• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November HA auction
2 2

1,042 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Copper Age... It's what's for dinner. ®

In it's defense, it's more about black costume Spidey than Byrne, imo. That highly-graphic silhouette has a lot of wall appeal and is very exemplary of the era.

I'm a big fan of black costume Spidey, but, that cover never flipped my wig. :fear: #overrated

17 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Everybody I'm talking to online thinks that's the WTF moment of the auction. 

"A joke" said a BSD that has Byrne covers that would blow this one out of the water

"Insane" said another collector

"STOP IT STOP IT MAKE IT STOP...What a :censored: joke." - me an, uh, unidentified collector 

I've already had my WTF moment of the auction with a lot going way cheaper than expected already. 

The Cockrum Ms. Marvel 17 cover falling short of 20K. 

I mean, this cover has been the pervy-fan-boy-overt-freudian-fantasy-set-female-heroes-back-to-the-stone-age standard setting cover for the last 40 years. 

Figured there'd be more of a fight over who gets to own fapping rights to it. 

11 minutes ago, Bronty said:

We get it, you like Sal.   Most of the rest of us are indifferent.   It just is what it is.    That doesn't make him a hack, but I can't manufacture enthusiasm

Oh come on, its all in good fun. No need to get all serious.

I think you have to take all the talk here with a grain of salt, I certainly was. He is what he is. I was just having fun pointing out the tangible facts like what the market thinks he is worth, and how much actual work he did compared to others.

:tink:

18 minutes ago, Bronty said:

fixed 

Haha, at some point...ive seen sketches lol...but man someone dumped a LOT into that page assuming Bob had worked on it...I just dont know if he ever did. Anyone know why that book and certain others of the era are credited to him ?

12 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Based on what I'm seeing so far today, your consignments are looking golden Gene!  

lol 

Well, the blue chip mainstream stuff today is doing great (and that crumb was gold plated blue chip underground material)...we'll see tomorrow how much that extends into more niche parts of our hobby.  I'm still pessimistic (about my lots...I'm sure everyone else's will do great). :( 

That said, these stunning Marvel prices (both here and in other recent HA sales, and also dealer sales this year) make me think that people need to wake up and realize that we're not in 2014 anymore.  Can you imagine the ridicule someone would have gotten if they put a $288K price tag on that FF Ann. 2 splash on their dealer wall?  Or $90K for the Byrne PPSS cover?  A lot of people told me that I was crazy to think that the ASM #299 cover was a $150-175K piece, and that it shouldn't be more than $125K.  And yet, it was rumored to sell for around $200K (!!) at SDCC.  

All of which is to say:  I may try to start moving some of my better mainstream art at prices that I think they're worth.  I've already recently turned down two comp-shattering offers for one of my better mainstream pieces.  Throw out the comps, the market for the better pieces is higher than where most people think it is. :preach: 

That Ploog Ghost Rider 9 cover going for 30k (36k with juice) makes me happy because I love vintage Ploog, and this was a nice one.  My buddy consigned this one and I grossly under guessed my estimate because I  always think the Ploog market is fairly niche, but I was pleasantly surprised that nice art is rewarded with a solid auction result.

Just now, stinkininkin said:

That Ploog Ghost Rider 9 cover going for 30k (36k with juice) makes me happy because I love vintage Ploog, and this was a nice one.  My buddy consigned this one and I grossly under guessed my estimate because I  always think the Ploog market is fairly niche, but I was pleasantly surprised that nice art is rewarded with a solid auction result.

Its a great cover plus it is a cover from the series where Ghost Rider first appeared. And his 5th cover appearance.

12 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Thought the Ditko ASM 10 page went cheap!

Def. room on that one. Hasn't been a panel page this nice up for auction in a few years. 

10 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

Its a great cover plus it is a cover from the series where Ghost Rider first appeared. And his 5th cover appearance.

Yeah, I get that.  I don't own Ploog Ghost Rider covers, but I have nice pages from Marvel Spotlight 5--GR first appearance and origin story.  So I know what I was looking at, but Ploog collectors are sort of a misbegotten fraternity and I think we sometimes under estimate the appeal of great GR, WWBN and other Ploog masterpieces, dollar values aside. I'm just always a little surprised when the market agrees with us.

Edited by stinkininkin

35 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

2000AD #2 5 pager coming up. Already at $72k pre-live bidding. 

Be interested to see where that lands. 

Well I was holding my breath for a lot of the last couple weeks but in the end very happy with the final hammer.  Before I put it up for auction I asked one of the premier 2000ad collectors for his estimate and he said $18k.

Just now, John Bamber 1973 said:

Well I was holding my breath for a lot of the last couple weeks but in the end very happy with the final hammer.  Before I put it up for auction I asked one of the premier 2000ad collectors for his estimate and he said $18k.

Unless that's a "per page" estimate I am wondering how he got to that number. lol 

It doubled in the minutes before it went live from $36k to $72k and then jumped again to $90k, so a very nice showing. Congrats!!

2 minutes ago, John Bamber 1973 said:

Congrats!