• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

well the price and the critique are two different things.    I still don't think its a great frazetta, and the price is looney tunes.  IMHO, and no offense to the buyer.   I just don't think its what people really want in a frazetta.

Except that buyer.

But maybe he’ll come to see it as you do and that’s why he’ll sell it.

Edited by grapeape

19 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Except that buyer.

But maybe he’ll come to see it as you do and that’s why he’ll sell it.

Well, I think every frazetta result these days has to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt.   From the peanut gallery, there seems to be a lot of drive to push that market forward.     Some results could just be strategic for someone.

On 10/14/2019 at 7:36 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not disagreeing with your statement at all.  Just saying there is a minimum valuation that must be meet before you even have that discussion with HA to put your piece in a Sig auction.

It must be a valuation that includes multiple pieces that add up to 3K, or lower end pieces tacked on to a higher-end piece, because lots of art sells for way less than 3K in signature auctions.  

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well, I think every frazetta result these days has to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt.   From the peanut gallery, there seems to be a lot of drive to push that market forward.     Some results could just be strategic for someone.

Surely you aren't suggesting that there is collusion among several parties to artificially drive up prices!  That would be unthinkable!  And illegal!  :ohnoez:

25 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

It must be a valuation that includes multiple pieces that add up to 3K, or lower end pieces tacked on to a higher-end piece, because lots of art sells for way less than 3K in signature auctions.  

I have no idea why my stuff is where it is but I think it will work out in the end. I knew many of my pieces are Sundays but I am surprised a few didn't go signature but it is what it is and yes they want to add good stuff on sundays but I also figure they know what they are doing and I don't so I will take what I get and then re-evaluate. I got a nice consignment deal so I am happy with it all in all.

Edited by Bird
11/24-12/1 people, good art and a nice Mighty Mouse 1 cgc 8.0!

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

Surely you aren't suggesting that there is collusion among several parties to artificially drive up prices!  That would be unthinkable!  And illegal!  :ohnoez:

Well no, I’m not - I’d never cast aspersions of that sort.  I’m also not saying the scenario you paint could never happen, of course.   

As an example, there’s nothing illegal (or immoral IMO) about tripping a high reserve to set a precedent.     If you write a genuine check to create a data point, and you aren’t both buyer and seller, and so on,  there’s nothing wrong with it, even if the creation of the data point is strategic for you.

Example:   you own 92% of Joe Schmucklack’s cover art and go into the market when one pops up being ready willing and able to buy at high numbers.   If someone lists a BIN at what some people feel is 2x FMV, you’re ready to pop that BIN.  

People may say but but but... that’s manipulation!   It’s buying in order to increase the value of your other holdings!   however, what’s the alternative?    That someone deeply invested in an artist can’t buy more?  Or that someone deeply invested in an artist can’t pay more than FMV?   Who decides FMV?    We drift further and further from reality.   If you write the check and it’s a genuine sale, there’s no issue IMO because any other result introduces too many variables .

Separating sales that are “okay” from sales that are “strategic” is a fools errand.   Check = sale = data point.   However, if as a free thinking collector I spot data points I don’t support, I can exercise my right to not follow the herd.

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

Who decides FMV?

We each do, when we bid to win or buy fixed price. (The rest is just "talk" among the non-vested.)

It's also very easy to buy high and appear to know what you're doing...in a bull market ;)

(remember all the online day trading geniuses during dot-com run-up two decades ago?!)

Nonetheless, these herd-like actions (above-board or nefarious, alike) create the devil known as "recent comps".

They are the devil because of the temptation to toss rational analysis into the bonfire against the obvious price action in your face.

That and the basic human psychology of linear thinking (versus cyclical): what's going up will keep going up (and vice versa!) combined with the twin fears of being left behind and ultimately out.

That all creates a false sense of security that because everybody else is doing it, it must be okay ( lol )

(remember all the single-family home buying geniuses during housing run-up fifteen years ago?!)

I favor my own "gut" sense of value much more than "recent comps". (Let's say 75:25 weighting, back of the envelope.)

My math was questioned right here some years back by a once regular and popular Chicago poster. I don't think we know yet which method (RC v "gut") will win out (or lose "less") yet, but I'm sure we will before either of us are dead 'n buried.

Edited by vodou
typo, clarity

Well, in your example I’d argue the math isn’t static either.   In certain situations it’s logical to rely more on ‘gut’ versus ‘RC’, and vice versa in other situations.   

At the end of the day we all have to have our eyes open.

30 minutes ago, Bronty said:

the math isn’t static either

It never is, neither is my gut. What is static is how low I value "recent comps" (and conversely how high I value my own sense of value not the same as anybody's derived "FMV" btw). That's always last place when I'm handicapping something (especially to buy, but even just buttcheeking what something will go for in a post here).

38 minutes ago, glendgold said:

HA's site has been down for a while now -- over 36 hours -- w/out explanation.  Wonder what's up. 

Site front page now says:

"We are experiencing a technical outage that is taking longer than expected to restore. We realize that open auctions are being delayed, and we will repost them and extend them so that everyone can participate. We will notify all consignors and all bidders as soon as we can. Thank you very much for your patience. We are unable to respond to emails at this time, but will do so as soon as possible.

Please check our Facebook and Twitter pages for the latest information."

Edited by Twanj

24 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

In the absence of any further information, and in an abundance of caution, if you've provided Heritage with your bank account details, I'd recommend changing your bank account ASAP.

Naw. FDIC. (except for those high rollers with more than 100k laying about all in that one account ;) )

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

(thumbsu

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Naw. FDIC. (except for those high rollers with more than 100k laying about all in that one account ;) )

Not that it matters in this case, but, the limit has been $250K for more than a decade.