• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That's a whole lot less than $100k for the entire story!

My hammer estimate was based upon a guess of $15K-$20K per page. So, $75K-$100K. 

Who is submitting this? Do we think it's Mike McMahon? Clearly being put up via a British collector/owner. 

2 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Yes. It was either Art Droids or Brit comics or something like that. They had prices on individual pages but said to email form a price on the whole thing. Trying to recall pricing - I think pages ranged 9-17k per page depending on the page  if anyone here has a clearer memory - feel free to post.

That's nuts. And nobody bought any of the pages?!? Huge missed opportunity there. When did they post these? 

So, according to Art Droids, this page is the "first published Judge Dredd image." Its the one where Dredd is riding his bike and firing its cannons. They claim it was used in promotional material before the Prog 2 story was published. Which raises some questions, as I thought Ezquerra did the first Dredd publish image. 

http://www.artdroids.co.uk/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4779&ArtistId=682&Details=0&From=Room

Edited by PhilipB2k17

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

So, according to Art Droids, this page is the "first published Judge Dredd image." Its the one where Dredd is riding his bike and firing its cannons. They claim it was used in promotional material before the Prog 2 story was published. Which raises some questions, as I thought Ezquerra did the first Dredd publish image. 

http://www.artdroids.co.uk/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=4779&ArtistId=682&Details=0&From=Room

That is one confusing description. 

25 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That is one confusing description. 

Yeah. I think they repurposed the same description for all 5 pages of the story. But, I'd like to see some stronger evidence that the McMahon "Dredd on a bike" image was the first published Dredd vs the Ezquerra version. Like, a copy of the first Dredd ad, maybe? And Bleeding Cool wrote a story about the 1st published Dredd story two weeks ago. [Owned by John Bamber]. 

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/13/original-artwork-by-mike-mcmahon-from-very-first-published-judge-dredd-2000ad-story-goes-on-the-block/

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah. I think they repurposed the same description for all 5 pages of the story. But, I'd like to see some stronger evidence that the McMahon "Dredd on a bike" image was the first published Dredd vs the Ezquerra version. Like, a copy of the first Dredd ad, maybe? And Bleeding Cool wrote a story about the 1st published Dredd story two weeks ago. [Owned by John Bamber]. 

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10/13/original-artwork-by-mike-mcmahon-from-very-first-published-judge-dredd-2000ad-story-goes-on-the-block/

It's really unclear where the artdroids piece was published the first time that makes it the first published Dredd. It shows up 4 progs after #2 of course but the description is obviously pointing to some other use but doesn't really define it. 

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's really unclear where the artdroids piece was published the first time that makes it the first published Dredd. It shows up 4 progs after #2 of course but the description is obviously pointing to some other use but doesn't really define it. 

Its referring to the lower right panel image of Dredd on his cycle firing its cannons in the link I provided. Art Droids claims that this image was used to advertise the coming Dredd 2000 A.D. feature, so it is the first "published" image. That contradicts the claim that Ezquerra's Dredd on a bike image was first, which I think jibes with what we know as that Ezquerra image was turned into a stat and pasted onto the first published story, not the "earlier drawn" image Art Droids is referring to. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

8 hours ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

The 2000AD from issue 2 are mine.  I’ve owned them about 10 years or so.  There is a lot of stuff surrounding the first story but it goes something like this.

Carlos Ezquerra created Dredd and his story was supposed to be in 2000AD issue 1.  He had a falling out with the publisher and walked away.  He had drawn the complete story though and it was later published in the 1981 annual special (4 years later).

They needed a new artist and sent a bunch of stories out to various artists.  Mick McMahon was eventually chosen and the first story he drew was eventually published in issue 6.  I believe the reason it wasn’t the first published story was because it was too violent.

I haven’t seen where the first pinup advertising Dredd appeared but it may well be from the issue 6 by McMahon.  The image on page one from my story Is from Carlos’s first story (again published in 1981).

These pages are the first published story appearance of Dredd and I hope a real fan buys them.

Cheers

John

I hope you hang around here more often. You clearly have information we would all value.

14 hours ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

The 2000AD from issue 2 are mine.  I’ve owned them about 10 years or so.  There is a lot of stuff surrounding the first story but it goes something like this.

