• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Or, perhaps we have reached a tipping point in which the weight of all the art out there has finally caused spenders to take a second look at their portfolios and decided they have had enough with the steady stream of increasing prices over the last 30 years, and the beginning of the end of this game of musical chairs is finally coming to an end

Maybe all the Felix Comic Art "art drops" are moving the market ??

41 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Good news for me is I moved some pieces of artwork in the last few days to add to my HA warchest :banana:

Brother you’re not the only one.....this auction top to bottom is going to be a smash. Best we come bid guns a blazing. 

2 hours ago, Bill C said:

There are two pages I want upcoming at HA. The cheaper one comes up first, I may avoid it and just go for the big one. But at this point I don't feel so good spending the $ needed on the piece, even though it's key to me. Been doing some price discovery(TM) on it, rattling the cages and such, as I'm kind of looking for an excuse not to win.

Oh the torment we put ourselves through.

I’ve felt relief at times being out bid.

I’ve felt angry at coming up short.

I’ve said WTF did I do? after winning a highly contested and costly piece.

Seems there can be no pleasure in this game without the excruciating pains that come with it. 

2 hours ago, Bill C said:

There are two pages I want upcoming at HA. The cheaper one comes up first, I may avoid it and just go for the big one. But at this point I don't feel so good spending the $ needed on the piece, even though it's key to me. Been doing some price discovery(TM) on it, rattling the cages and such, as I'm kind of looking for an excuse not to win.

This is exactly how I ended up winning two Peanuts dailies on an HA auction.  There were two I was interested in but the one I really wanted came up second.  I was pretty sure it would go for more than I wanted to pay so I bought the other one for a pretty good price.  I was really happy but watched the other piece and low and behold it went for less than my max and I ended up with both.  Spent a lot more than I planned but I am happy it ended that way.  Last time the exact opposite happened and I ended with nothing.  

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I think The Donnellys and Romitaman should leave their collections to the Library of Congress. Rather than flood the market the loss of that inventory to collectors will strengthen art  collections. Available art will sell robustly.
Mike Burkey might be open to that. Now Los Bros? We’ll have to wait until that one bro “asks his brother.”

Ummm...does Mike know that he might be open to that? lol 

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Ummm...does Mike know that he might be open to that? lol 

If he ever read the boards he would. Since he only randomly posts, uhhh....he probably will be the last to know.

Batman 251 sitting at $396 K with BP.

Cap 103 reserve revealed today at $200 K so next bid, that's $240 K with juice.

FF Annual 2 splash ($115 K w BP) and page 11 ($75 K w BP.)

Ditko ASM 10  $55 K with BP.

Sal Buscema looking like a bargain at gulp $4080 w BP

Sal Buscema and Mike Esposito Sub-Mariner #27 Cover Original Art (Marvel, 1970)

What do you think? It's still early but we're closing in on final bids next week. Do you see fatigue in the bidding on some of the other lots?....will there be game day madness? The jury is till out on the ASM 10 page. Many of us had it at 100 K plus. Will Cap beat $250 K. Will that Sal cover beat 5 K? 

I think Batman 251 is right where it should be if momentum has the chance to carry it past $500 K and beyond. 

Edited by grapeape

22 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Same...I have 7 lots in the sale and, overall, the prices are only about 20% where I realistically expect them to end up. :eek: 

I'm hoping my lots don't fall through the cracks amidst the star-studded line-up they've assembled for the sale.  But, who am I kidding - I've never had much luck consigning art to any of the auction houses, so, I'm fully expecting to be disappointed as per usual.

No worries, tell us which lots they are and we'll put in some bids to help you do a "Burkey". 

On 11/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, delekkerste said:

Same...I have 7 lots in the sale and, overall, the prices are only about 20% where I realistically expect them to end up. :eek: 

I'm hoping my lots don't fall through the cracks amidst the star-studded line-up they've assembled for the sale.  But, who am I kidding - I've never had much luck consigning art to any of the auction houses, so, I'm fully expecting to be disappointed as per usual. :cry:  :sorry: 

Heritage put a lot of high end stuff up at the beginning of the auction. Would yours qualify as second hand Rose, so that if a potential buyer didn’t win his dream piece, yours may make a good secondary substitute? You know the drill: same artist, same character, etc. No guarantees it helps: most people have lots of interests. But it can’t hurt to check.

23 hours ago, grapeape said:

I think you’re going to see your art perform well in the end. Here’s what I see. I have my eyes all over that auction. It’s near impossible to focus and if you know grapeape his mantra is always focus focus focus.

Bidders are really wrestling with how the next 7 days are going to play out. The worst case scenario bidders freak out paralyzed and star struck. Good art falls off the radar and underperforms. Active bidders become sad faced voyeurs.

Now, here’s what I think is actually going to happen. A very few were ready for this auction. The rest of us trying to catch up as the inventory of primo offerings grew and grew.

On the final day most of us are going to come to our senses. Batman 251 is probably not going to be ours and so on. Despite that sadness of that self realization, a weight will lift. The daydreaming about where you should buy the lucky power ball ticket sinks into the floor. Now the focus will return. Where can I grab a solid gold lot? It’s not over it’s just begun.

The Fever will rise in all of us. The battle for Batman 251 will be our Super Bowl. We the giddy drunken side line spectators. 

The rest of the art will somehow seem obtainable in comparison and we will bid bid bid!!!

I think this auction will set records and it will drag all lots upward yours included.

To our buddies delekkerste and zhamlau. your early disappointments I believe caused merely by the fog of war.
When the dust settles you will see well bid sales for your lots.

Right now Sal Buscema is underperforming. Yet can there be any doubt that Sal will rise from the shadows and win the day?

Take heart 

The committee has already alerted Heritage that Sal’s prices have already hit the acceptable threshold for his power ranking.

Edited by zhamlau

On 11/15/2019 at 7:37 AM, delekkerste said:

I'm hoping my lots don't fall through the cracks amidst the star-studded line-up they've assembled for the sale.  But, who am I kidding - I've never had much luck consigning art to any of the auction houses, so, I'm fully expecting to be disappointed as per usual. :cry:  :sorry: 

What are your lots?  I enjoy 80% off.