• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It's no bluff. :gossip:  There's more to the art than just the replication/representation that you classify as "rendering".  It's a brilliant layout/composition - what is happening?  Is it a dream?  If so, large Joker, Ace of Spades

batman being the same size as the ace of spades is plagiarism anyways :o

The Ace of Spades is right below Batman's crotch, and right where robin is looking :luhv:

latest?cb=20081128133912

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

And don't forget about all the private sales of marquee pieces at prices reputedly north of $500K...ASM 50, Silver Surfer 4, Hulk 340...and those are just the ones that are more or less widely known and that I can mention (there have been others that I cannot divulge :whistle:).  

All Marvel examples. :baiting:

Maybe you're right... maybe you have been in touch with people who are ready to throw down for this piece north of $250K. And I just don't have access to data like these private sales. If I did, I might feel differently about what I see as compression at the upper end of the OA pool, particularly for non-Marvel art. I just don't see the value in it above $250K when lined up next to some possible Marvel trophies.

4 hours ago, kimik said:

the greatest Batman cover of all-time

That's a tricky one. Since the DKR1 cover is more graphic than illustrative, it might not generate the same excitement. So then that takes you back to the DKR splash. So maybe Batman 251 wins by default?

This is a great cover. I never meant to intimate otherwise. I've never been able to unsee the figure drawing on Bats, but that's just me. But that's not why you buy this cover. You get it for its place in Bat-history.

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

"Is it crazy to sell all my stocks and buy it? Kind of a serious question."

Tell him to call me and I will talk him out of it. lol

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That Joker movie is going to depress the Joker OA market. 

It's going to depress everyone!

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

batman being the same size as the ace of spades is plagiarism anyways :o

The Ace of Spades is right below Batman's crotch, and right where robin is looking :luhv:

latest?cb=20081128133912

The cover for Batman #11 is out there someplace, right?

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:
3 hours ago, kimik said:

I would take GL #87 cover over #85 from a significance perspective. 1st John Stewart is more significant than Junky Speedy.

The significance of the comic is only one of several key variables that goes into the valuation of the OA.  GL #87 may be more of a key comic, but, GL #85 is far and away the more memorable and desirable cover.

Consider yourself off the Christmas card list. 

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

And don't forget about all the private sales of marquee pieces at prices reputedly north of $500K...ASM 50, Silver Surfer 4, Hulk 340...and those are just the ones that are more or less widely known and that I can mention (there have been others that I cannot divulge :whistle:).  

I wanna hear more about those, especially the last two!

In fairness that was a pretty good price back then and I’m sure you could have bought hulk 181s by the truckload for a couple dollars each if that

57 minutes ago, artdealer said:

I originally sold page 4 from GL #76 for Neal back in 1976. 

Price was $250. 

Ow.

MI 

Like Bronty said, I think that was a lot for back then.  First art I ever bought was in 1980 and it was two Neal Adams pieces (Deadman cover for $300 and a nice Batman page for $150) and Adams art was definitely the priciest of the mainstream superhero art.

FWIW:
I'm not a huge DC guy... but I have seen the GL 85 countless times through the years.  Magazine articles, books on the medium, famous cover compilations, etc. 

How big a deal is John Stewart? Is he bigger than Guy Gardner? Bigger than the Golden Age GL?  If Hal Jordan is a tier 2/3 character, where does that put Stewart on the ladder?

7 hours ago, J.Sid said:

FWIW:
I'm not a huge DC guy... but I have seen the GL 85 countless times through the years.  Magazine articles, books on the medium, famous cover compilations, etc. 

How big a deal is John Stewart? Is he bigger than Guy Gardner? Bigger than the Golden Age GL?  If Hal Jordan is a tier 2/3 character, where does that put Stewart on the ladder?

Yeah, I was just busting Gene's balls since I have the John Stewart GL/GA 87 cover and he knows it.  I'd rank the GL/GA 85 cover higher too dang it!

11 hours ago, artdealer said:

Price was $250.

Lot of money, what were "nice" LA Silver Kirby with superhero action pages going for at the time? $100? $150? ASM #50 cover sold for less than that five years later!

On 8/17/2019 at 10:20 AM, comix4fun said:

If I had gone for that I would have a shot at putting together a three page sequence....and living in a van down by the river. 

Worth it!

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Lot of money, what were "nice" LA Silver Kirby with superhero action pages going for at the time? $100? $150? ASM #50 cover sold for less than that five years later!

Here's a page from the catalog where Mitch advertised GL 76, page 4.  You can find links to other pages in the catalog here and see contemporary Kirby art prices:

http://comicartads.com/content/page-2-1

Although the Kirby listings are limited, mostly Jimmy Olsen and second run Cap pages.  The Byrne/Marcos Avengers $25 pages and Byrne/Hunt MTU $25 pages are nice though.  I would have taken 10 of those over an Adams GL page.