• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Love that one. If I had had any inkling that Hans would have come down to the level where he sold it, I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat myself. It looks amazeboats in person. 

Are we able to publicly state the number it sold for? (Because I don't know it.) Jealous you've seen it in person. It's not just great art but specifically personal to me re: a family member that...well, long personal story I won't get into but I'd probably rearrange a lot of my life if it became available again for something rational.

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

striking, well composed

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

it was just such an imposing image of Skull and such a large piece of art that it's just so impressive in person

Agreed. It does have those things going for it. But villian-centric covers are always a tricky animal to price.

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

small principal character(s), being out of costume, back(s) turned, sparse backgrounds, lack of action, etc. can all be potential downgrades to a piece

A laundry list that should be pinned in the newbie thread and which everyone -- vets and newbs alike -- should review before a big purchase.

17 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

make the assumption that it's worth only 30% of the 109

Let's also not assume this is a linear curve when talking A++ like the 109 image. So 30% (80-90K!!!) is still a big chunk of cash for a Red Skull cover. (And yeah, lack of background on the 109 cover is strike against that too. Imagine if it was a complete piece with a full background!)

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

Of the early non-100 Cap covers, this is probably my favorite, even being stiff in the posing

Full background, multiple characters, lots of Kirby-esque details. For sure.

15 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

the means and motivation of the buyer

Yup, the demographics will weigh heavily here whereas a potential 109 buyer is a wider pool.

19 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I smell a good poll... Valuations aside, someone more knowledgeable than me should make a poll of the best (aesthetically) published Kirby Cap images -- covers, splashes.

It's an easier job to come up with the worst Kirby Cap images, as he seems to have hit more home runs with Cap images than any other characters.  It was personal for him, and it shows. That said, to me what makes the 1970s Cap covers less compelling is not how Kirby's art had evolved by then but how he drew Cap's face.  In the '60s, Cap had a personality and in the '70s he was a corporate logo.  Kirby had divorced himself a little when it came to the simple drawing of eyes, nose and mouth. It's subtle but it's really striking. YMMV.

Of the surviving silver age covers, it's like grading John Coltrane albums. A B+ for Coltrane is anyone else's lifetime achievement. And a lot of opinion factors in -- like I'm not a fan of the 101 but other people are. The only Kirby Cap covers that aren't great are the ones that got murdered in production -- 105 and 126.  I happen to dig the 104 but a lot of folks complain about the lack of background, which I understand.  Beyond that, every cover is pretty golden.  Someone more patient can get into the existing splashes, but off the top of my head, same story.

Edited by glendgold

10 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I smell a good poll... Valuations aside, someone more knowledgeable than me should make a poll of the best (aesthetically) published Kirby Cap images -- covers, splashes.

I like Cap, and I like Kirby, and yet I don't really like most of his Cap covers.

My favorite Kirby Cap cover is actually DD 43.

Just now, tth2 said:

I like Cap, and I like Kirby, and yet I don't really like most of his Cap covers.

My favorite Kirby Cap cover is actually DD 43.

I though that was one of the best DD stories.  I remember 1st reading it in one of the Marvel treasury books

Not sure if anyone posted this but......cap 109 cover was LARGE ART! I sold it to the HA consignor..... same person  who put the asm 100 Cover in auction I sold him as well. He told me his kids college tuitions are all paid off now...LOL

Edited by romitaman

5 hours ago, romitaman said:

Not sure if anyone posted this but......cap 109 cover was LARGE ART! I sold it to the HA consignor..... same person  who put the asm 100 Cover in auction I sold him as well. He told me his kids college tuitions are all paid off now...LOL

Heritage messed up then....they listed it as 10"X15" image on an 11"x17" board

25 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Heritage messed up then....they listed it as 10"X15" image on an 11"x17" board

Interesting. I was going to say I didn't remember it being twice up, but looked in the Masters of American Comics catalogue, and sure enough, the paper it's on is described as 21 X 14. 

Just now, glendgold said:

Interesting. I was going to say I didn't remember it being twice up, but looked in the Masters of American Comics catalogue, and sure enough, the paper it's on is described as 21 X 14. 

I wonder if that impacted the bidding. 

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I wonder if that impacted the bidding. 

What's weirder is that HA is very specific about it: 'A powerful cover image, it was created in ink over graphite on the 11.5" x 17" Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15". Cap measures 12" tall.' 

So it's not like they slept through describing it. Huh. 

47 minutes ago, glendgold said:

What's weirder is that HA is very specific about it: 'A powerful cover image, it was created in ink over graphite on the 11.5" x 17" Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15". Cap measures 12" tall.' 

So it's not like they slept through describing it. Huh. 

I don’t want to drag this into the weeds but this sounds like negligence at best. I would be pissed 😤 if I was the consignor.

Also up is the only golden age Catwoman page I can recall seeing (to be fair, I haven't paid close attention). And it's a good one.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bob-kane-and-charles-paris-detective-comics-122-story-page-4-batman-and-robin-original-art/p/7212-67008.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

kane paris catwoman.jpg

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

Also up is the only golden age Catwoman page I can recall seeing (to be fair, I haven't paid close attention). And it's a good one.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/bob-kane-and-charles-paris-detective-comics-122-story-page-4-batman-and-robin-original-art/p/7212-67008.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

kane paris catwoman.jpg

Round 2 for this piece. Sold on ComicConnect not that long ago. Just checked. Hammered at $19,200

I should mention it is a pretty spectacular piece.  I really like it but having a champagne taste on a generic beer budget prevented me from pursuing it.  :sorry:

Edited by batman_fan

On 8/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, grapeape said:

Will the final bid meet or exceed the post it note price? 

IMG_1390.jpg.f22bc9c0d5a18462ff0cd812b935cff5.jpg

HA just posted the scan on the auction site.  My perspective, it looks spectacular.  I am not going to guess a price because it would be purely a WAG on my parts but I think it would be a cornerstone piece for a lot of peoples collection.

On 8/11/2019 at 1:03 PM, glendgold said:

The only Kirby Cap covers that aren't great are the ones that got murdered in production -- 105 and 126.

I really cannot disagree. But even when I picked up my pencils version of Cap 105, the better Cap covers were way out of my price range. Still even though I would not claim Cap 105 to be one of the best Kirby Caps it still has a cherished place in my collection.

Cap105.jpg

12 hours ago, hmendryk said:

I really cannot disagree. But even when I picked up my pencils version of Cap 105, the better Cap covers were way out of my price range. Still even though I would not claim Cap 105 to be one of the best Kirby Caps it still has a cherished place in my collection.

Cap105.jpg

Oh, yeah - even though it (as they used to say about Princess Fergie) "has a past," it's so dynamic and cool I'd be proud to own this too.

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

HA just posted the scan on the auction site.  My perspective, it looks spectacular.  I am not going to guess a price because it would be purely a WAG on my parts but I think it would be a cornerstone piece for a lot of peoples collection.

20 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Personally I would rather have the half splash to FF 59 hanging on my wall, probably at a fraction of the price. But then again I love Sal Buscema....

19 minutes ago, Carlo M said:

Personally I would rather have the half splash to FF 59 hanging on my wall, probably at a fraction of the price. But then again I love Sal Buscema....

The 59 a Kirby peak period masterpiece so as Kirby my number one guy it’s the 59. They are both great and ideally I’d like them both. I’m not greedy just a dreamer.