• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PayPal dispute question: seller trying to return after 90 days
1 1

56 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, rjpb said:

I can see why one might have a no return policy with items like jewelry or clothing, but best just take comics back no questions asked. In my experience it's a rare request. Of the hundreds of comics and lots I've sold on ebay , I've had two returns, once because the buyer disagreed with my average grade for a low grade group lot (they felt the books were more of a GD+ than G/VG on average :eyeroll:), and once the listed reason was "decided I didn't want it" - about a month after purchasing. Small aggravations in the scheme of things. 

I absolutely will not take anything back when someone says, "decided I didn't want it."  That's straight up buyer's remorse which is not covered by eBay returns.   It's not my problem that the buyer's wife is going to kill them and is threatening divorce.  They are getting divorced months from now over something else.   We frown upon board behavior like that so I will fight it to discourage the buyer from doing that again.  Here is the thing... if this makes me a bad guy and there are some here that say, I don't want to deal with Buzzetta because he won't take something back if I say I no longer want something then I am PERFECTLY fine with that.  I don't want to deal with buyers like that. 

Before I started saving eBay notifications and emails (Prior to 2008-9) from problem bidders and buyers there was a guy who bought CGC books from me.  I remember shipping the books to an address that turned out to be a comic book store in Florida.  (If you turn out to be a problem buyer I start looking into you.)  He kept the books for a bit and then wanted to return them.  I refused it.  If I recall correctly I think I remember this as the guy who had listed them on eBay after he bought them from me.  I am not your merchandise supplier that you get to return to if you cannot flip your items for more than you bought them for or if a customer backed out of the deal. 

The only time I ever let it go was when a got a note that I felt was sincere from a father.  He said he gave his kid permission to buy a funko pop on eBay and did not realize his son spent $450 on a listed set of NYCC exclusives. He offered to pay listing fees and said ultimately that if I held him to it they would buy it.  I asked him to initiate a cancellation request and granted it.  I knew they would sell anyway and they did.  Guy wrote me a thank you message saying that now his son would only be working two weeks at the family restaurant and not ten or something like that if the son had to pay them off. lol 

As to the hedging verbiage I used:

My original post here describing the listing, based on memory, was not correct. I was not emphatic in the description, saying it “ was” color touched and married. I was also just paraphrasing. 

Does a line of red marker over a black area always count as color touch, if it obviously does not attempt to match the color it’s on top of? I am not sure that CGG consistently treats that type of thing as restoration.  

Do you guys have your own personal, 100% surefire way of detecting married pages? The national dealer I bought the book from made no notation of it being married. Should I out them here? (No, I won’t).

Whether or not you agree with my “potential” and “possible” descriptions, any buyer feeling confident the book would be unrestored based on the description is delusional. I did not say it was unrestored, and definitely described the reasons I thought it might be restored and qualified ( and if a long-time collector, as the buyer was, does not know that color touch is restoration, then they should quit the hobby) Before it was sent to CGC the buyer could have/ should have made their own assessment. 

I typically always take returns no questions asked. It’s only because I knew the description I wrote in this case, and the buyer’s insistence I never mentioned any restoration, that I considered any differently. 

Edited by SuperBird

43 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

As to the hedging verbiage I used:

My original post here describing the listing, based on memory, was not correct. I was not emphatic in the description, saying it “ was” color touched and married. I was also just paraphrasing. 

Does a line of red marker over a black area always count as color touch, if it obviously does not attempt to match the color it’s on top of? I am not sure that CGG consistently treats that type of thing as restoration.  

Do you guys have your own personal, 100% surefire way of detecting married pages? The national dealer I bought the book from made no notation of it being married. Should I out them here? (No, I won’t).

Whether or not you agree with my “potential” and “possible” descriptions, any buyer feeling confident the book would be unrestored based on the description is delusional. I did not say it was unrestored, and definitely described the reasons I thought it might be restored and qualified ( and if a long-time collector, as the buyer was, does not know that color touch is restoration, then they should quit the hobby) Before it was sent to CGC the buyer could have/ should have made their own assessment. 

I typically always take returns no questions asked. It’s only because I knew the description I wrote in this case, and the buyer’s insistence I never mentioned any restoration, that I considered any differently. 

I bought a book from Metropolis and they did not detect that the CF was married. They noted it as being Color Touched but did not note the married page.   I kept the book. 

Not that it’s relevant to anything, but I once bought a raw book from Metro where I thought it was married. They didn’t note it. I later sold it to a boardie, telling him it might be married. ( exact same verbiage I used in my eBay listing) They got the book, agreed, kept it. No issues. 

Normally I think a buyer might have bought my listing hoping I was wrong about the CT and CF, and looking to get a good deal. In this case I don’t think so, because of the condition and value. I just don’t think he read the description.

Thanks to BruceParker's sleuthing, I was able to show the buyer the original description, to which he replied:

"Wow you’re absolutely right I don’t know how I missed that. Probably got so excited a copy popped up and just didn’t read properly. I guess it’s my fault then lol. Under normal circumstances I never would have bought the book if I knew it was possibly restored especially at that price but I guess this mistakes on me lol"

I'm accepting the return of the book.

7 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Thanks to BruceParker's sleuthing, I was able to show the buyer the original description, to which he replied:

"Wow you’re absolutely right I don’t know how I missed that. Probably got so excited a copy popped up and just didn’t read properly. I guess it’s my fault then lol. Under normal circumstances I never would have bought the book if I knew it was possibly restored especially at that price but I guess this mistakes on me lol"

good on ya'!

That is how it should be. People treat other with respect and accept appropriate responsibility and things work out. Get nasty and you get nasty back!

All I have to add to this is reading is fundamental and especially important when buying something.

I have been collecting for over 35 years and if I were to have read your description of the book, I would have assumed there was some level of restoration done to it and I would have either bypassed it or bid accordingly as if it were a restored book.

Sucks you had to take the return but great that a fellow boardie is interested in it.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, SuperBird said:

Assuming good faith here, my guess is that the buyer viewed and bid on the book from his phone. Ebay's phone interface only gives you the first line or two of the item description, and you need to notice that the description is incomplete and click through to read the rest, which IMO is quite problematic. I would guess many disputes have started this way.

Glad to hear you guys are working it out!

3 hours ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

IF you sell a book and they get it graded, you do not have to accept the return as the book has now been tampered with.

With that said, I would still take the return.

Pat

That's right. You are not getting the item returned as it was sent unless the buyer deslabbed it. hm

6 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

Apparently CGC decided it has CT, but no married pages. Go figure. 

s-l1600.jpg

I’ve been following the story about your book. The book is awesome but good grief!  They couldn’t have fit it in a normal slab?!