• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Amazing Fantasy #15 (3.5 ow/w), FF #5 (3.0), United Comics #21, Top Notch Comics #22 (1st Archie!) Original Owner Books for Sale
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Listing a few Marvels from a recent original owner purchase I made earlier this summer.  The Amazing Fantasy #15 is one that I listed on here before/sold and had a done deal, only to have the deal later fall apart. There were a few people who were close to buying it before, so if you are still interested, please do reach out again.

Terms:

I’d prefer to stick with U.S. customers only, but on (the non-AF 15 books), if you are in Canada and are interested, just pm me and I will try to work with you.  

Payment via cashier's check or bank wire.  USPS Priority Mail Express (overnight shipping) with insurance and signature confirmation is included. Time payments are available, but I'd like some sort of payment upfront. If you are interested, just send me a PM -- I'm easy to work with.
Usual rules. No returns on CGC graded books. First “I’ll take it” in the thread gets it. Any questions, please let me know.
Kudos thread is posted on the boards, and I sell on eBay under the name "blissard" (100% positive, with over 25,000 feedback).
Thanks!
-Adam

Edited by Action252Kid

1. Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 3.5 OW/W PRICE: $20,500 $19,750 now
I bought this book recently from the original owner’s son.  Attached are a few raw pics of the book from before I bought it (you can see how nice the page quality is from the couple of interior shots).  I was honestly expecting this one to grade slightly higher, but CGC was tough on the Marvel chipping.  I sold a CGC 4.0 ow/w copy of this book in the last big Comic Link auction for $31,250 – that one didn’t have Marvel chipping but had more general wear to it (with just a slightly higher grade).  I’m pricing this one to sell.  Price: $20,500. $19,750 now
(A note about GPA on this book/grade.  There appears to be a huge gap between the 3.5/4.0 prices, but nearly no gap between 3.0/3.5 (see GPA).  I believe this is due to the fact that the last three 3.5 sales haven’t been the strongest copies: one was very badly faded, one had color touch scraped off along the spine, and one was cr/ow with chipping.  I think the true value of the typical 3.5 copy would be somewhere closer to the middle between the 3.0 & 4.0 prices (rather than closer to 3.0, like GPA shows right now).  
Grader Notes:
light, multiple water stain cover
marvel chipping 1/2 edge full right of front cover
multiple crease front cover breaks color

1a.JPG

1b.JPG

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

Edited by Action252Kid

3. Fantastic Four #5 CGC 3.0 Price: $3,250 $3,100 now

Nice-looking copy of another hot book; from an original owner collection, just back from CGC.  GPA is a little out of whack on this one (the last 2.5 went for $3,295; the last 3.5 went for $4,300 - yet the last 3.0 was only $2,640 (because it had tape)).  Pricing this one a bit below where I think it would sell at auction.

IMG_9919.JPG

IMG_9920.JPG

Edited by Action252Kid

4. Incredible Hulk #1 CGC .5 (Centerfold missing, affects story. Incomplete) Price: $3,500 (sold)

Difficult book to price; not much sales data history on centerfold-less Hulk 1's, but GPA shows that an incomplete .5 sold for $3,750 last year and $3,050 the year before that.  This one would clearly grade much higher than .5 if not for the missing pages.  Coverless copies routinely bring over $1,000, so I think that I've got this one priced about right.  Buying a coverless copy and marrying the centerfold to this copy should pretty easily double its value, so I do not expect this one to last long.

IMG_9921.JPG

IMG_9922.JPG

Edited by Action252Kid

5. United Comics #21 (1st App. Peanuts) CGC 6.0 OWW PRICE: $5,000 $4,500 now

Trails just one 7.0 & one 6.5 at the top of the CGC census.  Tied for first appearance of the Peanuts in comics.  The 7.0 copy sold for $7,768 two years ago and a trimmed 6.0 sold for $2,629 last year.  I think the 7.0 would likely sell for more if auctioned off today, and a friend owns the 6.5/won’t sell it, so this is likely the best copy you’ll find for some time.  PRICE: $5,000 $4,500 now

Grader Notes:
light, multiple staple rusted
small tear right center of front cover
small, multiple crease front cover breaks color
wear spine breaks color

5a.JPG

5b.JPG

Edited by Action252Kid

1 hour ago, Action252Kid said:

6. Top-Notch Comics #22 CGC Graded 3.0 Price: $5,000

"First appearance of Archie in comics!"  This book pre-dates Pep Comics #22 by a few days and features a full-page ad which talks about the newest MLJ feature, Archie & his pals, coming up in the next issue of Pep Comics.  I've attached a sample image of that page.  CGC has graded a grand total of four copies in their history: a 9.4 (which just sold in Heritage for $38,400), a 9.0 (which I believe is owned by a boardie), a 3.5 (which did have tape, and sold for $4,080 last year at auction and is likely not for sale), and this 3.0 copy offered here.  A truly rare book, and a must-have for any Archie fan!

14b.jpg

14d.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 8.24.42 PM.png

Hi, I'm just wondering if you submitted this or bought it already slabbed.  If you submitted it, did you ask them to put a label note about the Archie ad?  I really wish CGC would put a label note on this issue.  It's a pretty important comic in Archie lore.

Great comic by the way, GLWTS

Edited by gadzukes

23 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Hi, I'm just wondering if you submitted this or bought it already slabbed.  If you submitted it, did you ask them to put a label note about the Archie ad?  I really wish CGC would put a label note on this issue.  It's a pretty important comic in Archie lore.

Great comic by the way, GLWTS

I submitted this one myself, but it was a year or two back.  I knew what it was when submitting the book, but it was before either of the two big public sales, so I don't think it was on CGC's radar yet.  I think this is one that they might not get around to updating for a while, since there aren't that many copies getting sent in for grading.  It took a while for Tip Top 173/United 21 to get the label notation, and those are seen far more often than the Top Notch.

10 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

I submitted this one myself, but it was a year or two back.  I knew what it was when submitting the book, but it was before either of the two big public sales, so I don't think it was on CGC's radar yet.  I think this is one that they might not get around to updating for a while, since there aren't that many copies getting sent in for grading.  It took a while for Tip Top 173/United 21 to get the label notation, and those are seen far more often than the Top Notch.

I've got a raw copy myself but don't want to send it in until I know it'll get the label notation. 

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

I've got a raw copy myself but don't want to send it in until I know it'll get the label notation. 

I was kind of thinking that I'd find another raw copy by now/submit it and see if it got the label notation.. but it ended up being harder to find another copy than I had anticipated! lol

Ok, going to close this one down.  The AF15 is still available for the time being (likely going to consign that one somewhere in the near future, but I'd prefer to make a deal on here - so pm me if interested); sold a few of the others, and the remainder is likely going to be up on eBay in the near future.  Thanks again to everyone who helped out (thumbsu