• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature series indie keys...good investment?

13 posts in this topic

I was thinking that indie key issues signed by the creators can be a good under the radar investment in many cases such as Stabbity Bunny 1, East of West c2e2 variant, etc. Thoughts? What are some examples of indie keys that would be good investments and an even better investment if signed?

Are there even any Big2 Sig Series books that are a good investment?  Creators by and large sign so many books these days that there's hardly any value in it.  I think signed books go into a personal collection because you like the creator or the book has meaning to you.  Blue label for investment purposes.

CGC SS = very fun for your own personal collection

but if you have to ask, you're not in a position to invest in them. (note that I am also not in a position to invest in them)

16 hours ago, Jradical said:

I was thinking that indie key issues signed by the creators can be a good under the radar investment in many cases such as Stabbity Bunny 1, East of West c2e2 variant, etc. Thoughts? What are some examples of indie keys that would be good investments and an even better investment if signed?

Comics in general are less an investment than they are speculation. 

The only way to be consistently successful is to have low basis books (i.e. an inventory of books bought long ago) and access to economically advantageous signing opportunities (i.e you can get a lot of them done yourself at cons or trade them out with other like minded collectors, and you are not paying robust signing fees).  That is the old school market I cut my teeth in back in 2007.  Conversely, in the current market, so much of the opportunity for profit is being gobbled up by price of the book, creator/celeb costs, facilitator costs and slabbing costs that there is very little margin at all.  You had better be doing it for the love of the game, or you are better off investing in tulip bulbs.

I’m not sure about “investments”. Comic books in general are volatile and sig series aren’t any different, if you’re just looking to invest money there are safer things to invest in than Comic Books. But there is money to be made if you’re willing to risk it and have the time and patience to go thru collecting sigs and waiting for CGC to grade your book. Best thing to do is to look at past sales and evaluate yourself. Let’s look at a book you just mentioned East of West and we will take the main cover A, no variant: In the past 10 days a 9.8 blue label sold for $49.99 free shipping and also a 9.8 yellow label double signed sold for 249.95 free shipping. So, the yellow label sold for $200 more. Even after creator signing fees, and slabbing fees you’re still making money on an immediate flip. 

Long-term holds are more risky but still offer some big value if you’re lucky. I bought an Invincible #1 back in 2011 for $51.05 raw, and at that time Kirkman didn’t charge for sigs, came back yellow label 9.6 so I was all in for under $100. A 9.8 yellow label just sold for $1300 while a 9.8 blue label sold recently for $830. 

These things don’t always work out though, you very well could lose money... I have a Walking Dead #19 that I have 4x signed and have invested more into than it would sell for. But that’s also why I never get books signed and slabbed for purely selling them, they’re all books I want to keep in my PC.

Edited by wiparker824

1 hour ago, speedcake said:

Oh yes! Definitely. If I were you, I'd probably sell almost all my other comics and just invest in signed independent key issues. You can't go wrong, IMO. Just look for any announcements of upcoming shows or movies, then go and get those books. Slam dunk, to be honest.

37uzau.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

I knock about 20% off my willing-to-pay price if a book is signed. Nothing beats fresh out of the box newsstand or direct copies in high grade. I get books signed for myself occasionally, but wouldn't sell them. It's kinda like selling a picture of you with a celebrity. It means something to you but isn't the same to someone else.