• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

These are dark times indeed brother, the ministry of approved thought hounds us at every corner...we hide our numbers among them and cheer on their five figure starlin and 4 figure Perez pages...biding our time until we can overthrow the orthodoxy and once again walk in the light!

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever.”
 George Orwell, 1984

They have us toil in the factories. they tell us remove all references of Sal Buscema or Silvio Sal Buscema from the Top 5.

Erase them.

Replace them with credits to Don Perlin 2.0 or Pablo Marcos. 

He never was. He never is and he never will be scoff the Cabal.

But our time will come.

Image result for 1984

16 hours ago, grapeape said:

$17,400 w BP currently 1PM West Coast. Too much hype? It's way to early but the BM 251 cover at $312,000 so those in pursuit are showing their hand early. Will the frenzied bidding come late on Cap 103? 

12 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Once the Neal Adams Batman 251 cover was announced, it basically, sucked the life out of all other consignments including the Kirby Captain America 103.

I consider first weekend bidding at Heritage much in the same way I consider first quarter scoring in any given high profile SEC college football game shootout...

Very entertaining to watch but entirely non-predictive of the final score. 

4 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

If I was able to buy art from one of my top 5 artists and nostalgic sweet spot on the cheap, I would hope he stays under the radar.

(shrug)

Unfortunately despite our best efforts, we aren’t quite having success with selling Perlin2.0 yet, but with the new approved price ceiling in place...fingers crossed...the market will return to allowable prices!

Anyone with a  limited budget to buy art is going to keep a close eye on early results.  If they are interested in multiple items, they would rather get blown out early of their max bid for certain items, regroup, then reallocate their resources on other items up for auction they might be interested in.

:idea:

If I get blown out of my max bid on the Adams cover early, I might redirect my attention to a Kirby cover and a few Sal Buscemas.  :nyah:

On 11/4/2019 at 12:30 AM, Grant Turner said:

Based on early bids, which items do you think will increase the most, exponentially? I predict the Wally Wood Daredevil pages (currently 3.6k and 2.9k). They’ll go for 10x that!

The 2000 AD 1st Dredd story is stuck on $15,500 w/o BP. No way it stays that low. 

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The 2000 AD 1st Dredd story is stuck on $15,500 w/o BP. No way it stays that low. 

Given that my consignments are totaling less than 10% of what I hope to realize, I sincerely hope that nothing in this auction stays this low! 

8 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Given that my consignments are totaling less than 10% of what I hope to realize, I sincerely hope that nothing in this auction stays this low! 

There's a pretty simple formula to predict the outcome of any individual auction lot -- anything you're interested in buying will go for 10X what you hoped and anything you've consigned will go for 1/10th X.  I hope this helps.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, Bill C said:

Hey- was there ever any update on Adams being willing to.. ahem... "authenticate" the cover at auction? Or is he still seemingly not sure it's the real deal?

He was selling prints of the OA at his table at the Baltimore Comic Con. :flipbait:

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

There's a pretty simple formula to predict the outcome of any individual auction lot -- anything you're interested in buying will go for 10X what you hoped .  I hope this helps.

And if it doesn't elation quickly fades with self doubt and thoughts of "what did I miss, undisclosed stats, etc.". (but mostly it means you collect stuff no one else cares about)

On 11/3/2019 at 1:49 AM, NelsonAI said:

If I was able to buy art from one of my top 5 artists and nostalgic sweet spot on the cheap, I would hope he stays under the radar.

(shrug)

You would think that yes. However the Our Pal Sal zealots like driving up bids to make a point. Top 5 Sal draws top high bids. Now bow down  to his genius. Renounce you’re mockery and hold him in esteem worthy of a comic art master.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:30 PM, Grant Turner said:

Based on early bids, which items do you think will increase the most, exponentially? I predict the Wally Wood Daredevil pages (currently 3.6k and 2.9k). They’ll go for 10x that!

Yes. That’s a good bet.I think the Avengers Kirby cover and Sal Buscema Cap also going to fly much higher as closing day approaches.

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Hope DC got their cut without having to ask ;) or threaten legal action...

He probably didn't have to. He would own the copyrights if he did them after around 1976 under the revised Copyright Act. Even earlier if he had an agreement with DC thta he was not performing "work for hire" under the old law.

25 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

He probably didn't have to. He would own the copyrights if he did them after around 1976 under the revised Copyright Act. Even earlier if he had an agreement with DC thta he was not performing "work for hire" under the old law.

i'm sure you know better than me but my understanding (and the hobby's in general, I thought) was that the artist owns that one specific original but The Company (unless there's a specific contract otherwise) owns the characters, the logos, trademarks etc. So Neal could keep, burn, or sell his actual unique original but anything else...without further contractual agreement would not be his; it would be DC's.

3 hours ago, grapeape said:

You would think that yes. However the Our Pal Sal zealots like driving up bids to make a point. Top 5 Sal draws top high bids. Now bow down  to his genius. Renounce you’re mockery and hold him in esteem worthy of a comic art master.

The committee will punish these heretics for overbidding, believe that.