• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: TOS 39

34 posts in this topic

5.0 was my first best guess before seeing others come in just below that. The D.W. COOK stamp is confusing to me as I have seen that stamp before in sales threads on the boards before. I assumed that was some ones name, but maybe a store stamp? I read your thread about this collection and it seems like your seller had this book for a long time(fathers collection). Any color on D.W. COOK?  Congrats on the mega buy!

8 hours ago, Wipple said:

5.0 was my first best guess before seeing others come in just below that. The D.W. COOK stamp is confusing to me as I have seen that stamp before in sales threads on the boards before. I assumed that was some ones name, but maybe a store stamp? I read your thread about this collection and it seems like your seller had this book for a long time(fathers collection). Any color on D.W. COOK?  Congrats on the mega buy!

The sellers dad was D W Cook and he proudly stamped 80% of his collection with the stamp.  It appears around 1969 or so he realized he probably shouldn't be stamping the comics because that's when the stamps trail off.  It's a big collection.  To me it's almost like a minor pedigree because he had all the big marvel Key issues.  I still have the Hulk 1, Avengers 1, Xmen 1 with the stamp on the back and now I have the TOS39.  Somewhere out there are all the other Key issues in someone's collection.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

The sellers dad was D W Cook and he proudly stamped 80% of his collection with the stamp.  It appears around 1969 or so he realized he probably shouldn't be stamping the comics because that's when the stamps trail off.  It's a big collection.  To me it's almost like a minor pedigree because he had all the big marvel Key issues.  I still have the Hulk 1, Avengers 1, Xmen 1 with the stamp on the back and now I have the TOS39.  Somewhere out there are all the other Key issues in someone's collection.

Thanks for the info. I kinda remember a sales thread with many cook stamps a few years ago. Possibly you were the seller. Enjoy those books and the memory of the one that didn’t get away. 

17 minutes ago, Wipple said:

Thanks for the info. I kinda remember a sales thread with many cook stamps a few years ago. Possibly you were the seller. Enjoy those books and the memory of the one that didn’t get away. 

Yes, I was selling these many years ago.  The son sold me a bunch of these (frustratingly, a little at a time) but then he disappeared before I could buy even a fraction of the collection.  He called me again recently (after about 9 years) and started selling to me again (24 long boxes).  This TOS 39 is one of the ones I just got.

The book is coming back to me now.  

It got a 4.0 with OW pages :headbang:

4.0 is what I guessed and 6 of you guessed.

One of you guessed 3.0, one of you guessed 3.5, two of you guessed 4.5, and one of you guessed 5.0.

The majority nailed the grade.

Edited by gadzukes

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

It got a 4.0 :headbang:

One of you guessed 3.0, one of you guessed 3.5, two of you guessed 4.5, and one of you guessed 5.0.

Son of a :censored:.

:pullhair:

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Congrats!! I’d say 6.0.

Update! Wow 4.0! Seems harsh from the images.

Definitely not a 6.0.  But it's a great looking 4.0.  I think it got hammered for the spine.  I was thinking 4.0-4.5 myself looking at it in hand so I'm not disappointed.

Graders notes = "moderate wear spine breaks color. multiple stain cover"

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

It got a 4.0 with OW pages :headbang:

Nailed it 🤗