Carlos Ezquerra created Dredd and his story was supposed to be in 2000AD issue 1.  He had a falling out with the publisher and walked away.  He had drawn the complete story though and it was later published in the 1981 annual special (4 years later).

They needed a new artist and sent a bunch of stories out to various artists.  Mick McMahon was eventually chosen and the first story he drew was eventually published in issue 6.  I believe the reason it wasn’t the first published story was because it was too violent.

I haven’t seen where the first pinup advertising Dredd appeared but it may well be from the issue 6 by McMahon.  The image on page one from my story Is from Carlos’s first story (again published in 1981).

These pages are the first published story appearance of Dredd and I hope a real fan buys them.

Cheers

John

Hey John!!

Hope you're doing well.

Did a bit of detective work, and found this on the internets. This must have been published in 2000 AD Prog #1. But, as you can see, the first "published image" of Judge Dredd is from the Mick McMahon story that was eventually published in Prog #6. How do you treat this? If this were a comic book, you'd not count this as the first appearance of Dredd (There were promotional images of the Action #1 cover in other comics before it was published, but Action #1 is still regarded as Superman's 1st Appearance, of course). But...for OA purposes, its more complicated! Prog #2 is the first published Dredd story. But Prog #6 contains the first published image of Dredd.  :pullhair:

Image result for First adverts for Judge Dredd 2000ad

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Did a bit of detective work, and found this on the internets. This must have been published in 2000 AD Prog #1. But, as you can see, the first "published image" of Judge Dredd is from the Mick McMahon story that was eventually published in Prog #6. How do you treat this? If this were a comic book, you'd not count this as the first appearance of Dredd (There were promotional images of the Action #1 cover in other comics before it was published, but Action #1 is still regarded as Superman's 1st Appearance, of course). But...for OA purposes, its more complicated! Prog #2 is the first published Dredd story. But Prog #6 contains the first published image of Dredd.  :pullhair:

Image result for First adverts for Judge Dredd 2000ad

Yep, this along with the stat on the first page of the issue 2 story is what has led to everyone having an opinion on what is first etc. etc.  

This is why I very clearly stated to Heritage (and they understood) that the pages from issue 2 represent the first published story of Judge Dredd.  To add further weight to this I was contacted by the owners of Rebellion (who own Dredd) as they were very interested in the pages and consider Judge Whitey (as the story is known) to be the first appearance.

Cheers

John

Edited by John Bamber 1973

26 minutes ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

Yep, this along with the stat on the first page of the issue 2 story is what has led to everyone having an opinion on what is first etc. etc.  

This is why I very clearly stated to Heritage (and they understood) that the pages from issue 2 represent the first published story of Judge Dredd.  To add further weight to this I was contacted by the owners of Rebellion (who own Dredd) as they were very interested in the pages and consider Judge Whitey (as the story is known) to be the first appearance.

Cheers

John

For Comic book collecting and publishing purposes, I agree that "Judge Whitey" is Dredd's first official published appearance. But for Original Art purposes, that's a little more complicated in this case. That said, its a wonderful thing, and I am glad you put them up at heritage, where the pages will be seen in perpetuity.

4 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

So where are all the Sal Buscema fans?  

Barely any action on the Captain America 154 cover or Subby 27 cover.

I thought he was supposed to be a Mt. Rushmore artist.

4D chess they be playin' ;)

5 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

When I saw the Kirby/Sinnott Silver Surfer poster art, I nearly cried.  I believe I said, "wow".

That Sal Captain America cover is seeing some action, now.

The Kirby/Sinnott Surfer is not for a poster. It was originally drawn for mine and Larry Shell’s “Jack Kirby Masterwork’s” book from 1978. 
in this case Jack drew the art in pencil, and Sinnott inked it over the original several years later.

7 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

So where are all the Sal Buscema fans?  

Barely any action on the Captain America 154 cover or Subby 27 cover.

I thought he was supposed to be a Mt. Rushmore artist.

Sal Buscema fans are very shrewd in their approach to bidding on Sal Buscema artwork.  They carefully map out the auction, watching bidder interest daily, waiting for the right moment to pounce.