• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heating Up (Market Value)
1 1

40 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

I agree.  I don't, for example that Spider-Man pages have gone up in value because of the films.  Two totally different audiences.

I think Ultimate Spider-Man, Miles Morales Art may start climbing (if it has not already), though.

9 hours ago, vodou said:

That's certainly the headline some people want seen lol

Meanwhile, I'll correct it to "an oil" (singular not plural) and a reasonably defensible and appropriate asterix applied to any number greater than the actual and single $4.5m bid.

Quite right. Upon reading my own post, my intended sarcasm didn't quite land as I'd hoped. lol

10 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This is not true, actually. I know because I've been tracking these types of pages. Walking Dead and Preacher aside, you get a short term speculative bump, and that's pretty much it. And I'm not sure how much the appreciation (such as it was) of Preacher Art was TV show related vs it just being right in the demographic sweet spot for collectors.

Actually, it is very much a true thing, and there are numerous examples that reflect increased OA prices.  Here’s just a few:

1, Dr Strange

2. Ant Man

3. Guardians of the Galaxy (down from peak prices)

4. Justice League (down from peak pricing)

5. Ms Marvel 

6. Miles Morales (Spiderman), and the loveable Spiderham 

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Actually, it is very much a true thing, and there are numerous examples that reflect increased OA prices.  Here’s just a few:

1, Dr Strange

2. Ant Man

3. Guardians of the Galaxy (down from peak prices)

4. Justice League (down from peak pricing)

5. Ms Marvel 

6. Miles Morales (Spiderman), and the loveable Spiderham 

Those are within the exceptions I outlined. A) They Are part of the MCU, or the DCCU. B) Those are generic price increases for the character across the board, not specific storylines. The one that maybe fits is Miles Morales pages. 

Im not really talking about Big Two stuff for the most part, except for maybe Thanos & Miles Morales. Even the Guardians still isn’t that valuable. And, as I pointed out, they get a short term bump. Which you acknowledged has ended for the properties you listed. 

21 hours ago, grapeape said:

I asked a Donelly about this and he said everything has appreciated in value. I asked for specifics and he said inquire. When I asked if there was anything they owned that had depreciated he said, let me ask my brother.

that right there is message board gold lol

On 8/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, tth2 said:

I've heard Sal Buscema is now a top 5 artist, so I expect the value of his pages will be soaring. 

Completely false, scientifically been proven to be the Mendoza line of artists. See if you can trade his pages for Don Perlins...if you are lucky...

10 hours ago, zhamlau said:

See if you can trade his pages for Don Perlins

:eyeroll:

:insane:

:baiting:

:devil:

You'll probably turn out right in the end. Sal's time has come, no matter what anybody over the age of 45 thinks to the contrary!

15 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

It’s PERLINTIME BABY!

Oof. That 15 minutes has already come and gone ;) , I'm only conceding on Sal B!

But then...that Bloodshot #2 cover that recently sold through CLink...is that a Perlin or a Bloodshot crazy number?

1 minute ago, vodou said:

Oof. That 15 minutes has already come and gone ;) , I'm only conceding on Sal B!

But then...that Bloodshot #2 cover that recently sold through CLink...is that a Perlin or a Bloodshot crazy number?

It’s Bloodshot I think. Perlin just isn’t one of the guys people like. He just never had a run outside ghost rider that got him fans. I honestly remember him more for valiant than Marvel, but im also under 45.

1 minute ago, zhamlau said:

He just never had a run outside ghost rider that got him fans.

I think it's probably WWB that most 45+ connect with. Not me. I've never found anything of his I enjoy enough to buy in comic form never mind OA, even Bloodshot lol which he phoned in and gosh, compared to Lapham, Layton, BWS, and the other early solid work at Valiant...pedestrian is the most complimentary word I can come up with.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:28 AM, batman_fan said:

that right there is message board gold lol

Hey maybe inquire isn’t so bad. I see we have a million dollar price on a Buscema  eBay auction this morning.

I don’t know which is worse ha ha. As our boy Charlie would say “good grief.”

1 minute ago, grapeape said:

Hey maybe inquire isn’t so bad. I see we have a million dollar price on a Buscema  eBay auction this morning.

I don’t know which is worse ha ha. As our boy Charlie would say “good grief.”

I though the conclusion was it is overpriced since it is John and not Sal.

10 hours ago, vodou said:

Bloodshot movie with Vin Diesel coming out next year. :gossip: 

On 8/11/2019 at 6:44 AM, zhamlau said:

It’s Bloodshot I think. Perlin just isn’t one of the guys people like. He just never had a run outside ghost rider that got him fans. I honestly remember him more for valiant than Marvel, but im also under 45.

Couldn't forgive Perlin for not being Ploog on Ghost Rider.  Still to this day I can't look at that stuff, even though it is technically competent.

10 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Couldn't forgive Perlin for not being Ploog on Ghost Rider.  Still to this day I can't look at that stuff, even though it is technically competent.

Agreed, yet I’d still love some prime valiant stuff...nostalgia I guess

I explained the Sal Buscemasance a while ago. His 70’s to mid 80’s stuff was classic Marvel house style at the time. And he had some really nice runs on books like the Defenders, Hulk, Rom, Captain America and Spectacular Spider-Man. He also had the New Mutants for a while. He was the comic artist equivalent of the 32-year-old outfielder who regularly hits .275, 18 hone runs and 80 rbi - and plays a solid right field. The guy every team likes, but is constantly trying to replace with a hot young prospect. He just did the job at a solid professional level of quality, and did it on deadline. 

I think people just appreciate the classic look of a 70’s to mid-80’s Buscema page (not a fan of his Image style era 90’s stuff). It’s not esoteric, or transcendent. It’s just representative of a great era in Marvel comics that collectors look back upon with fondness. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I explained the Sal Buscemasance a while ago. His 70’s to mid 80’s stuff was classic Marvel house style at the time. And he had some really nice runs on books like the Defenders, Hulk, Rom, Captain America and Spectacular Spider-Man. He also had the New Mutants for a while. He was the comic artist equivalent of the 32-year-old outfielder who regularly hits .275, 18 hone runs and 80 rbi - and plays a solid right field. The guy every team likes, but is constantly trying to replace with a hot young prospect. He just did the job at a solid professional level of quality, and did it on deadline. 

I think people just appreciate the classic look of a 70’s to mid-80’s Buscema page (not a fan of his Image style era 90’s stuff). It’s not esoteric, or transcendent. It’s just representative of a great era in Marvel comics that collectors look back upon with fondness. 

Amen to that.

And don’t get me started on Perlin. He and Trimpe totally ruined  my favourite team: the Defenders stories after Buscema and Giffen were not so bad, but the art....I just can’t look at it.

Carlo