staples look like they must be rusty but they really aren't (just the slightest hint of rust)

The rest of the cover looks great.  Page quality is good.  The cover & CF are snug at the staples.

I'm sending this in tomorrow.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

VG grade allows up to a 1" spline split, while VG/F allows up to 1/2" spine split. 

Major defects: a fair amount of spine, edge and corner wear, small areas of color loss on the right edge blue panel and the black word box, back cover multiple small stains and small tears.

CGC 4.0

I was thinking of the trim at the top but could be a weird cut.. I would say 4.0 are you going to dry clean it to help that back cover might bring it up a bit. it looks like it has 2 stains so don't know if that would hit it harder as it looks like theres another stain near the bottom staple FC 

@gadzukes nice books can't wait for your selling forum with these great finds might have to save some money in the next 3-4 months that CGC takes to get you your book back... lol 

6 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I was thinking of the trim at the top but could be a weird cut.. I would say 4.0 are you going to dry clean it to help that back cover might bring it up a bit. it looks like it has 2 stains so don't know if that would hit it harder as it looks like theres another stain near the bottom staple FC 

I'm pretty sure it's not trimmed.  I did some dry cleaning and it didn't do much to it.  The photo actually makes it look worse than it really is.

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I'm pretty sure it's not trimmed.  I did some dry cleaning and it didn't do much to it.  The photo actually makes it look worse than it really is.

yeah I think you need some white LED lights instead of the yellow Edison bulbs lol 

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

@gadzukes nice books can't wait for your selling forum with these great finds might have to save some money in the next 3-4 months that CGC takes to get you your book back... lol 

This book will come back fast.  We'll see about the rest.  I'm submitting 60 total comics, by far my largest submission ever.  I've decided to "fast track" almost the entire batch (I got such a great deal on these comics that I feel I can afford to spend extra on fast tracking them.  I had all 60 pressed too (which gets expensive).  I'm getting the custom IronMan label for this one too.

looks like some serious rust migration around those staples, that'll be a problem, particularly if that covers barely hangin' on.  i'm guessing 3.5  otherwise, looks pretty nice for what i'm assuming was a garage sale flea market swapmeet something where you were bargain hunting.  congrats, that is a sweet find!!

Edited by Slappy Jones

2 hours ago, Slappy Jones said:

looks like some serious rust migration around those staples, that'll be a problem, particularly if that covers barely hangin' on.  i'm guessing 3.5  otherwise, looks pretty nice for what i'm assuming was a garage sale flea market swapmeet something where you were bargain hunting.  congrats, that is a sweet find!!

There's no rust migration at all.  The cover is holding on strong.  I'm not sure what the browning edge on the spine is but on close examination it doesn't look like rust to me (the staples really have only the slightest hint of any oxidation).  Look at the 3rd pic on the inside cover where the staples are.  the paper is white.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

There's no rust migration at all.  The cover is holding on strong.  I'm not sure what the browning edge on the spine is but on close examination it doesn't look like rust to me (the staples really have only the slightest hint of any oxidation).  Look at the 3rd pic on the inside cover where the staples are.  the paper is white.

even better, then this could easily pull a 4.0!  nice score!!