• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Carlo M said:

On a a separate but related topic, Avengers 158 cover is up!  One of the best covers Kirby did for Marvel in the '70s, possibly second only to FF200, IMHO.  Thoughts on final hammer price?

I agree. Definitely one of the very best 70's Kirby. The sky's the limit.

Edited by lb jefferies
typo

9 hours ago, artdealer said:

The short story is, I made a mistake. After doing research, it turns out Sinnott lightboxed the pencils and I sold the original pencils to the consignor after the book was published.

Since the original pencils were sprayed with a fixative so the pencils wouldn’t smear.

The consignor had Sinnott ink the original, and because it is difficult to erase pencils once the art has been spray fixed, is why you still see pencils.

I conveyed this story to Heritage and that is what you see for the listing.

MI

Excellent detective work!  Now the last piece of info that I think Heritage should provide is when Sinnott did the inks on the page up for auction.  The description vaguely says "later".  If I were a bidder I would be (marginally) interested in knowing whether the whole piece is vintage 1978 or pencils 1978 and inks - say - commissioned specifically to put the piece up for this auction. It might have an impact on perception of value upon resale. 

6 hours ago, Carlo M said:

Excellent detective work!  Now the last piece of info that I think Heritage should provide is when Sinnott did the inks on the page up for auction.  The description vaguely says "later".  If I were a bidder I would be (marginally) interested in knowing whether the whole piece is vintage 1978 or pencils 1978 and inks - say - commissioned specifically to put the piece up for this auction. It might have an impact on perception of value upon resale. 

Inks were definitely not done in 1978 or 79. While the art was drawn in 78, the book didn’t come out till mid 79. I didn’t sell the original till a couple months later.

MI

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

Inks were definitely not done in 1978 or 79. While the art was drawn in 78, the book didn’t come out till mid 79. I didn’t sell the original till a couple months later.

MI

I have just sent an email to Heritage asking them to provide  also the date of the inks in the description.  The consignor should know and should be willing to disclose it.  Let's see...

46 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Surprised no one has mentioned the Frazetta Gollum piece.  A classic piece but how much love will it see?

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 6.16.15 PM.png

I think this is a sharp piece and will find a happy home. Not a record breaker but definitely will earn for-the consignor.

31 minutes ago, spider9698 said:

Not a big fan of the painting.   Saw it several times when the consignor had it for sale at SDCC about 10 years ago.   Will be interesting to see where it closes.

I wonder if this is one of those Frazetta oils like Neanderthals where the dusty browns in the background are actually the masonite of the board he was painting on. 

33 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I wonder if this is one of those Frazetta oils like Neanderthals where the dusty browns in the background are actually the masonite of the board he was painting on. 

Glen

My recollection is that it is all oil.

6 minutes ago, spider9698 said:

Glen

My recollection is that it is all oil.

Cool -- good to know. And, not having seen it in person, I have to ask...is that lil' Gollum poking out there to the side of his wrist? 

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Fantastic Four Annual #2 Story Page 10 Doctor Doom Original Art (Marvel, 1964). A key moment from "The Fantastic Origin of Doctor Doom", as it recaps the explosion that drove a wedge between Victor Von Doom and Reed Richards. It was the same explosion which scarred his face. It's pure magic from the Lee-Kirby era! Rendered at twice-up scale in ink over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 12.5" x 18.5". Toned, with production oil stains in lower panels. In Very Good condition.
lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F4%2F7%2F8%2F21478838%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D