• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, vodou said:

Hi or lo? I think it's about right. You own this, would you risk ending up with 120k?

I thought it was high but I guess I didn't consider the early date on it. Painted Frazetta's can be had for <100k and I didn't put gollum anywhere near a top shelf piece. But what do I know.

On another note, anyone notice the Sunday has over 1000 lots this week. I need to find some speed to keep me awake for the memorabilia lots that should close around 2am on the east coast. 

On 11/16/2019 at 12:34 PM, eewwnuk said:

What are your lots?  I enjoy 80% off. 

I've got the Enric Torres Vampirella #28 Reinterpretation (from the 1990s, back when Enric was still at the top peak of his powers).  Current bid (all prices are hammer and exclude BP) = $2200.  Received a $10K offer for this a long time ago, but lost the guy's name/contact info when my old e-mail account got hacked/compromised. :cry:  It is stunning in person, the ultimate buyer will be thrilled with this one I'm sure. 

I've got the Jose Gonzalez Vampirella #30 complete story ($3700 current bid; the awesome splash alone is worth that).  Classic 12-page story, should average at least a grand a page hammer even including the complete story discount, and it would still be a good deal at that price.  Also have the Gonzalez Vampi color piece from 1982 (current bid $775, paid $4K for it back in 2003 - it's beautiful and LARGE!!) 

James Jean Fables #6 cover ($9000 current bid, has more than doubled since I last checked, but, still probably worth around double that - early and large Fables cover featuring the entire principal cast, not many of those around...)  JJ is a legit superstar these days; this is a great example. 

Wally Wood First-Ever Appearance of Sally Forth strip from 1968 ($2,000 current bid, I paid $6K years ago and would be a steal at that price today for her first appearance by Wood).  I was asked to lend this piece to an upcoming Wood retrospective in Europe, but, unfortunately I had already sent the piece in to Heritage.  The next owner can be an art-lending BSD after taking this one home! 

Jamie Hewlett Tank Girl & Booga Pin-Up ($825 current bid, which is maybe 20% of FMV with the premium) - period-perfect (1990) published pin-up, both in Deadline Magazine (1990s) and in the Titan Books TPB "Tank Girl Book One" from 2009.  Great piece, but, I decided I only needed one Tank Girl piece in my collection and so decided to let this one go. 

Billy Tucci Overstreet Fan #3 (Shi Variant) Cover - great piece from 1995, when Shi and the Bad Girl craze was all the rage!  $400 is the current bid, should be multiples of that. 

Anyway, given the increase in prices since last week, it's no longer an 80% off sale except for a few pieces...it's still about a 60-65% off sale overall, though!

Edited by delekkerste

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I've got the Enric Torres Vampirella #28 Reinterpretation (from the 1990s, back when Enric was still at the top peak of his powers).  Current bid (all prices are hammer and exclude BP) = $2200.  Received a $10K offer for this a long time ago, but lost the guy's name/contact info when my old e-mail account got hacked/compromised. :cry:  It is stunning in person, the ultimate buyer will be thrilled with this one I'm sure. 

I've got the Jose Gonzalez Vampirella #30 complete story ($3700 current bid; the awesome splash alone is worth that).  Classic 12-page story, should average at least a grand a page hammer even including the complete story discount, and it would still be a good deal at that price.  Also have the Gonzalez Vampi color piece from 1982 (current bid $775, paid $4K for it back in 2003 - it's beautiful and LARGE!!) 

James Jean Fables #6 cover ($9000 current bid, has more than doubled since I last checked, but, still probably worth around double that - early and large Fables cover featuring the entire principal cast, not many of those around...)  JJ is a legit superstar these days; this is a great example. 

Wally Wood First-Ever Appearance of Sally Forth strip from 1968 ($2,000 current bid, I paid $6K years ago and would be a steal at that price today for her first appearance by Wood).  I was asked to lend this piece to an upcoming Wood retrospective in Europe, but, unfortunately I had already sent the piece in to Heritage.  The next owner can be an art-lending BSD after taking this one home! 

Jamie Hewlett Tank Girl & Booga Pin-Up ($825 current bid, which is maybe 20% of FMV with the premium) - period-perfect (1990) published pin-up, both in Deadline Magazine (1990s) and in the Titan Books TPB "Tank Girl Book One" from 2009.  Great piece, but, I decided I only needed one Tank Girl piece in my collection and so decided to let this one go. 

Billy Tucci Overstreet Fan #3 (Shi Variant) Cover - great piece from 1995, when Shi and the Bad Girl craze was all the rage!  $400 is the current bid, should be multiples of that. 

Anyway, given the increase in prices since last week, it's no longer an 80% off sale except for a few pieces...it's still about a 60-65% off sale overall, though!

All girlie art. Coincidence? I think not ;)

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:37 AM, delekkerste said:

Same...I have 7 lots in the sale and, overall, the prices are only about 20% where I realistically expect them to end up. :eek: 

I'm hoping my lots don't fall through the cracks amidst the star-studded line-up they've assembled for the sale.  But, who am I kidding - I've never had much luck consigning art to any of the auction houses, so, I'm fully expecting to be disappointed as per usual. :cry:  :sorry: 

Same with me...5 lots, all of which are about around 30% of fair market value, with the most undervalued currently being the Spiderman #83 complete 22 page interiors.  This issue has a great double page splash of Spidey, and two double page spreads, lots of pages with Spidey in action, and great Mary Jane pages, not to mention a brief appearance/battle with the loveable Shocker.  Basically, just about anything one could want in a complete issue (OK, no Aunt May, but still...) and bidding is at $3.1K, which is $141 per page.

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Same with me...5 lots, all of which are about around 30% of fair market value, with the most undervalued currently being the Spiderman #83 complete 22 page interiors.  This issue has a great double page splash of Spidey, and two double page spreads, lots of pages with Spidey in action, and great Mary Jane pages, not to mention a brief appearance/battle with the loveable Shocker.  Basically, just about anything one could want in a complete issue (OK, no Aunt May, but still...) and bidding is at $3.1K, which is $141 per page.

I doubt I will be contributing much to the buy side. I stumbled on some grail pieces from a private seller. Unlikely anyone would be impressed with my targets. Never even thought they existed— literal grails.

11 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I doubt I will be contributing much to the buy side. I stumbled on some grail pieces from a private seller. Unlikely anyone would be impressed with my targets. Never even thought they existed— literal grails.

You picked my curiosity...

hm

It’s not just the comic art auction underperforming; Heritage’s Contemporary art auction beginning tomorrow has a lot of unbidded pieces. Are we reaching auction fatigue or is it a period of buyer cautiousness heading and extending into 2020?

19 minutes ago, Hekla said:

It’s not just the comic art auction underperforming; Heritage’s Contemporary art auction beginning tomorrow has a lot of unbidded pieces. Are we reaching auction fatigue or is it a period of buyer cautiousness heading and extending into 2020?

There just isn't the usual price discovery going on, that's all for now. Post-auction we can play around with actual hammer numbers, or even more fun...the quantity and quality of lots that are going back to the consignors :)

28 minutes ago, Hekla said:

And yet bids will end up robust!

the only thing rarer than some of these pieces is getting a steal on a heritage auction ;)

Edited by Bronty

9 hours ago, Hekla said:

I still think for the comic OA we’re going to see current under performing bids catch up on final day.

Is there a wary ness due to the hack last month?