• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling on eBay High Value Books - Bid vs Buy It Now
1 1

26 posts in this topic

One thing to keep in mind is what's reported to the IRS by paypal. I don't sell enough to worry about it but I believe at $20k and 200 separate payments for the year they send out a 1099-k.  Which I'm guessing is part of the reason some of the sellers here ask for cash or check only (besides the hit in fees).

Edited by HighRadArt

16 minutes ago, HighRadArt said:

One thing to keep in mind is what's reported to the IRS by paypal. I don't sell enough to worry about it but I believe at $20k and 200 separate payments for the year they send out a 1099-k.  Which I'm guessing is part of the reason some of the sellers here ask for cash or check only (besides the hit in fees).

1-How in the world would I get the cash? unless they live in NYC where I am.

2-And check I would only take it if I can deposit it and wait until it clears. You mean to tell me buyers will do that?

1 hour ago, cigars&comix said:

2-And check I would only take it if I can deposit it and wait until it clears. You mean to tell me buyers will do that?

I've seen sellers ask for cash, check or money order. Probably not many sending cash unless they've done business with the seller. And yes, the seller usually states checks must clear before the book is shipped.

2 hours ago, cigars&comix said:

Most people just pay via friends and family if they want to go the cash option.  It’s against the message board rules to specify in your sales thread that you accept friends and family but people use it anyway if they know each other.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Most people just pay via friends and family if they want to go the cash option.  It’s against the message board rules to specify in your sales thread that you accept friends and family but people use it anyway if they know each other.

I had my fist successful Zelle transaction this month with a fellow boardie. No fees!