• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Mephisto said:

The same can’t be said of Green Lantern (or Green Arrow for that matter...sorry WB) I read the Green Lantern Adams stuff probably 15-20 years ago and they didn’t age particularly well back then. The hyperdermic needle is about the only memorable thing from that storyline for me.

Yeah, for me, I'd take GL #85 over GL #76 all day long. 

"My Ward Is A Junkie!" :whatthe: 

28 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, for me, I'd take GL #85 over GL #76 all day long. 

"My Ward Is A Junkie!" :whatthe: 

76 was always the most important /best of those books by a mile and it wasn't close, IMHO.   

Art is a different convo of course because the contents matter less (especially in this day and age) but I couldn't take 85 over 76 if it were half price.  2c

Edited by Bronty

25 minutes ago, Bronty said:

76 was always the most important /best of those books by a mile and it wasn't close, IMHO.   

Art is a different convo of course because the contents matter less (especially in this day and age) but I couldn't take 85 over 76 if it were half price.  2c

You're right.

Art is a different conversation. :sumo: 

11 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

You're right.

Art is a different conversation. :sumo: 

Yeah but you tend to just judge things by their price tag and then reverse engineer their merit :baiting: so I'll trust my own judgement 

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yeah but you tend to just judge things by their price tag and then reverse engineer their merit :baiting: so I'll trust my own judgement 

If that were true, I'd be singing the praises of Magic: The Gathering art. :screwy:  I mean, that's an utterly ludicrous claim to make, considering how many high-dollar auctions I've publicly :censored: all over.  It's only because I determine the merits of the art first and foremost that I have any opinion on the prices when they are realized. :makepoint: 

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If that were true, I'd be singing the praises of Magic: The Gathering art. :screwy:  I mean, that's an utterly ludicrous claim to make, considering how many high-dollar auctions I've publicly :censored: all over.  It's only because I determine the merits of the art first and foremost that I have any opinion on the prices when they are realized. :makepoint: 

I knew that would pizz you off :baiting:  lol but I'm not going to let crepe like this fly (I mean seriously, are you touching yourself while writing that, writing the description on Heritage's behalf, or admiring a slave girl Boris?  :p   

" I would disregard any "wonkiness" in the Batman figure and instead focus on the brilliant, memorable composition - the idea/concept, the angles, the menace in the Joker which cements the Batman franchise's image makeover from campy 1960s Adam West to the Dark Knight who battles truly psychotic/dangerous villains like The Joker (not the Cesar Romero version). I would disagree with the assessment that the actual rendering is secondary in this case; I think much of what is celebrated about this cover is the artistic merit, just not the figure rendering you are focused on."

;)

giphy.gif

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I would take GL #87 cover over #85 from a significance perspective. 1st John Stewart is more significant than Junky Speedy.

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah, but its a tiny batman in bondage. This cover is for Joker lovers, mostly. 

Sure.  And its the only Joker Adams cover I can recall, so its not like there's a better one.

Batman, most notable bat artist, most notable villain, only cover that checks all those boxes.  

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

If that were true,

Why the confused notification?   I called you on it because you're spinning bats 251 into this post hoc masterpiece.    Its Joker, Bats, Adams.  That simple. 

So if someone says with a straight face that the cover is about the composition and the rendering, I call that bluff amigo!

47 minutes ago, kimik said:

I would take GL #87 cover over #85 from a significance perspective. 1st John Stewart is more significant than Junky Speedy.

The significance of the comic is only one of several key variables that goes into the valuation of the OA.  GL #87 may be more of a key comic, but, GL #85 is far and away the more memorable and desirable cover.

36 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I mean just call it what it is.   Batman.  Joker.  Both facing front.   Checklist is happy.

It's not a box-checking exercise. :makepoint:  If it was, such a small Batman figure would be a very obvious negative - it would be absurd to suggest that a small Batman facing front checks any kind of box in the "pros" column.  This cover is what it is because it is a classic cover, one of the keys to the Joker mythos, key to cementing the transformation of the entire Bat-franchise, viewed by many to be the pinnacle of Adams on his best character, if not the best Adams, period.  It simply is what it is. 

Anyways, as another friend said, it will sell for some massive number because heritage will  have thought through all the possibilities .   That's the bottom line.  

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Why the confused notification?   I called you on it because you're spinning bats 251 into this post hoc masterpiece.    Its Joker, Bats, Adams.  That simple. 

So if someone says with a straight face that the cover is about the composition and the rendering, I call that bluff amigo!

It's no bluff. :gossip:  There's more to the art than just the replication/representation that you classify as "rendering".  It's a brilliant layout/composition - what is happening?  Is it a dream?  If so, large Joker, Ace of Spades, small and helpless Batman - that's some excellent symbolism there, not to mention some great perspective and use of angles.  

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

It sure is :)

You're a lost cause, WATA-boy! 

But, at least I showed you how great Roy Lichtenstein is. :acclaim: 

Just now, delekkerste said:

But, at least I showed you how great Roy Lichtenstein is. :acclaim: 

Took you 10 years, but you ground me down on that point, I concede!