• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

One of my favorite comics at seven years of age. Great image of GR flying off the cover on his bike. I wonder artistically if they tried to do too much. The supporting characters come off a bit stiff? Well I still love it the way I did at 7.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F3%2F1%2F8%2F21318179%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Edited by grapeape

24 minutes ago, grapeape said:

One of my favorite comics at seven years of age. Great image of GR flying off the cover on his bike. I wonder artistically if they tried to do too much. The supporting characters come off a bit stiff? Well I still love it the way I did at 7.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F3%2F1%2F8%2F21318179%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I thought about buying this in SD last year.  Very cool cover, but I was told the dealer had this a quite while with no takers.

50 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I don't wanna ruin anybody's fond memories, but that "bike" is killing me.  The proportions, the angle, wondering what is going on with the perspective... is GR's butt back hear the seat, or is he like super small and standing up sorta, or... I just can't.

Also what is Black Widow doing? Compositionally-speaking, and otherwise? Is it made completely out of Dr. Doom's legs? It's one of those comic-isms, where you can tell the artist isn't super strong at drawing motorcycles. Lets put him on the book about a guy who rides a motorcycle everywhere. :)

At 7 Years old, I wouldn't have given half a hoot about any of this.

Edited by ESeffinga

7 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I don't wanna ruin anybody's fond memories, but that "bike" is killing me.  The proportions, the angle, wondering what is going on with the perspective... is GR's butt back hear the seat, or is he like super small and standing up sorta, or... I just can't.

Also what is Black Widow doing? Compositionally-speaking, and otherwise? Is it made completely out of Dr. Doom's legs? It's one of those comic-isms, where you can tell the artist isn't super strong at drawing motorcycles. Lets put him on the book about a guy who rides a motorcycle everywhere. :)

Man, I hear you.  The gauzy nostalgia of a seven year old memory is a powerful force, over-riding everything in it's path.

Edited by stinkininkin

5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Agreed—my fondness remains but my dollars will stay in my pocket. Numerous attempted fixes by the artists I’m sure at the pencil stage. That’s the inference by HA anyways.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:02 AM, glendgold said:

This is pretty good, too.  From Masterworks, and I've never seen it for sale before. 

kirby surfer 1978 masterworks.jpg

Does anybody have a scan of the published piece from Masterworks.  I have a poster taken from this image, but there ar some differences in the background (most notably the sun / planet in the lower right corner) and in the inking here and there (see shadow by SS's righ foot).  I wonder if there are more than one piece of OA for this one... 

Kirby SS poster.jpg

As the co-publisher of the Masterworks book, I can assure you there was only one original done for the back cover. Any other original that looks like the inked back cover was either drawn by Jack later, or inked on a light box by Sinnott.

i had to get permission from Jack to have Sinnott ink the original for the back cover. The pencil version is the inside back cover of the book.

MI

2 hours ago, artdealer said:

As the co-publisher of the Masterworks book, I can assure you there was only one original done for the back cover. Any other original that looks like the inked back cover was either drawn by Jack later, or inked on a light box by Sinnott.

i had to get permission from Jack to have Sinnott ink the original for the back cover. The pencil version is the inside back cover of the book.

MI

Thanks for the explanation, that is pretty clear!  In fact, the two "signatures" on the poster might have been both added by Sinnott in creating the second version.  Still, could someone give me the exact reference of the Marvel Masterwork book where this back cover was published? Is it the Silver Surfer Masterwork bopok? Would love to own that book, can try tro track it down on ebay or something,

Carlo

29 minutes ago, robert frey said:

it is the Jack Kirby Masterworks, Carlo.

kirby masterworks front.jpg

jack kirby masterworks back.jpg

Thank you so much.  Interestingly , this back cover looks the same as my poster but not the same as the Heritage piece. The signatures are different, and the background and the inks in various spots as well . The plot thickens ?

15 hours ago, robert frey said:

ask and ye shall receive

IMG_0046.jpg

1930586044_kirbysurfer.thumb.jpg.968cbe8f619113828e79cf59716bcb37.jpg

kirby surfer.jpg

Thanks a lot Robert.  Those pencils look fantastic.  I will look for a copy of the Jack Kirby  Masterworks!

Now looking at the various scans here is what I see.  There is a pencil page signed by Jack.  Then there is the Heritage page that looks like Sinnott's inks added on the penciled board.  Sinnott made some changes to the background - again look at that sun / planet in the lower right corner - and added his signature.

Then there is the "published" version, that was published as back cover of the Masterworks piece.  That looks like a different ink job by Sinnott, with yet more changes to the backgrounds and different inks on the Surfer and the board.  And Jack's signature also looks different on that one (it is in capital letters and looks like the same writing as Sinnott's, at least on superficial observation).

To add a bit of mystery, by googling Kirby Sinnott Silver Surfer I found yet another version, that looks a lot like the "published" version, but has only Jack's signature, again in capital letters.

Hopefully Heritage's descritpion will shed some light...as a minimum a prospective bidder will want to be reassured that there are Jack's pencils underneath the inks on the page at auction.  Ideally, confirmation that there is no second penciled version of this page, as per the contribution of MI above.

And now I will shut up....

Carlo

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

Thanks a lot Robert.  Those pencils look fantastic.  I will look for a copy of the Jack Kirby  Masterworks!

Now looking at the various scans here is what I see.  There is a pencil page signed by Jack.  Then there is the Heritage page that looks like Sinnott's inks added on the penciled board.  Sinnott made some changes to the background - again look at that sun / planet in the lower right corner - and added his signature.

Then there is the "published" version, that was published as back cover of the Masterworks piece.  That looks like a different ink job by Sinnott, with yet more changes to the backgrounds and different inks on the Surfer and the board.  And Jack's signature also looks different on that one (it is in capital letters and looks like the same writing as Sinnott's, at least on superficial observation).

To add a bit of mystery, by googling Kirby Sinnott Silver Surfer I found yet another version, that looks a lot like the "published" version, but has only Jack's signature, again in capital letters.

Hopefully Heritage's descritpion will shed some light...as a minimum a prospective bidder will want to be reassured that there are Jack's pencils underneath the inks on the page at auction.  Ideally, confirmation that there is no second penciled version of this page, as per the contribution of MI above.

And now I will shut up....

Carlo

Interesting. I see pencils on the HA piece -- most obviously in the places that look to have been changed on your poster. Occam's Razor (or Glen's Not-So-Smart Razor) suggests that when they were about to print the poster, they noticed the pencil marks and so added some ink to give it a better contrast.  Same with Jack's signature, which probably would have looked blotchy, given the production values of the day.  I think there's one version of this piece, what HA is selling, and there probably was a stat somewhere with some reinking on it.  That's just a hunch, but it seems the most likely possibility.