• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, romitaman said:

I sold his one not too long ago also...LOL...always fun seeing art come back for auction.

Yeah Mike——I have a hard time giving up pieces I buy. I remember buying a piece from Conrad many years ago.

”when you get tired of it, just call me we’ll get you something else.”

I told him I’ll never sell this. He said “everybody says that but they usually get restless and sell to get something different.”

I still have the piece.

The two you sold coming up for auctions, I guess the buyers are ready for something new. Ha ha.

it must be a kick for you to see your sold pieces as they change hands. It keeps the hobby vibrant I think.

On 10/8/2019 at 2:30 PM, grapeape said:

I can't remember a better auction. This one is an absolute stunner. Kirby the all time genius of comic art. Fear DR. DOOM.

Jack Kirby and Chic Stone Fantastic Four Annual #2 Splash Page 1 Doctor Doom Original Art (Marvel, 1964). You just don't get may incredible full page vintage early 1960s splash panels of major characters such as this! It was a powerful and moody opening to the tale "The Fantastic Origin of Doctor Doom!" The Monarch of Latveria was a harsh and strict ruler, but this story put a new spin on the dictator and made him an all too human character with foibles and flaws no armor could cover. A special tale crafted by the Lee-Kirby team, and this magnificent page was rendered befittingly at twice-up scale in ink over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 12.5" x 18.75". There are some minor production oil stains in the image area and surrounding margins. In Very Good condition.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F4%2F7%2F8%2F21478854%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

A miracle this story is still together, what a crying shame it's (probably) going to be broken up!  For once, hope some deep-pocket collector gets them all!

44 minutes ago, thethedew said:

A miracle this story is still together, what a crying shame it's (probably) going to be broken up!  For once, hope some deep-pocket collector gets them all!

I understand your sentiment. I always rooted for books to stay in tact. That being said, if you've waited for a Doom origin story page for 50 years here's a chance to own at least one of the pages from this story. It's not likely one collector will get all of these. The splash and page 11 together are going to bring monster bids. 

Exceptional cover art by comics master of the macabre. Who wouldn't want a werewolf cover by Wrightson???

What do you all think of this cover?

Bernie Wrightson House of Mystery #231 Cover Original Art (DC, 1975). Some unlucky villagers learn "The Way of the Werewolf" on this cover by horror master Bernie Wrightson. It was for the lead story in the issue and is a fine example of Wrightson's prowess with dynamic action and fluid of movement. Rendered in ink over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 10" x 15.75". The vintage logo and header dressing stat affixed to the top of the board is actually for issue #237 instead. There is some glue residue near the paste-up. The board is toned, with some stains in the lower image area. The background sky has been colored with watercolor and color marker (possibly by Wrightson himself). The piece is signed by Wrightson in the lower margin. In Good condition.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F5%2F6%2F1%2F21561969%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Rorschach example of the highest quality. Reading this as a teen in the 80's I had no concept of original art. I did know I was reading 12 chapters of something special. This would be a dream page to own for Watchmen fans.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F4%2F9%2F2%2F21492253%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

This one is an artistic stunner. So freaking good. The vellum overlay is jarring in the overall composition and may not be everyone's cup of tea. In any case I just cannot deny the sheer Beauty of Sonja by Brunner. Wow. What do you all think about this one?

Frank Brunner Red Sonja #12 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1978). This seems to be the very first Frank Brunner Red Sonja cover that Heritage has ever offered! And it's a very unique Red Sonja cover, as the large Sonja face was produced in ink on a vellum overlay and printed with a color hold-out technique in magenta ink. The main cover image was rendered in ink over graphite on Bristol board with an image area of 9.75" x 15". Signed by Brunner on the overlay. The corner box, logo, and other header dressing are all stat paste-ups. Toned and in Very Good condition.
lf?set=path%5B2%2F1%2F5%2F5%2F5%2F21555972%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

There are at least three pieces of OA I have a serious interest in.  This has to be one of HAs better auctions over the last several years.

My head is spinning. Seriously it’s sensory overload. My mantra always is focus. Focus on one piece and get it. Ha ha easier said then done.

Edited by grapeape

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

My head is spinning. Seriously it’s sensory overload. My mantra always is focus. Focus on one piece and get it. Ha ha easier said then done.

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

I’m starting to feel bad for the piggy...

7AA22381-F17D-472F-8CA8-3738516E8008.jpeg.96bc89652c706f78e2a673c4ff852b93.jpeg

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

What’s the piece you bought from Conrad?

It was 1997

it was less than $5000

it was from one of the  first 10 issues of the heroes comic

it was one of the smartest things I’ve ever done.

:whistle:

2 minutes ago, grapeape said:

It was 1997

it was less than $5000

it was from one of the  first 10 issues of the heroes comic

it was one of the smartest things I’ve ever done.

:whistle:

Just curious, what is “less than $5000” in 2019 dollars?

3 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Just curious, what is “less than $5000” in 2019 dollars?

Lol ok $4500 in 1997=
I don’t want to jinx six figures so I’ll just stay humble and modest.

:news: :headbang:

Edited by grapeape

3 hours ago, grapeape said:

Lol ok $4500 in 1997=
I don’t want to jinx six figures so I’ll just stay humble and modest.

:news: :headbang:

Don’t get me wrong, $4500 for a page is no chump change. Just wondering what $4500 would be the equivalent today? That like paying $9000 for a Paul Pope Batman 100 page today?